New sound footage of the Fort from 1976 including the FW Railroad

Greetings all!  My first post here, so feel free to move this to the right category if needed.

We recently completed a restoration of a Super8 home movie from 1976 that I think you will all enjoy. There is general footage of the Fort from 1976. There are great scenes of the beach/boat area, Meadows Depot, Settlement Depot and more! And of course, some of the best footage of the FWRR I've seen. Enjoy!

(We have some great vintage River Country footage too if anyone is interested).

Full article about the film: http://www.retrodisneyworld.com/imageworks/films/art-and-linda-go-to-fort-wilderness-including-fw-railroad-restored-super8-film

-RetroWDW

Great video! Check out the fire under the locomotive at 8:30. I remember a lot of the stuff that is now gone....the mulch paths, the abundance of white sand shoreline on the lake, riding the train....

It is weird to see how different the trees were back then. Some areas are much more wooded and some have very young trees growing.

1 hour ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Were the bikes in the movie that had the tall flags on them rentals back then?

I wondered that too. I think it was a thing back then because I can remember some of my friends having those orange flags on their bikes.

3 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Were the bikes in the movie that had the tall flags on them rentals back then?

1 hour ago, dvccamper said:

I wondered that too. I think it was a thing back then because I can remember some of my friends having those orange flags on their bikes.

Those flags were a thing for a while in the 70's.  My brother, sisters and I had them on our bikes.

But, those might be rental bikes.

The flags on the bikes made me think of a scene in this video- fast forward to 5:50, and you'll see a lot of bikes with flags following a big hippie on a small pony around the 400 loop at the Fort.  Then the hippie escapes on the FWRR.  It's pretty amazing:

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The flags on the bikes made me think of a scene in this video- fast forward to 5:50, and you'll see a lot of bikes with flags following a big hippie on a small pony around the 400 loop at the Fort.  Then the hippie escapes on the FWRR.  It's pretty amazing

Wow, that's some video, I'm going to have to go back and watch the whole thing when I have time.  I did see the bike scene though and all I can say is, that poor pony who had to take the hippie for a ride!  Couldn't they have found a horse for him to ride?  Or maybe hippies have a thing against horses.

9 minutes ago, dvccamper said:

Wow, that's some video, I'm going to have to go back and watch the whole thing when I have time.  I did see the bike scene though and all I can say is, that poor pony who had to take the hippie for a ride!  Couldn't they have found a horse for him to ride?  Or maybe hippies have a thing against horses.

Dirty hippies got away with a lot in the '70's.  It's one of the main reasons I don't trust them now.

TCD

Great video, thank you for giving us all some memories.  Seeing the train almost makes me sick, although it had just been taken out of service for a short time when we first started going to the Fort, being a railfan and a Disney fan both, I just lament the fact that it was discontinued.