A TCD Easter at The Fort Trip Report

7 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

WHAT??

Again....inconceivable!

I will readily admit that I am left out of most movie discussions, as I see very few movies.  But this one happens to be one of my favorites.  

The Princess Bride seems to be a favorite among the Fiends.

I tried to figure out how it is that I've never seen it.

I saw that it came out in 1987. Which is the same year that I married Mrs. TCD and we bought a house and started living as adults.  I guess I considered it a kid movie, and had no interest in it.  Neither of us were big TV or movie watchers.  When the kids came along, we were into Disney and such. None of us have seen the Princess Bride.  Prince Diaries yes.  Many times.  Princess Bride.  Nope.

6 minutes ago, mmfancipher said:

My original comment was serious.  Deer do a lot of damage here in Iowa.

Princess Bride is a MUST see!

Gotcha.  I thought maybe Rodents of Unusual size was a Princess Bride quote.

TCD

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couple of comments. First, regarding the quote above....cherish the times you still have where you'll all be under the same roof.  Once they start marrying, those days are done.  Same with vacati

Sadly, this photo says it all. Fort Wilderness just isn't a campground anymore. It's a poorly designed parking lot with an annoying smattering of trees. It's just a sad reflection of modern suburban A

What's this? A new trip report! Remember those? I liked it back in the day when Fiends would post trip reports. Now people go, and they come back, and nothing. But, that's not

I hate to interrupt a truly impressive thread hijack by posting this update, but I need to get this TR finished up so I'll be ready for some new stuff that will be happening this month.

Looking at what's left in the PhotobucketTM, I probably could stretch this batch of photos in to two posts, but I think it's best to just get this done.

So, it's still Monday morning, April 17th.

I am not in a hurry to start packing up, because I have all day, and there was no chance of any rain.  Which is a very unusual thing for my trips to the Fort.  It was nice that the camper and all of my equipment was completely dry.

We left off in the last update at the closed concierge window.

Now, we are around the corner looking at the overgrown butterfly garden that's planted here.  This garden has gotten progressively bigger over the years, and it was kind of overgrown:

4%2014%2017%20398_zpsxrslqkqo.jpg

I don't recall ever seeing this sign here before.  Apparently, there are lots of signs like this posted around WDW:

4%2014%2017%20399_zpsfdfq4pmk.jpg

There is good old Tri-Circle-D Ranch.  One of my favorite spots in WDW.  For good reason- they named it after me:

4%2014%2017%20400_zpsw2esgxsm.jpg

I wonder how many guests know that the tall vine-covered object sticking up there left of center is the old windmill?

The big field/future parking lot here wasn't looking too bad, considering that we are in drought conditions here in Florida.  They have a pretty extensive irrigation system around the Settlement area.  Once they level and pave this, they won't have to worry about all this unsightly open space:

4%2014%2017%20401_zpshfgduvpg.jpg

4%2014%2017%20402_zpseodrjmn8.jpg

It looked like I was the only guest visiting the ranch this early in the morning- all I could see was the ponies:

4%2014%2017%20403_zpsj7yqjtc8.jpg

Here we are approaching the base of the windmill, where you will find another water fountain offering ice cold water with a distinct metallic/sulphuric taste:

4%2014%2017%20404_zpso3iaukmm.jpg

I wouldn't come here for the water fountain, but I would definitely come here to catch a whiff of the confederate jasmine that is blooming:

4%2014%2017%20405_zpstyql1its.jpg

I have a nice confederate jasmine vine growing at my house.  The vine here didn't have many blooms higher up.  I think that could be a consequence of the dry weather:

4%2014%2017%20406_zps4upmgkja.jpg

Next to the jasmine vine, I noticed that the gardenia bush was blooming:

4%2014%2017%20407_zpsqiebdyby.jpg

Hey, look- the moon!:

4%2014%2017%20408_zpst4z5duti.jpg

There isn't much on earth that smells better than a gardenia flower:

4%2014%2017%20409_zpss6csaanp.jpg

Unfortunately, the jasmine and gardenia really had to compete with the overpowering pony scent that was coming from the adjacent ranch. The lack of rain was to blame for that:

