My family and I will be traveling to fort wilderness June 11th and I would like to get some info on the preferred sites what we booked. We will be traveling as a group with my sisters and there kids and husbands so we will have a lot of kids between the two sites. Location to the pool area and comfort stations are important to us but also don't want to be to far from transportation.

1 will we have a problem with 38' fifth wheel getting in the preferred sites?

2 since we will be traveling with other family members and another camper is it possible to get camps that share some common area (buddy site)?

3 can we drive our vehicle to the parks? or is that more difficult?

4 how hard is it to upgrade to a premium site and is it worth it?

thanks in advance  

Your best bet would be to book full hook-ups, 1600-1700, much closer to the pool than preferred. As to getting sites together have your reservations linked and also fax in a loop/site request 5 days before arrival with both reservation numbers on it.

Driving to the parks is not an issue since you get free parking. However going to the MK just take the boat from the Marina.

I can't answer your questions about ease of getting into the various preferred sites with your RV but others will be able to chime in.

Transportation is not a problem. The internal bus service has plenty of stops that are close by loop entrances. There is also a good network of sidewalks.

If they aren't already, I would tie your reservations together. This will ensure Disney knows you are traveling together. About a week before you go use this draft form to FAX  request a particular loop with your sites next to or as close as you can get to each other. The FAX number is in the update. Scroll past the links at the top of the page. You can also put this info in the online check-in. Just keep in mind it is a best effort thing and not guaranteed.

You can drive to the parks but I would highly recommend taking the boat to the Magic Kingdom. We also like to take the boats to the Contemporary and then use the Monorail to get to Epcot. Taking the Monorail might be a bit harder with a large crew but still doable. You can catch  buses to Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom but driving is usually the most efficient. All parking is free for resort guests. Just use your Magic Band.

On the upgrade talk to Jason from mousecounselors or your travel agent if you used one. Jason can answer your questions and you get great service at no additional cost. We stay in premium sites and I will say they are quite large and easy for us to get into. If you upgrade the 1200/1300/1400 loops are all close to to the Meadows Trading Post which is where the big pool is. They are also close to the campfire singalong with 1400 being the closest. Just be sure to say you don't want a site near the basketball courts in 1400.

Here is a link to the campsite app. Again scroll down to find info.

From this link you can get to more accommodation and loop info.

What they said. :)

I'll just add that if you do end up in Preferred, ease of backing in depends largely on which site and driver's skill level.  There are plenty of long sites in the preferred loops but the angles to the road and position of trees, poles, etc. can make it tricky.  I've seen people back big rigs in with no problem at, and some who've given up and gone back up front to request a different site. We usually stay in 300 (Preferred). We've got a regular TT not a 5th wheel, but we're a little over 50' end to end and, with a little patience, we've gotten into a bunch of sites in that loop.

Good luck, enjoy your trip and WELCOME to Fort Fiends! 

Thanks for all the information! are there any good buddy sites in the preferred loops? My sister and brother-inlaw will be camping there as well so it would be great to get sites that shared some common area.

How far is it from the preferred sites to the pool? walking distance? 

36 minutes ago, rccurlee said:

Thanks for all the information! are there any good buddy sites in the preferred loops? My sister and brother-inlaw will be camping there as well so it would be great to get sites that shared some common area.

How far is it from the preferred sites to the pool? walking distance? 

The Fort doesn't really have buddy sites like you might be familiar with at other campgrounds.  We had a discussion here on that topic a while back.  This was discussing premium sites:

That said, there are some sites on the preferred loops that back up to or are close to each other, and might work as buddy sites:

107 backs up to 230/232

104 backs up to 121

103 backs up to 126

207 backs up to 235

216 and 221 are good with each other

208 and 235 are good with each other

It's quite a hike from the preferred sites to the pool.

For example, it's 2/3 of a mile from mid-way around the 300 loop to the pool, and that's with taking the short cut through the 1400 loop.  I've seen people take the bus from the preferred sites to the pool:

300%20to%20pool_zpshjkv782r.jpg

TCD

Thanks, you guys are awesome!

I contacted Jason but unfortunately we have made our reservations awhile back so I don't think we are able to transfer or reservations over so he could help. I am going to call and verify this and when I do I will ask to be upgraded to a premium site. I have shared the information gathered from you guys with the rest of my group and they are all wanting to be closer to the pool area.

So now i will be looking at what sites are best suited for us in the premium section assuming we will be able to upgrade. Is there a form that is to be faxed to make request?  

Thanks TCD for sharing my post. We have been to Disney a few times now with friends and while we haven't ever been assigned an actual "buddy" site, as long as Disney gets you two side-by-side, you should be fine. There isn't a shared area at any of them.

We like the 800 loop and the sites around 860. They're fairly spacious and you get a decent amount of space.

We also did sites in the 1300s and had a super deep site there. It was nice when we had a few friends (3 families, 12 people) over to hang out for an evening. We took our truck up to the overflow parking and really had a nice space.