Club 33....get your checkbooks out

I think this shows (again!!) that Disney no longer sees their market as the "average" family with an "average" income.  Just add this to the private cabanas, exclusive evening events, added dining and viewing events, and all the other things that the rest of us mere mortals do without.

The problem from my perspective is that with more and more seperately priced events going on that means there is more time (or viewing space) taken away from everyone else who can only manage the general admission.  Paying for some to play in more time and space means that fewer get to play.:wacko:

23 minutes ago, lightbikes said:

I think this shows (again!!) that Disney no longer sees their market as the "average" family with an "average" income.  Just add this to the private cabanas, exclusive evening events, added dining and viewing events, and all the other things that the rest of us mere mortals do without.

The problem from my perspective is that with more and more seperately priced events going on that means there is more time (or viewing space) taken away from everyone else who can only manage the general admission.  Paying for some to play in more time and space means that fewer get to play.:wacko:

That's my biggest gripe.

If people have that much disposable income to spend at Disney more power to them.  But with the amount of $$$ Disney makes, they should be building separate places for these high rollers, and not taking up time and space from the general population.

In every park they have some sort of special $$$ program that takes away prime viewing space, causing everyone else to get smashed together into the less desirable areas.

On 4/14/2017 at 3:47 PM, lightbikes said:

Agreed. Disney has clearly forgotten what their namesake's original vision was.

I know this has been said many times here (too many :()  but it needs saying again:  Walt must be spinning in his grave....

On 4/14/2017 at 4:16 PM, Travisma said:

That's my biggest gripe.

If people have that much disposable income to spend at Disney more power to them.  But with the amount of $$$ Disney makes, they should be building separate places for these high rollers, and not taking up time and space from the general population.

In every park they have some sort of special $$$ program that takes away prime viewing space, causing everyone else to get smashed together into the less desirable areas.

I am a Free-Market person and I don't begrudge any Private Company from pursuing profit, especially when it creates healthy competition, but in many cases now Disney is chasing the high rollers at the direct expense of their customer base and the original company focus on family friendly entertainment.

I think they have realized that their customer base is so wide and deep that they can lose thousands of "average" families that get priced and/or irritated into not coming anymore and it doesn't bother them since they know there are plenty that will take their place....

9 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

Agreed. Disney has clearly forgotten what their namesake's original vision was.

I know this has been said many times here (too many :()  but it needs saying again:  Walt must be spinning in his grave....

I am a Free-Market person and I don't begrudge any Private Company from pursuing profit, especially when it creates healthy competition, but in many cases now Disney is chasing the high rollers at the direct expense of their customer base and the original company focus on family friendly entertainment.

I think they have realized that their customer base is so wide and deep that they can lose thousands of "average" families that get priced and/or irritated into not coming anymore and it doesn't bother them since they know there are plenty that will take their place....

Essentially we are nothing more then "pop up kleenex" use it and throw away because there's always another in the box !

We all complain about ever increasing prices and getting less bang for our buck, but...

Has Disney ever been a family budget friendly place to vacation?  As far back as I can remember it's always been a premium brand.  

Even in the begin Disneyland was priced higher than other amusement parks.  

When Disneyland opened they were the first amusement attraction to charge an entry fee.    Unheard of in the industry at the time.     And don't forget as well as the entry fee you have to purchase a book of tickets. 

Growing up in Southern California, going to Disneyland was a treat. I was lucky because my parents took us once a year. For one day.   Not 4-7 days like most people do at WDW now.    

Club 33

Remember Walt opened Club 33. 

Why?

To host investors.  So his company could grow and make more money.  

And in 1967 it was opened to VIPs. And yes they sold memberships. 

Theres nothing new about raising prices and exclusive paid events.    

17 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

We all complain about ever increasing prices and getting less bang for our buck, but...

Has Disney ever been a family budget friendly place to vacation?  As far back as I can remember it's always been a premium brand.  

Even in the begin Disneyland was priced higher than other amusement parks.  

When Disneyland opened they were the first amusement attraction to charge an entry fee.    Unheard of in the industry at the time.     And don't forget as well as the entry fee you have to purchase a book of tickets. 

Growing up in Southern California, going to Disneyland was a treat. I was lucky because my parents took us once a year. For one day.   Not 4-7 days like most people do at WDW now.    

Club 33

Remember Walt opened Club 33. 

Why?

To host investors.  So his company could grow and make more money.  

And in 1967 it was opened to VIPs. And yes they sold memberships. 

Theres nothing new about raising prices and exclusive paid events.    

Agreed, they are a company out to make a $$$$, but when they take away items from the general population to support the high rollers it kinda stings.

But we don't know if they're going to use space that will affect the general public. There's lots of areas that are not being used all over Disney World where they can put a new club 33. 

Take for example club 33 at Disneyland. I bet the average guest doesn't even know it exists. Let alone know where it's at. 

Or look at the Siemans lounge at Epcot. Again I bet most people don't even know exists or where it's at. And it doesn't take away from the general public. 

Me personally, I just hope to be one of those high rollers that can afford some of those perks. That have been at WDW since it opened.

39 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

But we don't know if they're going to use space that will affect the general public. There's lots of areas that are not being used all over Disney World where they can put a new club 33. 