4%2014%2017%20410_zpsogqpkhoj.jpg

It was too early for the Blacksmith to be on duty, but it looked like he had been here recently:

4%2014%2017%20411_zpshl7xjl4n.jpg

Look- there are two brand new horseshoes hanging there on the fence rail:

4%2014%2017%20412_zps9jniehdg.jpg

And there's a spray bottle of something that got left out:

4%2014%2017%20413_zpszdg4tm3v.jpg

The top board here where they tie up the horses is new, and that metal strip is new too.  Too bad for the horses that liked to chew on the old board:

4%2014%2017%20414_zpspvnoqghj.jpg

This wagon is weird.  It's too small to use to take guests for pony rides.  So, why is it here?:

4%2014%2017%20415_zpsfldpf8xl.jpg

Hold that thought.

The barn doors were open, but there was a truck in there, and I could see that CM's were cleaning the horse stalls:

4%2014%2017%20416_zpskwfvwzdc.jpg

Some of the horses were out back:

4%2014%2017%20417_zps2o7jo96m.jpg

I couldn't go in to visit the barn, so I took a final deep sniff of the jasmine, and headed out:

4%2014%2017%20418_zps0vdj8nn4.jpg

Here are a couple of Pioneer Hall at sunrise photos:

4%2014%2017%20419_zpsfoaamyyb.jpg

4%2014%2017%20420_zpsu0mewn88.jpg

Here's a site on the 400 loop with some Easter decorations:

4%2014%2017%20421_zpsrcltbb1y.jpg

Remember how I couldn't rock in one of the Meadow Trading Post rockers the day before because I had Rocky with me? I decided to head back there to rock some before the Trading Post opened:

4%2014%2017%20422_zpsdp6nrbbw.jpg

It's hard to believe that there used to be train tracks here, and the Fort Wilderness Railroad would stop here in front of the trading post:

4%2014%2017%20423_zps829zuz1z.jpg

It's been a while since I took a photo of this old Fort Wilderness decal, so I snapped a photo to show that there are still some Musket Mickeys around:

4%2014%2017%20425_zpsl8xxrfmx.jpg

Hey look - one of the last remaining metal recycling cans.  There is already a bear-proof trash can here on the porch.  I guess they'll put one of the giant recycling cans here soon:

4%2014%2017%20426_zpsdr9gzvzp.jpg

I grabbed one of those rocking chairs and enjoyed the peace and quiet for a few minutes.  But, in just a couple of minutes some grandpa and his teenage grandson came walking up.  It was about 7:45, and everyone knows the Meadow Trading Post doesn't open until 8:30.  But, these dummies still had to pull on the door and look in the windows.   Then grandpa pointed out that there were two rocking chairs open next to me. 

Bye.

I was going to go and sit on Bob's dock for a while.

But, there was some random woman sitting there!:

4%2014%2017%20427_zpsylatg2it.jpg

These Bob groupies are getting out of hand.

The food truck had not been moved last night:

4%2014%2017%20428_zpsv7qlo3uf.jpg

So, I had grandpa and his noisy grandson on the front porch, and the Bob groupie out back on the dock.

I had to leave and go looping.

The 2000 loop had pretty much emptied out on Sunday.  But not this site with these two small tents. They were there all weekend, but I never saw any signs of life on this site.  No cars.  No people.  No stuff outside of the tents.  This morning, they had a check-out note lying on the pavement.  I wonder what was going on here?  I suspect maybe a group staying off-site reserved the campsite so they could get magicbands and take advantage of the resort guest perks:

4%2014%2017%20429_zps0vli7fzs.jpg

There were a couple of places back by the group camping area where it looked like they were doing some work on some buried pipes.  I'm not sure why:

4%2014%2017%20430_zpsiscpwjwc.jpg

Those group campers with the classy bus driver were all still set up in the group camping area.  The bus was gone and so were they.  Very strange:

4%2014%2017%20431_zpshqk6nggd.jpg

The little pond back here was pretty clear considering the lack of rain.  And I caught a Security CM loafing in his car instead of patrolling the loops:

4%2014%2017%20432_zpsywhq9kkw.jpg

There was one more thing I wanted to get a photo of on the 2000 loop, so I looped around there again.  This is what I wanted a photo of:

4%2014%2017%20434_zpseeufgfyt.jpg

That's a full-size Airstream trailer parked on a tent site.  It was the same deal with this site as the site that had the two small tents- I never saw anyone on the site the whole weekend.  Is this some kind of a rental?

