A TCD Easter at The Fort Trip Report

On 4/27/2017 at 9:44 AM, DaveInTN said:

Couple of comments.

First, regarding the quote above....cherish the times you still have where you'll all be under the same roof.  Once they start marrying, those days are done.  Same with vacation.  It's not a bad thing necessarily.  I love how our lives are changing.  But it does make me sad when I think that we'll never go to the Fort again as a family of 7.  Our trip last month was without our Gwen.  And although we hope to do a trip someday where she and her husband will join us, it will surely be different.  Still good, just different.   

Yep 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couple of comments. First, regarding the quote above....cherish the times you still have where you'll all be under the same roof.  Once they start marrying, those days are done.  Same with vacati

Sadly, this photo says it all. Fort Wilderness just isn't a campground anymore. It's a poorly designed parking lot with an annoying smattering of trees. It's just a sad reflection of modern suburban A

What's this? A new trip report! Remember those? I liked it back in the day when Fiends would post trip reports. Now people go, and they come back, and nothing. But, that's not

The thing no one has noted is health impact. I don't know how many hours sitting on the couch, eating chips while watching TV have been replaced by walks with the Bandit / Thor or trips to the dog park. plus, for some reason they are always happy to see me.

Note: it must really be dry. Spring / Easter TCD TRS are usually interlaced with a photo tour of the local blooming foliage.

Sonny, true love is the greatest thing in the world. Except for a nice MLT, a mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe. They're so perky, I love that. But that's not what he said! He distinctly said "to blave." And, as we all know, "to blave" means "to bluff," huh? So you're probably playing cards, and he cheated

Are you coming down into the Pit? Westley's got his strength back. I am starting him on The Machine tonight.

Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work. But, I've got my country's five hundredth anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it. I'm swamped.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 2:10 PM, Memphis said:

We did the pay for an extra day thing once too.  It was nice to sit under the awning sipping coffee while everyone else was packing up.  Grilled up some burgers and dogs for a late lunch/dinner and headed home about 7PM.  It was nice since we didn't have APs at the time.  Normally, when we had AP we would just pack up and head to AK and park in the RV lot.  Guess now that it’s an 11 hour drive home instead of less than 2 hours, we will not be doing that again.

11 hours.

Ugh.

I guess you do need to hit the road early.

I'm not sure I'll pay for an extra night just to stay for the day again.  It bugged me that I had to leave.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:21 PM, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

This TR is flying by much too quickly!  Where are the pictures of Mrs. TCD?  Did I miss them?

Nope.  Mrs. TCD was only with us for about 24 hours.  She didn't have time to pose for photos.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:05 PM, WannaBeImagineer said:

Must be nice!

Feel free to break the rules and take some pictures!

WBI

It was nice.  And I didn't have to break any rules for our Pandora preview. Photos were allowed everywhere, except in the room where they had the Flight of Passage ride vehicles.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:07 AM, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

I will be the first to admit I love to ride on the back of a nice Harley. However I do not like obnoxious riders who love to make their bikes roar. We have a neighbor that works the night shift and drives his bike to work everyday. Everyday he wakes me up at 2:30 as he drives by blaring his music and gunning his bike making the most noise possible. I have started running a fan in our room to block his noise.

Fun fact on deer:

"In fact, the average white tail can jump over an obstacle that is not 5, 7, or 8 feet high but 12 or more feet high– taller than virtually any barrier deer fence. In fact, to the astonishment of deer control experts, the U.S. Department of Agriculture rates white tail deer as being able to jump 15 feet high."

Trying to keep these buggers out of your garden is a real pain. We have dogs that keep the deer off but most folks build huge fences.

I think cabins on Discovery Island would be an awesome idea. Thinking of that place brings back fun but smelly memories lol.

How was the banshee? Having moton sickness issues, it looks like a real puker.

Here's a little known fact- there was a brief period of time when I was in my early 20's when I owned and operated a motorcycle.  I had an opportunity to buy a Harley once, too. And I thought about it.  I have nothing at all against motorcycles.  But, a nice, quiet campground is no place for knuckleheads to be revving their loud engines and creating a nuisance.

I didn't know deer can jump that high.  Wow.

The banshee ride was awesome!  I'd rate it in the top 5 of all WDW attractions.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:21 AM, Momof6....aka Marty said:

Is "ride a banshee" a euphemism for something?

Love the early morning Fort pictures!

Yes, "ride a banshee" is a euphemism for the Flight of Passage ride in Pandora. Which I rode last Thursday.

For more info and photos:

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:08 AM, keith_h said:

Cabins on Discovery Island would be a good idea. I'd give it a try for sure.

The Dept. of Natural Resources officer for our area declared them a nuisance animal in our neighborhood and has given us a year round deer permit for the past ten years. It's the only way to keep them under control. I've been seeing coyotes on and off for about the past year so hopefully they'll start bringing down the population as well. 

I did fence my garden. Due to terrain it ranges from 6-8 ft tall. Since putting it up I haven't had a deer go in. In part I think it has to do with the fence itself and how it relates the rows and plant supports inside. I've found deer are lazy. As they can find other food on our property and the adjoining woods it isn't worth the risk of a jump. Before the fence it was a different story.

I wonder what Disney does to control its deer population?  They must do something- especially since they trapped and removed a bunch of gators last year.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:57 PM, caveat lector said:

The thing no one has noted is health impact. I don't know how many hours sitting on the couch, eating chips while watching TV have been replaced by walks with the Bandit / Thor or trips to the dog park. plus, for some reason they are always happy to see me.

Note: it must really be dry. Spring / Easter TCD TRS are usually interlaced with a photo tour of the local blooming foliage.

Good point about the health benefits of owning a dog. Rocky and I take a mile+ walk every morning.  It's good for both of us.  But we both like to sit on the couch too.

Very insightful comment about local blooming foliage.  Stay tuned for the next update.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:20 PM, sherryberry said:

I'm very late to the party, but here! Love the Rocky pictures! And the bunny fondue was adorable! That crowded loop looks so uncomfortable to me - I don't think I could handle that. Thanks for another trip report!

Thanks for reading and commenting. I know that I would not enjoy staying on that stretch of the 300 loop too.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:01 AM, mmfancipher said:

I consider deer as RUSes, Rodents of Unusual Size.  They are everywhere here in Iowa.  Deer bodies can be found along the Interstates and highways all year round.  Lots of vehicle damage and personal injuries and deaths.

I thought this was a serious comment, but it sure led to a weird hijack.

One thing that does bother me about the proliferation of deer around WDW is that it could lead to car accidents and injuries.  I had a friend who totaled his car and was badly injured by a collision with a deer.  It's not a big concern in and around the Fort, because the speed limits are low, but there are places on WDW property where the speed limits are 55, and that could be a bad situation.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:18 AM, DaveInTN said:

Inconceivable.

Here we go.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:19 AM, mmfancipher said:

You keep using that word.  I don't think it means what you think it does.

This seemed like a harsh criticism of DIT's post. I had no idea it was a movie quote until I saw the avalanche of weird responses that followed.

I finally had to Google some of these, and see that they're from the Princess Bride movie.

Never saw it.

TCD

3 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

This seemed like a harsh criticism of DIT's post. I had no idea it was a movie quote until I saw the avalanche of weird responses that followed.

I finally had to Google some of these, and see that they're from the Princess Bride movie.

Never saw it.

TCD

WHAT??

Again....inconceivable!

I will readily admit that I am left out of most movie discussions, as I see very few movies.  But this one happens to be one of my favorites.