Weekend trip to 2 Florida State Parks UPDATED 4/27

About a month ago we visited Deleon Springs State Park..... https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/De-Leon-Springs to see the sites and have pancakes at the Old Spanish Sugar Mill Resturant http://www.planetdeland.com/sugarmill/index.htm.  

Afterwards we went down the road a ways to Blue Springs State Park https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Blue-Spring where we had rented a cabin so we could see fireflies/lightning bugs.

Both of the parks were clean and nice and weren't too crowded.  In fact the Sunday morning we left Blue Springs the gates were already closed to prevent over crowding.

Here are some shots of Deleon Springs.  There used to be a hotel there and it has a visitor center with it;s very interesting history.

Diving class

mihLmmb.jpg

Outflow from the spring to the river

7vvO96Rl.jpg

Looking up river

HIcgDuxl.jpg

Manatee

H23QZwUl.jpg

1vQEOnDl.jpg

Waiting for breakfast

L9W6yzPl.jpg

dHbniJ1l.jpg

Menu

3FZ5IAIl.jpg

Waiting to eat.  You get pitchers of batter and you make your own pancakes

AcRjVA0l.jpg

JQcNeIql.jpg

kTlQ8kKl.jpg

After we ate we headed down to Blue Springs.

More trip report to follow.

12 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I've always wanted to visit De Leon Springs SP for the pancakes.  Do you make a reservation for that, or just show up?

TCD

You can only make reservations for groups of 10 or more.

We got stuck in some heavy traffic and had to take a bunch of detours down below Orlando, so we got there about 10:30 or so.  At that time it was a 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hour wait. But the park itself was nice, so it wasn't too bad of a wait.

And, it was $6 a car entrance fee to the park.  Park opens at 8 and the restaurant opens at 9.

16 minutes ago, Travisma said:

You can only make reservations for groups of 10 or more.

We got stuck in some heavy traffic and had to take a bunch of detours down below Orlando, so we got there about 10:30 or so.  At that time it was a 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hour wait. But the park itself was nice, so it wasn't too bad of a wait.

And, it was $6 a car entrance fee to the park.  Park opens at 8 and the restaurant opens at 9.

This is similar to other reports I've heard about getting there for the pancakes.  That's why I never went- an hour and a half wait?  For pancakes?  I'm sure they're good, but they can't be that good.

TCD

3 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

This is similar to other reports I've heard about getting there for the pancakes.  That's why I never went- an hour and a half wait?  For pancakes?  I'm sure they're good, but they can't be that good.

TCD

You have to look at it as an overall experience, you know, just like Disney Magic ! :lol:

I don't know if I would drive that far just for pancakes, but since we were scheduled to camp at Blue Springs we just left Tampa earlier and added it to our plans.

My wife and I were just having a conversation the other day about those "griddle your own" pancake places.  We were passing one in Nashville that always has a line out the door.  I said if I want to cook my own pancakes I will do it at home.  Reminds me of those grill your own meat places that were all the rage several years back.  I bet the kids would get a kick out of making their own pancakes, but I'd rather be served I think.  

1 minute ago, DaveInTN said:

My wife and I were just having a conversation the other day about those "griddle your own" pancake places.  We were passing one in Nashville that always has a line out the door.  I said if I want to cook my own pancakes I will do it at home.  Reminds me of those grill your own meat places that were all the rage several years back.  I bet the kids would get a kick out of making their own pancakes, but I'd rather be served I think.  

The kids really enjoyed it, and for that reason alone it was worth the trip and the wait.

The $4.95 for all you can eat pancakes wasn't a bad price even if you cooked them yourself, but they get you on the sides. $1.99 for 2 strips of bacon.

Tampa still has a couple of the fondue restaurants called The Melting Pot.  They are high priced, and always busy.

22 minutes ago, Travisma said:

The kids really enjoyed it, and for that reason alone it was worth the trip and the wait.

The $4.95 for all you can eat pancakes wasn't a bad price even if you cooked them yourself, but they get you on the sides. $1.99 for 2 strips of bacon.

Tampa still has a couple of the fondue restaurants called The Melting Pot.  They are high priced, and always busy.

Yeah, I went to the Melting Pot once in Nashville, many years ago before I even moved here.  I had the same thought about how I'd rather be served.  Maybe I'm just lazy.  LOL>  

5 hours ago, Travisma said:

Some people probably say the same thing about WDW.

Well you've got me there.

5 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Reminds me of those grill your own meat places that were all the rage several years back.

I don't recall any grill your own meat places around here. If I wanted to go out for grilled meat I figure you might as well make it a meat orgy and go to a churrascaria (Brazilian steakhouse). The red side, green side card can get a little confusing towards the end of the meal but what the heck.

5 hours ago, Travisma said:

We have a couple of Melting Pots in the area. We prefer a local fondue restaurant over the chain for those very rare occasions we go out for fondue. The prices are about the same as the chain and is has a lot more atmosphere being in an old tobacco factory.

2 hours ago, keith_h said:

I don't recall any grill your own meat places around here. If I wanted to go out for grilled meat I figure you might as well make it a meat orgy and go to a churrascaria (Brazilian steakhouse). The red side, green side card can get a little confusing towards the end of the meal but what the heck.