After this, I headed back to the site and cooked breakfast for the girls. That was nice, as usually there's not time for that on the last morning.

After breakfast, we did some more looping.

We saw a guy doing the actual cleaning of the canal between the 1400 and 500 loops:

4%2014%2017%20435_zpszpstdd1z.jpg

You may remember the photo from earlier in the report with two pop-ups on one campsite in the 200 loop.  Here's a situation that we saw on the 1900 loop:

4%2014%2017%20436_zps1ky4ggjh.jpg

There is an electric cord running in to that short bus.  So, I guess someone was sleeping in there:

4%2014%2017%20437_zps9mtcknnu.jpg

I am guessing that they towed that camper with the short bus.  But, that is two camping units on one site, right?

There has been discussion about the new bear-proof trash cans on other threads, but here's something that hasn't been discussed much- the capacity of these cans is much less than the old ones, so this is a common sight:

4%2014%2017%20438_zpsotcogjlq.jpg

There were two bear-proof trashcans near my site, and they were both pretty full every time I used them.  There were times when there were trash bags set next to them.  I am sure the bears appreciate the thoughtfulness of the Fort management.

Remember that wagon we saw in the Blacksmith's shop earlier?

Look:

4%2014%2017%20439_zpsnh4pn76t.jpg

4%2014%2017%20440_zpsyetmwvnu.jpg

4%2014%2017%20441_zps9eeeibds.jpg

They use that to train the ponies that pull Cinderella's coach.  Cool.

After that last loop, I had to take the golf cart back.

No problems with that.  Except that it took an hour.  And I went as fast as I could.

Then the girls packed up and left.

And I packed up too.

I took my time, and cleaned and organized the camper as I did, so it will be nice for the next trip, and  I could put it away immediately when I got home.

I hung around until late afternoon.  It was another beautiful day. 

But, I had to go.

And I did.

And that's all I have for you.

Thanks for reading.

Hopefully, it won't be too long before the next trip report.

TCD

If you were staying off site to get the resort perks, why would you bother setting up TWO tents to make the site look occupied?  Wouldn't one tent suffice, or even just some folding chairs or something?  In reality, do you need to have anything on your site as long as you've checked in and paid for it?  I'm truly curious....has Disney tried to stop this practice by requiring the site actually be used?  I didn't think they cared as long as the site was paid for.  

1 hour ago, mmfancipher said:

My original comment was serious.  Deer do a lot of damage here in Iowa.

Princess Bride is a MUST see!

Deer do a lot of damage in Florida too. Not only to vehicles, but they eat a lot of crops farmers are raising they even will eat an orange tree. I loose some every year and know some who have to fence off their trees to raise them. Once they get 4-5 years old the deer no longer brother them.

The Princess Bride is Jessica's favorite movie. I cannot even count the number of times we have watched it. Have your girls not seen the movie either? I think the next time you are all together as a family you should plan to watch it. I think Mrs TCD would enjoy it as well.

Sorry the grandpa and teenage grandson made you have to cut your rocking time short. On the positive side, he was spending some quality time with his grandfather. He was actually talking to him right? Didn't have his head down and eyes glued to his phone?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

Best Movie EVER, except I think Lego Batman knocked it down to #2 on my list.

Ever?  I guess I'll need to try and watch it.

I tried watching a Lego movie that was on regular TV.  I didn't get very far into that.

2 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

If you were staying off site to get the resort perks, why would you bother setting up TWO tents to make the site look occupied?  Wouldn't one tent suffice, or even just some folding chairs or something?  In reality, do you need to have anything on your site as long as you've checked in and paid for it?  I'm truly curious....has Disney tried to stop this practice by requiring the site actually be used?  I didn't think they cared as long as the site was paid for.  

You're right.  I don't know of any reason anyone needs to make the effort of pretending to stay on the site. Disney doesn't care. It occurred to me that these folks might have been connected with that strange group in the group camping area- because they were hardly ever around too.  But, that doesn't make sense either. 

