I know, I know, driving through Atlanta has been covered several times, but with the latest twist (collapsed bridge on one of the interstates) I thought I would ask again.  We are headed to the Fort in a couple of weeks from KY and will be going through ATL.  The plan now is to leave in the evening on Friday and drive though Atlanta, then resting.  The plan would but us through ATL between midnight and 0400 AM depending on when we are able to leave.  I'm sure that traffic will be easier at that time, with the trade off being the time of day.  Has anyone been through ATL during the day in the last month or so?  Is it really as bad as I'm imagining, or could you really tell the difference?  

Driving through, at the times you've mentioned, you should be fine.  Check 511 for overnight construction:  http://www.511ga.org/#zoom=3&lat=3990785.92806&lon=-9392690.23602&a_con_ctl&u_con_ctl&msg_ctl&h_inc_ctl&l_inc_ctl&vsp_ctl&cam_ctl&g_inf_ctl&spec_ctl

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the link, that should come in useful.  I figured the traffic would be good between 12-04, but then I have to be on the road between midnight and 0400.  The original plan would have put us in ATL around 1100-0100 on a Saturday.  That seems like a roll of the dice.  Either way, if getting stuck in ATL for a little while is the worst part of the trip, I'll be happy.  

8 hours ago, rtguy007 said:

When we cruised through ATL last thursday night there was next to no traffic around 8:15pm. We made it through in record time and didnt tap the brakes once. I am hoping for the same thing on our return trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yay!  Love it when that happens :) 

Don't know if this will help you or not...

Atlanta's I-85 Set To Reopen By Monday 5/15, After Extensive Repairs

Six weeks after a bridge collapse shut down a crucial piece of the interstate system in Atlanta, Georgia officials say they'll be ready to reopen Interstate 85 by May 15 — more than five weeks ahead of schedule. The road normally carries nearly 250,000 vehicles a day.

Both northbound and southbound lanes of the I-85 bridge over Piedmont Road will be opened to traffic for Monday morning's rush hour, Gov. Nathan Deal said, in a joint announcement with state transportation officials Wednesday morning.

4 hours ago, Travisma said:

— more than five weeks ahead of schedule. The road normally carries nearly 250,000 vehicles a day.

Two things I've wondered:

1- how safe is the construction when it's done this quickly and (if it is safe)

2- why the heck does it take them so long, to do every other piece of road construction (not just Atlanta)

One of the most annoying phrases I heard waaaay back when I was a subcontractor - "Slow down, you don't want to work us all out of a job now do you?". Now I am told this mentality is being overcome by offering "performance bonuses" for each day they finish ahead of schedule. My guess is the 5 weeks ahead of schedule is translating into a heftier paycheck for the contractor.

I also would guess that the state placed inspectors on site or readily available, so that there weren't any delays waiting on inspections at various phases of the construction.  Just a guess....I have no idea how these things work.  But I know in most types of construction, delays are often the result of waiting for inspectors to sign off.  

Also, much can be done when there is the political will to do so.  By any chance is GA's governor up for re-election in the next year or 2?  Wasn't he dinged for the state's handling of a snow storm a couple of years ago?  I don't think he would want another traffic scandal on his resume.  I find it interesting that he personally made this announcement.  How many times do governors make announcements regarding road projects?

19 minutes ago, TN22.....Brady said:

One of the most annoying phrases I heard waaaay back when I was a subcontractor - "Slow down, you don't want to work us all out of a job now do you?". Now I am told this mentality is being overcome by offering "performance bonuses" for each day they finish ahead of schedule. My guess is the 5 weeks ahead of schedule is translating into a heftier paycheck for the contractor.

Over 20 years ago (can't believe I just said that), I spent a few years working at an oil refinery.  So much time was spent, standing around due to OSHA requirements (so many people had to watch this many people...etc, etc).  Now, when I drive by a construction site on a road, I count... there are ALWAYS at least one (with a small crew) and sometimes several (with a large crew), just standing around.  I get being safe.  Yes, please be safe.  But that many, just standing there?  Mercy.  Part of, no doubt, is what you just said.  Tom and I always joke that if you want a secure job, work for the DOT... they are always doing road construction.

19 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I also would guess that the state placed inspectors on site or readily available, so that there weren't any delays waiting on inspections at various phases of the construction.  Just a guess....I have no idea how these things work.  But I know in most types of construction, delays are often the result of waiting for inspectors to sign off.  

Also, much can be done when there is the political will to do so.  By any chance is GA's governor up for re-election in the next year or 2?  Wasn't he dinged for the state's handling of a snow storm a couple of years ago?  I don't think he would want another traffic scandal on his resume.  I find it interesting that he personally made this announcement.  How many times do governors make announcements regarding road projects?

Probably so.  I believe he's up in 2018.

4 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Over 20 years ago (can't believe I just said that), I spent a few years working at an oil refinery.  So much time was spent, standing around due to OSHA requirements (so many people had to watch this many people...etc, etc).  Now, when I drive by a construction site on a road, I count... there are ALWAYS at least one (with a small crew) and sometimes several (with a large crew), just standing around.  I get being safe.  Yes, please be safe.  But that many, just standing there?  Mercy.  Part of, no doubt, is what you just said.  Tom and I always joke that if you want a secure job, work for the DOT... they are always doing road construction.

Probably so.  I believe he's up in 2018.

And if there is a body of water at the site they have to have someone in a boat floating around anytime someone is working.