I'm in the 500 loop and noticed the water pressure went down significantly yesterday. I checked my gear last night and this morning to make sure it wasn't on my end. After I placed a concerning  phone call this morning, I got a visit this evening and they told me a water line break/leak happened at the fire hydrant near site 521.  Water pressure is getting worse all over the loop tonight.  They say that permits have been requested to get a team in tomorrow to dig the road to fix it. Just a heads up if you are checking in tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That sounds like a fake excuse from them.  Since when do they pull permits for anything they do at the Fort (except for major construction projects like the pool or a new roof on a building)?

TCD

I was thinking the same thing.  Why would you need to pull a permit to repair existing plumbing?  The only thing I can think of is due to the fact it is related to a fire hydrant.

Just got an update and they said they can't dig 4 feet down to repair it until the permit comes through. At this point in the day, they said they won't start until tomorrow even if the permit comes through now. So if you are coming in tomorrow, please plan accordingly for another loop as no one else is coming in here. They offered to move me but with an 8 night stay, we have a ton of stuff out both inside and outside so no thanks. They did just now comp me for one night. I didn't ask, they did it on their own. We'll see what happens tomorrow. For now, the water just keeps spewing out from behind the hydrant. 

4 hours ago, Duane said:

Fill up your water tank in case it goes out completely, if it's not too late...  Better to be safe than sorry.

Filling up my tank is the first thing i do after getting setup.  I've been to far to many campgrounds that had bad plumbing and was forced to use our onboard water due to lack of pressure, or lack of water. 

Pressure is gone and still no permit. I think the problem is bigger than expected and the loop may get shut down from the phone call I just had. I have a full tank for now. But not the crap you want to deal with when you drive 21 hours to enjoy the fort. 

The realty SMB!

what the fort is taking so long to get a permit?

we had a sewer line back up and I callled to get utilities located and they asked if it was an emergency and I said yes. They located the lines and had a dig permit in less than 2 hours.  

Something is fishy.

Water is back up and running at full pressure. Originally they said they would be bringing in backhoes and other large equipment once the permit went through. Instead, while they were waiting for the permit to clear, they had a few guys out there around midnight digging with shovels and had it done in a few hours. Something is fishy about their story. I saw exposed water line this morning right behind the hydrant. Now it's all covered back up. However I still don't see anyone new coming in the loop. Not sure if they're still not letting people in or if there just isn't anyone asking for this loop. I'm going to call the 'direct number' to Chris the manager and see what I can find out. 

They are letting people back in the 500 loop now. Apparently they used some sort of slip joint to repair the water line. They said they may have to look at it and put it in the books a few months from now to do a more permanent repair. For now, they consider it good to go.  Slip joint and bypassing the hydrant shutoff valve, seems like a shady repair and just swept under the rug to me. 

I used to do fire hydrant repairs around here. Our local codes state that all hydrants must have a shut off. If the hydrant is damaged there is no way to shut off the geyser caused by cracking the shoe of the hydrant. I doubt florida and ohio hydrants are any different in design.