My best guess is that they were off-site people who booked a campsite reservation so they would have on-site benefits, and they felt like they needed to actually occupy the site.

1 hour ago, BigTom said:

Deer do a lot of damage in Florida too. Not only to vehicles, but they eat a lot of crops farmers are raising they even will eat an orange tree. I loose some every year and know some who have to fence off their trees to raise them. Once they get 4-5 years old the deer no longer brother them.

I didn't know deer eat orange trees.  Sadly, we don't have many of either in my neck of the woods.

1 hour ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

The Princess Bride is Jessica's favorite movie. I cannot even count the number of times we have watched it. Have your girls not seen the movie either? I think the next time you are all together as a family you should plan to watch it. I think Mrs TCD would enjoy it as well.

Sorry the grandpa and teenage grandson made you have to cut your rocking time short. On the positive side, he was spending some quality time with his grandfather. He was actually talking to him right? Didn't have his head down and eyes glued to his phone?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OK, I will put the Princess Bride on my to do list.  But, it's going to be a while before I can get the whole family together long enough to watch a movie.

Good point about the grandson.  He was talking to gramps.  He was whining, but that's better than being on his phone.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

OK, I will put the Princess Bride on my to do list.  But, it's going to be a while before I can get the whole family together long enough to watch a movie.

TCD

I'd like to suggest that you watch it first with Mrs. TCD as a date night.   Get some popcorn and your favorite drink(s),  snuggle up on the couch and enjoy.  

The Princess Bride is on my Top 10 list as well, but you do have to be in the mood for that sort of humor to really enjoy it. The first time I saw it I didn't like it, the next time though I thought it was great.... go figure LOL    Now, if it pops up on cable, I sit down and watch it and laugh all over again  :lol:

Especially Andre the Giant, Billy Crystal and the epic Sword fight on top of the "Cliffs of Insanity"  :blink:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/keelyflaherty/inconceivable-facts-about-the-princess-bride-you-probably?utm_term=.ly10wK8JbQ#.vez1j5eLV0

33. Neither Cary Elwes or Mandy Patinkin had any sword-fighting experience before filming. Both trained rigorously, and every frame of Inigo and Westley’s sword fight on The Cliffs of Insanity is actually the two actors.

enhanced-15537-1403819334-17.jpg

25 minutes ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

The Princess Bride is on my Top 10 list as well, but you do have to be in the mood for that sort of humor to really enjoy it. The first time I saw it I didn't like it, the next time though I thought it was great.... go figure LOL    Now, if it pops up on cable, I sit down and watch it and laugh all over again  :lol:

Especially Andre the Giant, Billy Crystal and the epic Sword fight on top of the "Cliffs of Insanity"  :blink:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/keelyflaherty/inconceivable-facts-about-the-princess-bride-you-probably?utm_term=.ly10wK8JbQ#.vez1j5eLV0

33. Neither Cary Elwes or Mandy Patinkin had any sword-fighting experience before filming. Both trained rigorously, and every frame of Inigo and Westley’s sword fight on The Cliffs of Insanity is actually the two actors.

enhanced-15537-1403819334-17.jpg

It was made back in the days when a movie actually had a decent plot, acting, and didn't purely rely on CGI special effects.

I don't think it ever won any awards, but then again a lot of the non critic classics ever did.

20 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I tried watching a Lego movie that was on regular TV.  I didn't get very far into that.

The original Lego Movie is hysterical, but once again you have to be in the right frame of mind to laugh at the jokes (rapid fire and non-stop). If you aren't expecting the different levels of constant sarcasm it won't be as funny......

"Everything is Awesome!!"     :lol:

20 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You're right.  I don't know of any reason anyone needs to make the effort of pretending to stay on the site. Disney doesn't care. It occurred to me that these folks might have been connected with that strange group in the group camping area- because they were hardly ever around too.  But, that doesn't make sense either. 

My best guess is that they were off-site people who booked a campsite reservation so they would have on-site benefits, and they felt like they needed to actually occupy the site.

Most people who learn about using a "Phantom Campsite" know they are skirting the rules, don't want to get caught, and would probably feel that they should make it look like they are using the site.