Take for example club 33 at Disneyland. I bet the average guest doesn't even know it exists. Let alone know where it's at. 

Or look at the Siemans lounge at Epcot. Again I bet most people don't even know exists or where it's at. And it doesn't take away from the general public. 

Me personally, I just hope to be one of those high rollers that can afford some of those perks. That have been at WDW since it opened.

I'm talking about them taking up prime viewing areas for the different parties etc.  Like the Star Wars Desert Party, shutting down the Riverboat for the Tiana's Ice Cream Social, the white tent fiasco, etc.  If they want to make special events for high rollers than they should either convert space that is not open to the general public, or build new areas.

Bottom line is that it's a free market; Disney can do what they want with their assets within the confines of the law, and we can spend our dollars how we best perceive the return for our families lies.  I haven't been inside a WDW park since our Christmas 2014 trip, and I don't see the parks holding enough value for me to bring my family back until possibly SW land opens, and then I'm not even sure as we just don't do well with huge crowds.  But the Fort still provides enough value to be worth my money, at least once a year or so.  We all are blessed to be in that position of deciding how we spend our money.  If anyone disagrees with the direction management is taking Disney World, vote with your dollars.    

35 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Bottom line is that it's a free market; Disney can do what they want with their assets within the confines of the law, and we can spend our dollars how we best perceive the return for our families lies.  I haven't been inside a WDW park since our Christmas 2014 trip, and I don't see the parks holding enough value for me to bring my family back until possibly SW land opens, and then I'm not even sure as we just don't do well with huge crowds.  But the Fort still provides enough value to be worth my money, at least once a year or so.  We all are blessed to be in that position of deciding how we spend our money.  If anyone disagrees with the direction management is taking Disney World, vote with your dollars.    

Agree. You've decided the parks are not a good value for family and you've spoken with your pocket book.   

Im not there. Yet. But I spoke with my pocket book when it comes to the high cost of Disney resorts. because we have decided staying on property is not worth the value to us.   For the price of a premium site or a value resort we can stay at a 4 star property with all of he amenities of a Disney deluxe resort.   And we are closer to Epcot and HS than the mother norail deluxe resorts  

No we don't have "magic" or the monorail. But I can sit on my balcony and watch the Epcot and HS fireworks. 

• 8 months later...

The original Orlando Sentinel article linked above stated that Disney confirmed that Club 33 would be coming to WDW.

Since then, nothing.

What happened?

This article explores that question:

https://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20171204/33473/whatever-happened-club-33-walt-disney-world

One thing is for sure- there has been no obvious marketing of memberships. 

TCD

On 4/17/2017 at 9:31 AM, h2odivers...Ray said:

Just don't forget your favorite sister. 

11 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The original Orlando Sentinel article linked above stated that Disney confirmed that Club 33 would be coming to WDW.

Since then, nothing.

What happened?

This article explores that question:

https://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20171204/33473/whatever-happened-club-33-walt-disney-world

One thing is for sure- there has been no obvious marketing of memberships. 

TCD

Very interesting. I think there would still be a market, especially because so many companies do annual conventions in Orlando. Pricing might have to look different, but I think it could still be successful. 

I'm surprised the location under construction at the MK hasn't been named. That's where I thought it was going to be... where Tink used to meet... can't remember the name. 

On 4/17/2017 at 8:31 AM, h2odivers...Ray said:

16 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Since Ray and I were born exactly a year and a day apart in the same country (not the US) clearly that favorite sister is me. 

18 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Very interesting. I think there would still be a market, especially because so many companies do annual conventions in Orlando. Pricing might have to look different, but I think it could still be successful. 

I'm surprised the location under construction at the MK hasn't been named. That's where I thought it was going to be... where Tink used to meet... can't remember the name. 

1 hour ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Since Ray and I were born exactly a year and a day apart in the same country (not the US) clearly that favorite sister is me. 

If I can afford it and my DW allows it.  You’re both invited.  

On 12/21/2017 at 3:27 PM, h2odivers...Ray said:

If I can afford it and my DW allows it.  You’re both invited.  

Whooo Hoooooooo!

On 12/24/2017 at 6:13 PM, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

How about a Fort Fiend corporate membership?

Excellent idea! 

• 1 month later...

The WDWMAGIC site reported that Disney has begun offering Club 33 memberships to Golden Oak home owners:  

Reportedly, residents of Golden Oak have been approached about membership to Club 33, with pricing put at around $25,000 joining fee, and dues of $15,000 per year.

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/news/26jan2018-club-33-sales-beginning-at-walt-disney-world.htm

Also, I have heard through the grapevine that Disney has hired its initial Club 33 CM team, and they are currently being trained for the lounges to be open this spring. Initially, only the venues at Epcot and DHS will be open, with the MK venue following later this year. The Epcot lounge will be located above the American Experience pavilion, and the DHS lounge will be located above the Disney Junior theater, with the entrance adjacent to the Brown Derby restaurant. The MK lounge will be adjacent to the Skipper Canteen restaurant. The DAK venue has not been disclosed- even to CM's. It is very interesting to note that these venues are lounges only- not full service restaurants, like the original Club 33 in Disneyland. 

So $40K to have access to two repurposed vacant spaces to buy overpriced cocktails and appetizers.  Good luck with that.

TCD