The last time I ate at one of those places in Houston (Fogo de Chao), I got the meat sweats so bad that night the sheets in my hotel bed were soaked.  I learned that the red side has its merits.  I also very rarely eat meat anymore, so no more meat sweats.  LOL.  

Different perspectives -- I think a griddle your own pancake place is cool for a vacationy type breakfast experience. I've never seen one before.  The advantage would be the pancakes are hot off the griddle instead of warm, cool or cold depending on how crowded the breakfast place is and how overworked the waiter/waitress is. And even at home by the time I, the griddler, get to eat my pancakes they are also usually not hot. Of course I never thought to set the griddle in the middle of the table.

59 minutes ago, Seals said:

Different perspectives -- I think a griddle your own pancake place is cool for a vacationy type breakfast experience. I've never seen one before.  The advantage would be the pancakes are hot off the griddle instead of warm, cool or cold depending on how crowded the breakfast place is and how overworked the waiter/waitress is. And even at home by the time I, the griddler, get to eat my pancakes they are also usually not hot. Of course I never thought to set the griddle in the middle of the table.

We included it in our trip to the cabin at Blue Springs.  I wouldn't go there that often even if I lived nearby.  But if we had out of towners visiting its a great place to go.

We were going to take a day trip there when my sister in law was visiting, but she was here the same time Daytona Bike Week was going on, and we had seen that it was a big destination trip for the bikers, and would've been extra crowded.

So after stuffing ourselves we headed south to Blue Springs State Park.  It wasn't that far mileage wise, but it was about a 20 minute drive thru some low speed zones.

We rented a cabin, the parks go thru ReserveAmerica. There are only 6 cabins at the park, and on weekends they require a 2 night stay, but because this cabin was already rented Friday and Sunday, we were able to get in for 1 night on Saturday, but it took a phone call to get it booked. With taxes it came to about $113.

Grill area with table and fire ring

jRNiYCPl.jpg

We're here!

bxfPHQBl.jpg

Porch

MRvT732l.jpg

Another picnic table!

4Llk250l.jpg

Kitchen

DC1zQvel.jpg

The only thing lacking was some sort of cookie sheet/baking pan.

Living Room with a pullout sleeper

k8iYtBVl.jpg

Living room has a fireplace, and it and the bedrooms also had ceiling fans.  

p9VFWfAl.jpg

Bedroom 1

tZDlfrTl.jpg

Bedroom 2 where the grandkids slept

r8NXHlml.jpg

Water run below the springs

MCOjawsl.jpg

The open area at the end is the St John's River

6C2FFr4l.jpg

The majority of the fish were facing upstream against the water flow from the spring

1qjP5Tol.jpg

3vI4v5Nl.jpg

Diver surfacing at the spring itself

THztgncl.jpg

Obligatory "artsy" shots

yebX41kl.jpg

tGw4ktKl.jpg

The grandkids met a family across the street and ended up going to their campfire, so we didn't have to start one. As soon as it got dark the fireflies came out.

Now you have to use a little imagination he to appreciate what we were seeing.  No matter how you cut it, the human eye is a lot more sensitive than a camera lens.

That light colored dot is a firefly

eychFdil.jpg

Dots are fireflies

pwKFEX6l.jpg

Spooky House at night

QFNwFNOl.jpg

All in all it was a great trip.  

They do have campsites available.  

There is a canoe/kayak rental place and they allow you to launch your own.  

There is a river tour on a boat, and Segway tours.

There is a gift shop and a snack bar.

What a great place!  I like the park and the porch and outside of the cabin, but I wish they would have left the inside looking "cabiney" for lack of a better word (rustic?). Maybe it's just me but if I rent a cabin in the woods I don't want the inside to look like a generic condo.... 

11 hours ago, Seals said:

That is cool, I've never seen one either. I am looking forward to going there sometime.  And your right about the griddler usually getting lukewarm pancakes  :lol:

I'm in. And almost caught up.  Deleon springs is beautiful.   I would love to dive there and swim with the manatees  

I've never heard of a cook your own pancake place sounds like fun.  And only $4.95 and an 18%, (.89 cent ) tip. Big deal.   I tip more than .89 cents To the person who brings me coffee. Lol. 

I cant wait to read about blue springs.  

Btw. Great pix and what a beautiful family you have. 

22 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Have the kids make and serve you the pancakes. It's a win win for you. Lol 

6 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Have the kids make and serve you the pancakes. It's a win win for you. Lol 

If we did that, it would take longer than the 1 1/2 hour wait to clean up the kitchen!!  B)

My daughter that went with us suggested we buy an electric griddle to put in the middle of the table and do the same thing as the restaurant.

12 minutes ago, Travisma said:

If we did that, it would take longer than the 1 1/2 hour wait to clean up the kitchen!!  B)

My daughter that went with us suggested we buy an electric griddle to put in the middle of the table and do the same thing as the restaurant.

We have two electric griddles, $20 at Walmart. DD(12) and I make pancakes almost every Saturday and have done so since she could pick up a spatula. 

At the lake we some times make pancakes for 20+ People. 

#lifelongmemories.