Thoughts from the 2100 Loop

Well, I'm starting this on day 5 of 7; bad Tim....

As is our normal trip, we drove down the day before our reservation and stayed at Volusia County Lake Monroe Park  $16.50 for water & electric site with a clean bath house  just east of Orlando on I-4  wi h normal traffic figure an hour to the Fort.  

I arrived about 9:30 towing the trailer and checked in immediately.  We had already been assigned a site in 1600 (don't like it) which was not ready a,,but he said we could have one now in 2100.  For,this trip we brought the Aliner which is about 18 feet, plus the F-250  I backed into the assigned site and backing all the way up still had  the truck front in the street.  We worked that out with a site change and all was good.  The wife showed up a little later and her magic band actually opened the back gate, a first for us.  She drove to the site, we unloaded the golf cart and I followed her to the overflow.  They had about a third of it blocked off for black topping, so spaces were at a premium.

The 2100 loop is nice, but we still prefer the 1900 loop.  

With several trips around the loops, only one other FF sign was seen.

Friday the placed totally filled up, cleared out Monday morning.

1700 loop has been cleared of all campers, but no machinery around so I guess it will just be tree trimming.  The 1600 loop seems totally devoid of vegetation between sites.  It just seems barren to us.

I'm not seeing any enforcement of the one car rule, some sites have 3.

It is very different not having a dog with us.  Walks in the morning and evening were part of our routine tied in with a few dog park,visits. We lost our Niko a few weeks ago to cancer and we are still getting over the shock.  We have our eyes on another German Shepherd that is currently in a rescue.  We did bring our oldest cat (16) and I'm glad we did.  He is having one of his vestibular attacks so we are having to baby him.  

We had friends from Ft Lauderdale visit for the weekend.  They stayed at Port Orleans and we hit the parks hard for 3 days. I think the rest of the trip will be relaxing. We have already made use of the pool in the cabin loops a few times and have spent quite a bit of time looping. 

Today was out first visit to Disney Springs.  From Leggo back through the old Marketplace is familiar, but different. What I still call Pleasure Island is a foreign land.

1 hour ago, tim5055 said:

It is very different not having a dog with us.  Walks in the morning and evening were part of our routine tied in with a few dog park,visits.

It's been nearly a year since we lost our sweet Kassie.  Were at the fort in September without her, and it was difficult.  We still really miss her.  I feel your pain.  

15 minutes ago, Dalspot ... Karen said:

We have a cat who absolutely loves camping.  

We actually rescued this cat in a campground. He was a tiny kitten and walked up to us by the campfire the first night in the campground. We talked to the ranger (Maryland State Park) who said he just appeared a couple of weeks before. They planned on calling animal control to pick him up. My guess was he was the runt of the litter, and he had obvious respiratory issues, (including the inability to meow) and was dumped in the park.  He had learned that by going from campfire to campfire he could beg a meal. 

We we took him home, and the rest is history. He still loves campfires.  When we have one at home he runs out and curls up next to the fire and goes to sleep.

So sorry to hear about your pup... that's tough.   Appreciate the feedback on the 2100 loop; right now we're slated for a full site over Thanksgiving which will be a first for us...we're going to loop the sites during our trip in October to scope them out better.  While we've been through all the loops, many times, we've never looked at them closely with a plan to camp there, so we need to do that.  This rig is 40', so our needs have changed there.

Disney Springs... we haven't been there, yet.  Actually, I have no desire to go but our trip in October will include family, so we may make a trip.  The kids like the TRex restaurant so, there's that :P

Well, our week at the mouse ended up being a relaxing time - but hot!

We really linked the 2100 loop and would not be disappointed if we got it again.   But, this trip was in our 18' Aliner.  For future trips we will probably bring the big camper, a 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 297RLDS.

We liked having our golf cart with us so we will probably bring it for future trips.  Our current drive time from SC is a little over 6 hours and we normally stop about an hour shy of the Fort when traveling down.  Once we move to the mountains full time it will increase the drive to a little over 8 hours, so we will have to look at it again then.

My sister ended up at the Wilderness lodge for one night and they upgraded her to concierge.  The service and food in the concierge lounge were very good.From the 7th floor you could easily see the DVC construction and it appears it will be over very soon.  The new pool looks great and the new pool bar is already open.  I was amazed at the DVC cabins along the shore stretching out on both sides of the resort.  They cover a huge amount of ground along Bay Lake.

Did I say it was hot?  I think future trips will be more in the winter months.....

Thanks for sharing.

I have a few questions for you...

1. Do you know if the Lake Monroe campground accommodates late arrivals? On our schedule, we wouldn't generally be reaching the Volusia/Seminole County line until around 01:00. My understanding is that they lock the gate at sundown, but give the gate code to the campers. Do they, perhaps, do this for campers who have yet to arrive?

2. What site were you in (at FW 2100) and did you like it?

3. Did you see a site you might like other than the one you stayed in?

4. Is there anything you didn't like about 2100?

Sorry for the pop quiz, but I appreciate your feedback.

19 minutes ago, OdysseusMontezuma said:

Thanks for sharing.

I have a few questions for you...

1. Do you know if the Lake Monroe campground accommodates late arrivals? On our schedule, we wouldn't generally be reaching the Volusia/Seminole County line until around 01:00. My understanding is that they lock the gate at sundown, but give the gate code to the campers. Do they, perhaps, do this for campers who have yet to arrive?

2. What site were you in (at FW 2100) and did you like it?

3. Did you see a site you might like other than the one you stayed in?

4. Is there anything you didn't like about 2100?

Sorry for the pop quiz, but I appreciate your feedback.

Yes, they include the gate code on your invoice they e-mail you.  You can arrive at any time and get in.

2122, backs up to sites in the 1100 loop.  Yes, I liked it.  They are currently cleaning out the canal on the opposite side of the loop and piling the mud on the bank.  I didn't want that side while they were working.

Some sites were shorter than others, but other than the two next to the comfort station sidewalk and a couple that back up on to the main street all seemed nice.

2100 loop is a bit out of the way if you don't have a golf cart.  I did so no problems.

6 minutes ago, tim5055 said:

Yes, they include the gate code on your invoice they e-mail you.  You can arrive at any time and get in.

2122, backs up top sites in the 1100 loop.  Yes, I liked it.  They are currently cleaning out the canal on the opposite side of the loop and piling the mud on the bank.  I didn't want that side while they were working.

Some sites were shorter than others, but other than the two next ot eh comfort station sidewalk and a couple hat back up on to the main street all seemed nice.

2100 loop is a bit out of the way if you don't have a golf cart.  I did so no problems.

Thanks!

I'll definitely consider staying there (Lake Monroe) next trip. It would be nice just to have water, as our party smells pretty bad by check-in time at the Fort. TMI, I know.

Do you think the shorter sites are too short for your Coachmen? I could pretty much fit my 29' Passport anywhere your big camper could go.

I was thinking of requesting 2112, but that's probably more so because I am a fan of Rush. ? But I do like being close to the CS, especially traveling with 6-8 people.

I'm probably going to try to get a cart for that trip, so 2100 might work out.

I appreciate the info.

• 7 months later...

We are staying at the Fort in April  with  our 34.5 Ft MH and our daughter  and family in a  cabin. We have requested  loops 2100 and 2300 and specifically hope to get the 2nd  or 3rd last site in 2100. If our Equinox  doesn't fit in our site we can park it at the cabin. We're prepared to request a different site if the assigned one doesn't work but they know our size and slide.