When school is out we are heading down to the Fort for a week. We won't have WDW park tickets, though we are planning to do a few days at Universal. (We figure we ought to check it out at least once.)  ;-)

We would like to do either Winterland/Summerland or Fantasia mini golf AND either  Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach.      For those who have done any of these please tell me what you liked and didn't like about each.  

As for the water parks, we have 2 adults (one swimmer, one not - me) and two kids (one decent swimmer, one just learning).   Do they have life vests for kids?  What is the depth of pools?   

Bring on the fiendish opinions!

We ended up buying water park annual passes so we could do both, and went to each park a couple times that week. It was around $125 I think or about the cost of 2 daily passes.

My favorite water park ride was the family raft ride at BB. But I preferred TL better overall. You can't go wrong with either.

Sent from my handheld doohickie

I vote to skip the mini golf and go to both waterparks instead.

If you can only go to one, I'd go to Typhoon Lagoon.  I agree with DIT that the family raft ride at Blizzard Beach is great, but there's a new family raft ride at Typhoon Lagoon.  And the Crushin' Gusher coaster at Typhoon Lagoon is a great ride. 

The Typhoon Lagoon wave pool is way more fun that Blizzard Beach's. 

They do provide life jackets for kids at both waterparks.

For most of the slides at both parks, water depth is not an issue- you dump out in knee to ankle deep water.

TCD

3 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

We ended up buying water park annual passes so we could do both, and went to each park a couple times that week. It was around $125 I think or about the cost of 2 daily passes.

We have been looking at AAA discounts and with a couple more Fort trips planned within the calendar year this is looking like a good option.  

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

They do provide life jackets for kids at both waterparks.

For most of the slides at both parks, water depth is not an issue- you dump out in knee to ankle deep water.

TCD

Good info.  That's what I needed to know.    

Keep it coming!

Can I suggest maybe headed to Aquatica (Sea World's water park)? My family all liked it infinitely more than either TL or BB.

I agree. My family likes Aquatica much better. Will Universal's new water park be open at the time of your trip? Maybe you can get a discount by wrapping it in with your Universal tickets.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, ependydad...Doug said:

Can I suggest maybe headed to Aquatica (Sea World's water park)? My family all liked it infinitely more than either TL or BB.

Is it themed like Disney water parks?

On 5/15/2017 at 7:12 PM, martindi said:

I agree. My family likes Aquatica much better. Will Universal's new water park be open at the time of your trip? Maybe you can get a discount by wrapping it in with your Universal tickets.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Aquatica is a great park.  They do not allow outside food in, they may allow water.  They have a real nice kiddie area.  

Volcano Bay is supposed to be open before Memorial Day, but they had a TV news article yesterday and it looks like they have a long way to go before it can open, but they say it'll be ready.

28 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Volcano Bay is supposed to be open before Memorial Day, but they had a TV news article yesterday and it looks like they have a long way to go before it can open, but they say it'll be ready.

My daughters know some Uni Team Members, and have heard through the grapevine that Volcano Bay is going to be in rough shape when it opens, but they still plan to open it Memorial Day weekend.  Oops.

TCD

2 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I heard a PR release on the radio today talking about how they will have these wristbands you can use so there will be no lines.  Sounds too good to be true.

TCD

That I don't buy.  Simple math dictates that when the park is full of people, they have to go somewhere.  If they aren't in line, where are they?

1 hour ago, slices said:

Was looking at the water park season passes, quite a saving for FL residents with the after 2pm pass.  Is it necessary to go for the full day to make the most of them or will the after 2 pm pass do?

The after 2 works as long as the lighting from summer storms doesn't close it down.

13 hours ago, slices said:

Was looking at the water park season passes, quite a saving for FL residents with the after 2pm pass.  Is it necessary to go for the full day to make the most of them or will the after 2 pm pass do?

11 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

The after 2 works as long as the lighting from summer storms doesn't close it down.

We had the after 2 passes for a couple of years.  I loved them.

They actually were best after a summer storm. Those typically are over by late afternoon, and if the storm was a big one, the water parks clears out.  We would often show up just an hour or so before closing, park in the front row (because the early birds typically are gone by then), and basically have the place to ourselves and ride all the big slides with no waits- it was awesome!

Also, let me give you a pro tip about the after 2 pm passes.  You can upgrade a one day water park ticket to an after 2 pm pass on the day that you use it. If you want to buy the after 2 pass, chose a park to go to for rope drop and enjoy it all day.  Then upgrade to the after 2 pass on the way out for just a few bucks more than the one day pass.  If you want, hop to the other water park in the afternoon and use your new after 2 pm pass there.  It's a great way to kick off the year that you'll have the after 2 passes.

TCD

Since we aren't FL residents (sadly) it wouldn't work for us.  I do think getting the water parks annual pass will work, though.  We have more trips planned, would like the chance to do both parks, and would like to be comfortable with only doing a half day at a time in the water parks without feeling like we were wasting our one full day ticket.  I am sure Aquatica will be great, but I have Disney experiences that need to be checked off "the list".

Speaking of, any more mini golf recommendations?

DramaMama and I did finally get the season tickets for the Disney waterparks.  Looking forward to trying both out!

We went ahead and turned the Universal tickets into the basic annual passes too.  It literally cost $1 over the 3-day rate with the AAA discount.  Not sure how much we will use them this year, but it seemed silly not to upgrade -- especially since none of our trips are during the blackout dates on the cheaper passes.