As said before glad all are ok, thanks for following thru with details it might help others down the road, I thought about a swivel wheel trailer but we are right around 65' total length now and didn't want to push that.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks everyone!  I'm most happy about being able to provide content to this forum that I get so much enjoyment reading.   I'm not always in the know about current Disney events, and not one to p

By definition, aren't cougers usually a bit older? Sent from my handheld doohickie

I forgot that's what yours was....I remember our discussions now.  Maybe I'll look into that.  Always looking for an excuse to come to Florida.  

Posted Images

Holy smokes!! If your going down better to make it big and take out all 3 lanes. Mercy glad you all are okay. I have severe tow anxiety and can't imagine how I would ever pull again after an event like that. When did this happen? Did Disney help you with your stay? Last year as we pulled down a similar event happen to another couple staying at the Fort. Disney comped their stay and paid for them to stay in a rental trailer while they sorted out what the next step would be.

6 minutes ago, Dogdiver said:

We were only 36 miles from home near Gainesville on Mother's Day weekend.

Called the fort and they canceled our reservation.

Ya, 36 miles on the Smart Trailer and I can't even give it away with good conscious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My camper didn't have enough pin weight to handle the swivel wheel I even added 400lbs over the hitch and it still wasn't enough. I towed it from Texas to the fort and back worst towing experience of my life. 

On 6/18/2017 at 4:06 PM, LONE-STAR said:

My camper didn't have enough pin weight to handle the swivel wheel I even added 400lbs over the hitch and it still wasn't enough. I towed it from Texas to the fort and back worst towing experience of my life. 

The only one I would ever consider is the 3 wheel Smart Trailer unit made in Lakeland, puts little if any weight on the back of the FW.

On 6/17/2017 at 9:16 AM, Dogdiver said:

Service truck on the shoulder with flashers.  I'm in the right lane just as an 18 wheeler in the center lane. Sandwiched between them doing 65 mph.

Diver, please do not take this in the wrong way because we all have done it.. But.. As a former police officer I want to point something out.

Florida's Move Over Law States:
Drivers must vacate the lane closest to the stationary emergency vehicle, tow truck, sanitation, or utility vehicle. Drivers must slow down to a speed of 20 mph below the posted speed limit if they cannot move over safely.

If you think that gust of wind was rough on you, imagine what it is like for police officers or workers on the side of the road.

I should also point out that under Florida law, You can not pull a second trailer behind a trailer. Many officers do not know the law and let allot of things slide but the Florida statute is very specific.

I was unable to move over as there was an 18 wheeler next to me in the center lane doing 70+.

The Smart Trailer lists the unit as an extension to the 5er, that's why the plate was moved to the "extension". Splitting hairs I know but well researched by the manufacturer.

Never again.

54 minutes ago, Dogdiver said:

The Smart Trailer lists the unit as an extension to the 5er, that's why the plate was moved to the "extension". 

Did you have an actual "Smart Trailer". The reason I ask, is when I talked to them they said only to use their 3 wheel version for a GC on the back of a 5er and that FL considers it a trailer and it was illegal since it would be triple towing. That was one reason we never bought it.

1 hour ago, Dogdiver said:

I was unable to move over as there was an 18 wheeler next to me in the center lane doing 70+.

The Smart Trailer lists the unit as an extension to the 5er, that's why the plate was moved to the "extension". Splitting hairs I know but well researched by the manufacturer.

I actually had this conversation with Chris at Smart today. In Florida if it has wheels, lights, etc. It is a trailer and can not be towed behind another trailer which in Florida includes a 5er

Smart actually even has a VIN and requires an additional tag on it. Had a court case a few years back and was told if it touches the ground it is an additional axle and considered a trailer. There are a few exceptions for farm equipment but this certainly would not count.

Smart Trailer has changed their marketing approach since May of this year. He delivered it to my home and gave me the instructions himself while two feet from my 38 foot fifth wheel. Specific that it was legal in Florida as an "extension".

Will be taking legal advice soon if they don't refund the $4,400 soon.

Well back in 2007 I researched this very thoroughly and at that time a swivel wheel that was built in texas did not meet Florida's definition of a trailer. Florida law stated a trailer was a ball mounted device. The swivel wheel was bolted to my trailer and did not use a ball. I actually carried a copy of the laws with me in my truck in case I needded them never did. But the funny part was I did have two different cops approach me about it, but only because they wanted to buy one. But again I would not  use one again. I bought a toyhauler.

Here is the current Florida Statutes defining what a trailer is.

316.003(89) TRAILER.—Any vehicle with or without motive power, other than a pole trailer, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle.

And just in case someone tries to argue the pole trailer definition.

316.003(52) POLE TRAILER.—Any vehicle without motive power designed to be drawn by another vehicle and attached to the towing vehicle by means of a reach or pole, or by being boomed or otherwise secured to the towing vehicle, and ordinarily used for transporting long or irregularly shaped loads such as poles, pipes, or structural members capable, generally, of sustaining themselves as beams between the supporting connections.

Maybe I should also include the definition for vehicle.

316.003(95) VEHICLE.—Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.

Well back in 2007 I researched this very thoroughly and at that time a swivel wheel that was built in texas did not meet Florida's definition of a trailer. Florida law stated a trailer was a ball mounted device. The swivel wheel was bolted to my trailer and did not use a ball. I actually carried a copy of the laws with me in my truck in case I needded them never did. But the funny part was I did have two different cops approach me about it, but only because they wanted to buy one. But again I would not  use one again. I bought a toyhauler.

That was quite a discussion back in the DIS days.

Sent from my handheld doohickie

14 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

That was quite a discussion back in the DIS days.

Sent from my handheld doohickie

Yes it was everybody trying to figure out how to get their golf cart to the fort it would have been cheaper just to rent them.