New to the Fort and 3 and 18 month old which premium loop?

Hi all! My DH and I are DVC owners, but we've used and abused our points, so we are trying a new adventure.  Due to not having points, but having an annual pass discount, our original idea for this trip was to try the cabins. However with a lot of research, I found Meacham's RV rental and they worked with us and we have a golf cart. I've also rented a propane grill before I realized that they had community ones, but it might be nice to have one at our site. I've been lurking about all the things we need to pack, extension cords, rope to line dry clothes, etc. but I'm still not feeling good about which loop to be in.  We have paid for a premium site. The RV we've rented has 3 slide outs and is 32 foot, and we have a rental car, so I can get groceries.

I worry about being close to a canal, and the road. We don't care about noise from the pool area, but we would like to be close to the playground. I want to call and request a few sites, and I know it's not guaranteed.  We are seriously considering buying a RV so this will be a good indication of how I will do.  My idea of camping is a hotel with a bar...lol. However, where we live there are  so many little lakes and great camping sites, and we want our kids to experience nature, and have fun. So excited! We will be at the fort from the 4th of June to the 12th!  Thanks so much in advance :)

melissa

Hi Melissa,

Welcome!  Our first experience camping at The Fort (with a rental also!) was in the 1400 loop (a couple sites are close to the canal, so you'd want to be careful there).  We were very happy with it as it's close to the pool, a playground and Chip-n-Dale's Bonfire.  Having said that both the 1200 and 1300 loops are very nice and there is a playground super close to those as well.  I think you'd be happy with any of those loops.   If you have a pet, that will play a part in what loop you can be in.  

Have a great time!!

We like 1200 and 1300. Problem is with some sites in 1300 you can back up to the canal and some sites in 1200 can backup to the road. They are really close to a playground bit both loops share a single comfort station and it can get busy in that comfort station in the mornings and at night.

1100 is a nice loop but you have to walk across the road to get to the same playground by 1200/1300.

I am not a fan of 1400 but that is because some sites back there seem to be on top of each other with little privacy compared to the 1100/1200/1300 loops.

Overall any loop at the Fort is going to be great. It is the Fort after all. Good luck and have a great trip.

If you have a premium site reserved, and don't want to back up to a road or canal, and you want to be close to a playground, 1300 is probably your best choice.

Here's a map with the sites numbered:

1300_zpsniy1mpc7.jpg

You can see what sites back up to the canal -so stay away from those.  There is a road behind 1308 and 1309, but there's some space between the backs of those sites and the road.

As you can see, that leaves plenty of sites that don't back up to the canal or a road.

You mentioned that you will have a golf cart.  With the golf cart, you can hop around to the different playgrounds around the Fort-so being close to one isn't that important.

Have fun!

TCD

Thanks everyone! I am beyond excited, and nervous as I worry we will become addicted and end up buying a TT..lol!  We are 13 days out and I will update with a first hand report if that will interest anyone. I have searched and searched for trip reports from super newbies and they are few and far between. So glad I came upon this message board!

18 minutes ago, Mellvswdw1 said:

Thanks everyone!  This site is awesome.  Much better info here, then other places. I will use the letter for requests I saw on a different thread and hope to get the 1400 or 1300 loop.  We are 12 sleeps away from our first Fort experience, super excited!  

Good luck!

In case you didn't read this tip on another thread, when requesting a site, it is a good idea to include your reasons for requesting a specific site.  Tell them that you do not want to back up to a canal or a road, and that you would like to be close to a playground.  That way, if the specific sites you request are not available, the assigner can try to find you something that meets your criteria.  They usually do a good job with this.

TCD

Thanks everyone! I am beyond excited, and nervous as I worry we will become addicted and end up buying a TT..lol!  We are 13 days out and I will update with a first hand report if that will interest anyone. I have searched and searched for trip reports from super newbies and they are few and far between. So glad I came upon this message board!