I know if I was doing it, even with what I know from past experience with Disney,  I would still consider buying one or two Walmart tents for 20 bucks just so I could feel a little better about it.

It's probably only the repeat abusers or the really inside people (CM's, TA's, Readers of FF, etc) that would know for sure that Disney won't care if anyone's there or not.... <_<

1 hour ago, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

Great report as always. I would love to smell the Jasmine when in bloom. 

If you ever are there in April/May, you need to stop by that windmill and smell the jasmine.

Hopefully the wind won't be blowing the pony smell that way.

36 minutes ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

Most people who learn about using a "Phantom Campsite" know they are skirting the rules, don't want to get caught, and would probably feel that they should make it look like they are using the site.

I know if I was doing it, even with what I know from past experience with Disney,  I would still consider buying one or two Walmart tents for 20 bucks just so I could feel a little better about it.

It's probably only the repeat abusers or the really inside people (CM's, TA's, Readers of FF, etc) that would know for sure that Disney won't care if anyone's there or not.... <_<

Good points.

It's also possible that the guests on that site were literally using it only to sleep.  I've heard people say that they would do this to save money.  We once had a young couple who set up across from us who arrived late, slept in their car, and then were gone early in the morning. But, other than that, I've not seen it actually done.  This campsite had no signs of anyone using those tents- no cooler, no towels hanging out to dry, no luggage of any kind. It is possible that the guests on that site arrived really late at night, went to sleep, and then headed out for rope drop the next morning every day.  But, I think I would have seen some evidence of that.

TCD

Would those tents be some kind of an attempt to reserve site for someone else that is checking in? An attempt in making CM's think it was occupied.

I know our State park system is First Come First Serve and tents like these are very commonly placed on adjacent sites to "reserve" the site for their friends.

33 minutes ago, TN22.....Brady said:

Would those tents be some kind of an attempt to reserve site for someone else that is checking in? An attempt in making CM's think it was occupied.

I know our State park system is First Come First Serve and tents like these are very commonly placed on adjacent sites to "reserve" the site for their friends.

I never thought about that.  But, those two tents were there for the entire weekend, and there was the checkout envelope laying there on Monday morning.  Which is strange in and of itself, because I never get one of those anymore, and it doesn't seem like most folks do.

TCD

7 hours ago, Travisma said:

It was made back in the days when a movie actually had a decent plot, acting, and didn't purely rely on CGI special effects.

I don't think it ever won any awards, but then again a lot of the non critic classics ever did.

From the above website:  "43 Inconceivable Facts About “The Princess Bride” You Probably Never Knew"

36. The Princess Bride grossed only $30.8 million domestically, and didn’t become wildly popular until the VCR came out.

and my favorite:

4. One of the R.O.U.S. actors got into a fight with his wife and burned down the kennel they owned, so the film crew bailed him out of jail so he could film the Fire Swamp scene.

:lol:

All is right in the world. A spring TCD TR with inspiring pics of the vegetation.  The gardenia was fantastic.

I've never viewed that movie either. I'm more of an Airplane, caddyshack, animal house, or any of the 3 vacation type of guy.

11 hours ago, mmfancipher said:

Everything is Awesome! When you're part of a team!

:P

"Thanks" for the earworm.  Really.

Another big thumbs up for The Princess Bride.  Most quotable movie ever.

As evidenced here.

Oh, and thanks for the TR, TCD.  Great job as always.

10 hours ago, DramaMama .......... Janet said:

Another big thumbs up for The Princess Bride.  Most quotable movie ever.

"...Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha.........thump..."

:lol::lol::lol:

Inigo Montoya: You are wonderful.

Man in Black: Thank you; I've worked hard to become so.

Inigo Montoya: I admit it, you are better than I am.

Man in Black: Then why are you smiling?

Inigo Montoya: Because I know something you don't know.

Man in Black: And what is that?

Inigo Montoya: I am not left-handed.

[switches sword to his other hand, and begins to fight far more successfully]

Man in Black: You are amazing.

Inigo Montoya: I ought to be, after 20 years.

Man in Black: Oh, there's something I ought to tell you.

Inigo Montoya: Tell me.

Man in Black: I'm not left-handed either.

TCD, if this thread keeps up, you won't have to watch the movie!