Splash Mountain Closing for Long Refurb Aug-Nov

Wow - strange for Splash to close in the summer!

Splash Mountain at the Magic Kingdom is scheduled for a lengthy refurbishment later this summer.

The refurbishment is planned to begin on August 28 through to November 16, reopening to guests on November 17 2017.

Refurbishments of Splash Mountain have typically taken place beginning in January, so this late summer closure is unusual. The last major refurbishment took place in 2014.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/splash-mountain/news/19apr2017-splash-mountain-closing-for-near-three-month-refurbishment-later-this-year.htm

5 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Maybe they figure the crowds are going to be over at Pandora, and that Mine Train and Big Thunder will take up the slack.

The speculation on the board that is in Mo's link seems to be that there will be a big refurbishment coming on a major MK attraction in January, so they're going to get Splash done early.  Space Mountain seems to be the attraction most mentioned.  This speculation doesn't make a lot of sense to me, because if it were true, why couldn't they shut down Space Mountain in August-October, and still shut down Splash in January-February, which would make more sense?

TCD

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The speculation on the board that is in Mo's link seems to be that there will be a big refurbishment coming on a major MK attraction in January, so they're going to get Splash done early.  Space Mountain seems to be the attraction most mentioned.  This speculation doesn't make a lot of sense to me, because if it were true, why couldn't they shut down Space Mountain in August-October, and still shut down Splash in January-February, which would make more sense?

TCD

Would the SM refurbishment tie into something for a re-opening of it next Spring? I have not clue what, I'm just throwing that idea out there.

12 minutes ago, Seals said:

Would the SM refurbishment tie into something for a re-opening of it next Spring? I have not clue what, I'm just throwing that idea out there.

That's an interesting thought.  Disneyland had a Hyperspace Mountain overlay for their Season of the Force event.  Maybe they're going to do something Star Wars-ish to WDW's SM?

Of course, the cynic in me thinks that it could just be a labor/wage savings move.  They have had very long and very uneventful refurbishments of Pirates and Big Thunder at that time of the year in the recent past.  When the rides reopened, not much was new.  But, they saved a boatload of money not paying CM's to staff those rides for a few months. 

I can't help but notice that the beginning date of the Splash closure coincides with the first Halloween party- and they're having a record number of those this year.  They probably think less guests will notice the closure since the MK will be closing to regular guests early on a lot of days in that time frame, and party guests probably won't miss it.

TCD