Welcome! First and foremost enjoy your trip to the Fort with your family. However, if you do feel inclined to share your experience we would gladly enjoy reading about it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi Melissa! I can't even tell you what a great time you'll have at the Fort! I've been going to Disney since I was little when it first opened and my favorite place to stay BY FAR, is the Fort! Even more than the deluxe resorts! The Meacham's are great people. I've used several of their units. I also have a Disney podcast (WDWmousenger) that you can find on iTunes or stitcher and I had the Meacham's on as guests to talk about what they do. You might enjoy listening. I also did a couple of shows about the Fort's history, too, that you might like. And as for favorite loops, there are several great ones, but my personal favorite is the 700 loop. You're close to everything, and there's also no canal since I see in your post you aren't comfortable with one since you have the little ones. Also, the 500 loop is a good choice. Hope you enjoy the Fort as much as we do!

Thanks so much, I will check it out!  We are counting down the sleeps!  I got a good deal for our first night at WDW.  We are at the poly for one night on rented points. Moving the next day to the Fort, and I keep thinking about how relaxing the Fort will be. It is much needed!

The Fort is a great spot to relax.  And, if you want to do something "easy" rather than going to the parks, you can walk, bike, golf-cart, swim, boat, canoe, play, & even do some simple shopping at the trading posts.  Don't forget the Chip & Dale meet and greet and movies.  Finally, there is the Trail's End for sit-down dining, or the to-go pick up.

We have spent days at the Fort doing "nothin".

1 hour ago, PghBob said:

The Fort is a great spot to relax.  And, if you want to do something "easy" rather than going to the parks, you can walk, bike, golf-cart, swim, boat, canoe, play, & even do some simple shopping at the trading posts.  Don't forget the Chip & Dale meet and greet and movies.  Finally, there is the Trail's End for sit-down dining, or the to-go pick up.

We have spent days at the Fort doing "nothin".

We have gone for a weeks stay at the Fort and just stayed there or resort hopped and never set foot in a park ( because of black out dates). It almost feels like your cheating yourself if you do leave the Fort and spend all day at a park!

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

We have gone for a weeks stay at the Fort and just stayed there or resort hopped and never set foot in a park ( because of black out dates). It almost feels like your cheating yourself if you do leave the Fort and spend all day at a park!

We've done this too and since we don't have AP's the only reason was we didn't want the hustle and bustle of the parks. Instead opting for relaxation, resort hopping, Cirque du Soleil  and dining.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!  Just checking in from The Fort!  We are in the inside loop in 1400.  Great spot from what I can tell so far.  We have had a long two days. Traveling all day yesterday with a major delay so it was 10:30 before we got to the poly.  We had an early morning at Chef Mickey's and a quick stop at the magic kingdom.  We got to the fort around 2ish.  

The travel trailer we rented is in phenomenal shape and Andrew from Meechams was fantastic.  We got our baby stuff delivered and a propane gas grill by 4:30. By that time I was pooped, and we decided to not go grocery shopping and we ended up at trails end.  Wow was that good! We love having a golf cart. It was nice when We stopped at Meadows and got a few things. Got back unpacked, bathed the kiddos and they are peacefully sleeping and we are having a glass of wine!  A good day overall. I may take this update and start a trip report. 

Thanks to all the help to make our first trip great!

Melissa

16 hours ago, Mellvswdw1 said:

Hi all!  Just checking in from The Fort!  We are in the inside loop in 1400.  Great spot from what I can tell so far.  We have had a long two days. Traveling all day yesterday with a major delay so it was 10:30 before we got to the poly.  We had an early morning at Chef Mickey's and a quick stop at the magic kingdom.  We got to the fort around 2ish.  

The travel trailer we rented is in phenomenal shape and Andrew from Meechams was fantastic.  We got our baby stuff delivered and a propane gas grill by 4:30. By that time I was pooped, and we decided to not go grocery shopping and we ended up at trails end.  Wow was that good! We love having a golf cart. It was nice when We stopped at Meadows and got a few things. Got back unpacked, bathed the kiddos and they are peacefully sleeping and we are having a glass of wine!  A good day overall. I may take this update and start a trip report. 

Thanks to all the help to make our first trip great!

Melissa

Sounds wonderful!  Have a magical trip!!