Weekend trip to 2 Florida State Parks UPDATED 4/27

Just now, h2odivers...Ray said:

We have two electric griddles, $20 at Walmart. DD(12) and I make pancakes almost every Saturday and have done so since she could pick up a spatula. 

At the lake we some times make pancakes for 20+ People. 

Have you seen the Blackstone propane griddles?

They have table top ones for $75 to $100.

They have huge stand alone ones that could probable fit 30+ pancakes on it at a time.

1 minute ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That cabin looks very nice for the price.  Good job snagging it for one night.

It's very cool that you got to see fireflies.  I have never seen one in Florida!

TCD

The cabin was great.  You can stay there 3 nights for less than 1 night at the Fort Cabins (yeah I know, it's not Disney).

I wish we were able to stay longer and enjoy the porch, fire ring, etc.

6 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That cabin looks very nice for the price.  Good job snagging it for one night.

It's very cool that you got to see fireflies.  I have never seen one in Florida!

TCD

http://www.floridarambler.com/central-florida-getaways/firefly-season-blue-spring-florida/

Someone is a lot better photographer than I am!!

Image result for blue springs firefly tour

• 4 weeks later...

Both parks are great and have lines waiting to get in for swimming since the water is a cool 72 degrees year round. The pancakes are great even if you have to cook them yourself. They are stone ground so not what you would get at a Dennys:rolleyes:

There's also a cook your own (or least there used to be) at Hillsborough River State Park in Thonotosassa. They only have 2 grills but we cooked our own there as well.

Another great park in the same area near Apopka is an Orange county park called Kelly Park. It has Rock Springs where you can tube a 20 minute run and has a large swimming area. RV/tent camping available too. Also lines out the door but never for the campers (they have a separate entrance). Wekiva Springs State Park is next door with another set of springs as well.

44 minutes ago, we3peas said:

Both parks are great and have lines waiting to get in for swimming since the water is a cool 72 degrees year round. The pancakes are great even if you have to cook them yourself. They are stone ground so not what you would get at a Dennys:rolleyes:

There's also a cook your own (or least there used to be) at Hillsborough River State Park in Thonotosassa. They only have 2 grills but we cooked our own there as well.

Another great park in the same area near Apopka is an Orange county park called Kelly Park. It has Rock Springs where you can tube a 20 minute run and has a large swimming area. RV/tent camping available too. Also lines out the door but never for the campers (they have a separate entrance). Wekiva Springs State Park is next door with another set of springs as well.

We've tubed in Kelly/Rock Springs a couple of times, but not camped. Nice place, water can be a shocker when you first get in. We've had otters swim past us while floating down the run.

Weekends you need to be there really early, and even weekdays during the summer you'd better not be late.

Camping there looks ok, not a lot going on, but trying to find out availability is hard.  We've tried calling the listed number and never got an answer.

On 5/23/2017 at 7:18 AM, we3peas said:

Another great park in the same area near Apopka is an Orange county park called Kelly Park. It has Rock Springs where you can tube a 20 minute run and has a large swimming area. RV/tent camping available too.

I just learned of this place on Facebook. Hard time for me is that I only do Florida in the cold months (Dec-Mar), so couple a potentially cool day with cold water and I'm not sure it makes sense for us to go. :(

19 minutes ago, ependydad...Doug said:

I just learned of this place on Facebook. Hard time for me is that I only do Florida in the cold months (Dec-Mar), so couple a potentially cool day with cold water and I'm not sure it makes sense for us to go. :(

The neat thing about Florida springs is that the water temperature stays pretty constant- so on cold days, the water can feel "warm."  I remember taking my kids tubing in the Rainbow River one year on New Year's Eve.  Yes, we were cold, but we all survived, and it was fun. 

There are plenty of days between December and March when it will be in the 70's and above- you could tube on any of those days and enjoy it.

TCD

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The neat thing about Florida springs is that the water temperature stays pretty constant- so on cold days, the water can feel "warm."  I remember taking my kids tubing in the Rainbow River one year on New Year's Eve.  Yes, we were cold, but we all survived, and it was fun. 

There are plenty of days between December and March when it will be in the 70's and above- you could tube on any of those days and enjoy it.

TCD

Thanks for the info. Maybe we'll stay in the park or nearby and test our luck.

2 hours ago, ependydad...Doug said:

Thanks for the info. Maybe we'll stay in the park or nearby and test our luck.

I went to swim with the Manatees at Crystal Springs one year when there was ice on the boat, the water felt warm but it was real hard to get out of it, the air was in the 30s when we got out. You have to be careful, even though the water feels warm, it still is cold enough to chill you.

16 hours ago, BigTom said:

I went to swim with the Manatees at Crystal Springs one year when there was ice on the boat, the water felt warm but it was real hard to get out of it, the air was in the 30s when we got out. You have to be careful, even though the water feels warm, it still is cold enough to chill you.

Did you have a wetsuit?  You're right about the risk of hypothermia from the water. 

TCD