Hello, all. I'm new to the site! My family just got a used pop-up tent camper and I booked a four-night stay at the Fort the next-to-last week of June. Our pop up has a used AC unit, and we are planning on getting another one to supplement. My question is this: is pop-up camping in June in Florida unbearable because of the heat? We will have our two young children with us. We were there two years ago in early July and stayed at the Hilton Bonnet Creek and only went to MK one day. It was super hot then, but manageable because of the hotel's AC and pool. We're planning on only one day at MK again this year. TIA!

Thanks, Carol! I'm sure we will be fine but I just don't want to get that "I told you so" look from my husband, who doesn't love the heat! Also see you're from HVL, AL. That's where I was raised!

Welcome!

I've camped at the Fort many times in my pop-up camper in June, July and August.

My popup and AC are old now. The AC does fine at night, and if I'm lucky enough to have a spot with some shade.  But in the direct sunlight, it's a losing battle during the day.

Some folks swear by these solar bunk end covers: http://www.popupgizmos.com/bunkcoverpage.htm

Also, bring fans.  They are a blessing both inside and out.

On super hot days, my strategy is to plan on being away from camp during the heat of the day.  Since you only have one park day planned, that means a lot of pool time.  Just in case, you should think of some things that you can do in case it's too hot in the camper during the day.  A trip to a resort via Disney transportation for some ice cream or a cold drink is a good idea.  I also suggest that you consider a visit to one of Disney's waterparks.  That is a fun way to spend a hot afternoon.

Even if the kids get tired of swimming, there are organized activities at the pool every day that are fun and help to pass the time.

TCD

18 minutes ago, zannatista said:

Thanks, TCD. I had seen those solar covers and have really considered getting some.

I've never used them, and I've lived to tell the tale.

But, for the cost, it's worth giving them a try.

17 minutes ago, zannatista said:

I had also thought about taking the kids and husband for one day to the Weekee Wachee (spelling?) to see the mermaids.

Almost spelled it right.

Weeki Wachee.

I would vote no on that idea. It's about a 90 mile drive from the Fort.  I think Weeki Wachee is great-especially for the kids, but I wouldn't spend a whole day away from the Fort like that.  Maybe hit it on the way to or from the Fort and stay in a cheap hotel around there?

TCD

One thing about Florida heat, the sun is the main problem, if you stay in the shade and have a fan to make a breeze it is not too hot. The problem is being too active during the hat part of the day, why do you think they have siestas in Mexico. At night it usually cool off after the sun goes down and being surrounded by water there is often a breeze after dark. We haven't even turned on the ac yet this year, out of the house all day and it is cool enough at night with just a ceiling fan. 

If you havent you may want to pull the cover off of your AC unit and clean the coils out. That will help increase the efficiency which will help keep the inside of the pup cool. Those coils get covered in gunk after a year or two and a good cleaning will help the system better and cooler.

18 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Some folks swear by these solar bunk end covers: http://www.popupgizmos.com/bunkcoverpage.htm

Glad you brought those up!  We put them on the ends of our hybrid... they really do help.

11 hours ago, Travisma said:

We are the oddballs that don't have A/C in the PUP, and we've camped at the Fort twice over there 4th of July.  We use fans, either go swimming at night or take a shower before bed.  The advantage of a PUP is large windows with lots of air flow.

Haha... I was waiting for you to chime in ;)  Yes, you are oddballs.  Crazy, heat lovin', oddballs :P

We have a hybrid with 3 pop out tents  and a living room slide. The Gizmo covers make a HUGE difference during the day. Spend the extra 20-25$ and get the heavy wind hold down straps. You can be in direct sunlight and still feel the cool from the AC. We would not go anywhere without them.  

14 hours ago, Beckers said:

A big fan for outdoors is a great idea. While not camping inFL but during the summer in Nj and it was super hot with no breeze the fan made a huge difference 

This!  We happened to hit a particularly warm October a couple of years ago. We love sitting out at our site but there was zero breeze - and being from NH I melt when it hits 80. LOL

Having the big fan outside helped a lot.

WELCOME to Fort Fiends!

14 hours ago, BigTom said:

One thing about Florida heat, the sun is the main problem, if you stay in the shade and have a fan to make a breeze it is not too hot. The problem is being too active during the hat part of the day, why do you think they have siestas in Mexico. At night it usually cool off after the sun goes down and being surrounded by water there is often a breeze after dark. We haven't even turned on the ac yet this year, out of the house all day and it is cool enough at night with just a ceiling fan. 

You haven't turned your AC on yet this year?

We never turned ours off!

2017 has crushed 100 year old heat records in central Florida, and more is on the way.

I do agree with you about shade, though.

Zannatista- you should look into getting your hands on an EZ-up canopy or even a dining fly that you can string up over your picnic table- a shady spot to hang out in outside is essential.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You haven't turned your AC on yet this year?

We never turned ours off!

TCD

When we had this house built in the 80s we doubled the windows, installed ceiling fans and did not have AC installed. We got AC when my mother would not visit us and decided we needed AC and had it installed. If she had not had it installed we probably would still not have it. We didn't have heat installed either and still use a fire place for heat when needed. We also live in a rural area, so it is usually a little cooler than an area with a lot of pavement.

38 minutes ago, BigTom said:

When we had this house built in the 80s we doubled the windows, installed ceiling fans and did not have AC installed. We got AC when my mother would not visit us and decided we needed AC and had it installed. If she had not had it installed we probably would still not have it. We didn't have heat installed either and still use a fire place for heat when needed. We also live in a rural area, so it is usually a little cooler than an area with a lot of pavement.

Did you build a cracker style, or one on a slab?

Those old Floridians were darn smart.

1 hour ago, BigTom said:

Good for you.

Mrs. TCD was born and raised in central Florida, as was her mother, and her mother's mother.  They go way back.  Back then, people didn't have AC in their homes, and yet they somehow survived.  I couldn't to it.

TCD