Going to the Hershey Rv show on Saturday. Hoping to see all of the rigs we have narrowed down to. I am still hoping to find one used that have had the kinks worked out.  I have found extensive complaints on all varieties of rv chat forums regardless of manufacturer about new build quality.  And I mean many more than usual it seems. 

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks everyone!  I'm most happy about being able to provide content to this forum that I get so much enjoyment reading.   I'm not always in the know about current Disney events, and not one to p

By definition, aren't cougers usually a bit older? Sent from my handheld doohickie

I forgot that's what yours was....I remember our discussions now.  Maybe I'll look into that.  Always looking for an excuse to come to Florida.  

Posted Images

14 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

Going to the Hershey Rv show on Saturday. Hoping to see all of the rigs we have narrowed down to. I am still hoping to find one used that have had the kinks worked out.  I have found extensive complaints on all varieties of rv chat forums regardless of manufacturer about new build quality.  And I mean many more than usual it seems. 

Hope you get there early as the traffic for the show is usually a nightmare!!!! Report back on your findings on both the units you like and a crowd report, I went Wed and the attendance was reported higher then last years first day and todays weather looks a lot better then Wed. Have fun and good luck!!!!!!!!

11 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Hope you get there early as the traffic for the show is usually a nightmare!!!! Report back on your findings on both the units you like and a crowd report, I went Wed and the attendance was reported higher then last years first day and todays weather looks a lot better then Wed. Have fun and good luck!!!!!!!!

We didn't leave home as early as I would have liked but we did make it by 10:15 and beat the crowd rush. I must say there are too many people for the amount of security lines and water vendors.  If I ever come back, it will be on a week day....they must really clean up with the revenue though!  

The Cougar rep was a real wack job.  While looking in the camper with us,  he asked if we were ready to buy, and I told him in the spring.  He replied, you'll pay 5 grand more then.  I responded, you may get someone else to pay 5k more in the spring, but not me!  After comparing against the others we've narrowed down to, the Cougar 328rlk was the least quality built unit, though it would probably be the most affordable.

The Elkridge 31rlk was there and I did like it, the interior seemed a bit thin and it did not have a vacuum bonded rear wall along with the Cougar, something I will really weigh as all of the campers I have flipped over the year have had soft rear walls using hung fiberglass and this would really help that.  

The Palomino/ Forest river columbus 298rlc is tied for my favorite for sure, but I don't like the solid peninsula island.

The crusader 338rsk was not there but an idential floorplan without the outside kitchen was, and I thought it was pretty well built, save for the kitchen island rocking when you wiggled it. 

The Jayco 317rlok is my other favorite because of dual awnings and the unique color. 

ALL of the campers had the ac's running full blast with the doors open and I was impressed with how cool they were inside. And I was impressed with how quiet the new whisper quiet ac ducting methods are.  Although that could be a drawback with noisy neighbors and when we leave our dogs as the the old style units drownd out a lot of sound.

I saw many units with the new Goodyear Endurance tires and a few with China bombs sporting spare tires already mounted after blowouts on the way!

At any rate, I will not pay more than 65 to 70 percent of msrp period,  and anyone following me here should follow suit. I unfortunately have to shop on price so that may be the ultimate deciding factor,  unless I can actually find one of these newer floorplans for sale at a good price. 

We then went to Hersheys chocolate world for the free tour and got a few candies for the belly. 

Resting at the hotel now, but off to Troegs brewery in a few!

Sorry for any phone typos!

PGH, glad you had a good day at the show, also glad you were able to compare the brands you are interested in. I am very happy with our present and past Forest River product and the Columbus has been a great unit for many friends, check out the Forest River Owners Forum for more info. We also had a Jayco once and were very happy with it also just hope Thor's backing does not ruin them from what they have built.

This was the first show that we went to that we were "left alone".  Not one sales rep bothered us first or even ask us if we had any questions, nor did anyone of them even say hi.  Maybe we were dressed poor or my robotic knee brace (which set off the metal detector) intimidated them....I don't know...it was weird.   I liked that I had a chance to actually look at and lift the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch and know that is what I'm going to purchase for my new to me truck.  No more rails in the bed for me.

On 9/18/2017 at 6:37 PM, bhall said:

This was the first show that we went to that we were "left alone".  Not one sales rep bothered us first or even ask us if we had any questions, nor did anyone of them even say hi.  Maybe we were dressed poor or my robotic knee brace (which set off the metal detector) intimidated them....I don't know...it was weird.   I liked that I had a chance to actually look at and lift the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch and know that is what I'm going to purchase for my new to me truck.  No more rails in the bed for me.

I'll agree we weren't really bothered besides the Cougar guy. I too run a bw, I say it's the best hitch you can buy,  but it is a heavy mother. 

And just when I thought I had things narrowed down, Grand Design, a manufacturer I was hoping to find made something I liked, just put up a new 320mks floor plan that is spot on what we're looking for.  I didn't see it at the show, so now I've got to take another trip to a dealer in my future. 

4 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

I'll agree we weren't really bothered besides the Cougar guy. I too run a bw, I say it's the best hitch you can buy,  but it is a heavy mother. 

And just when I thought I had things narrowed down, Grand Design, a manufacturer I was hoping to find made something I liked, just put up a new 320mks floor plan that is spot on what we're looking for.  I didn't see it at the show, so now I've got to take another trip to a dealer in my future. 

I'm picking up the Companion Hitch in 11 hours from a local dealer.  It is heavy, but in 2 pieces it's way lighter and more manageable  then the Reese Slider Hitch that I still have and need to sell.  I don't remember seeing that particular Grand Design either.  Good luck on whatever you decide on!  That 320mks is pretty sweet. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2017 at 12:28 PM, Dogdiver said:

I'm an ER Trauma Center Nurse for 29+ years. Now a Hospice RN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trauma at UF Shands? Makes me wonder if you had a hand in saving my son back in 2013. 

BTW,  we live off 247, about halfway between Lake City and Branford. Howdy neighbor! 

To the OP,  my son lives in a Keystone Cougar on our property. We've been very impressed by the quality. Only complaint is the stickers peeling off the outside. 

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, PGHFiend said:

I may have found a used 5er that fits the bill. Bad news is it's in St. Augustine 900 miles from me, double bad is its at a Camping World.  Anyone have an experience with this particular dealer?

I dont but TJ lives in Jaxonville and I could probably reach out to him to go check it out for you. 

18 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

I may have found a used 5er that fits the bill. Bad news is it's in St. Augustine 900 miles from me, double bad is its at a Camping World.  Anyone have an experience with this particular dealer?

Camping World :cantbelieveit:

They dropped the price 1,000. I called and talked to the most clueless salesmen I've spoken to in a while.  So far they had it advertised as having dual ac and it only has 1.  I wish I could see it in person but it's a pretty good price and it's a model I've been looking for. 

I'm going to think about it for a day or two. 

13 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

They dropped the price 1,000. I called and talked to the most clueless salesmen I've spoken to in a while.  So far they had it advertised as having dual ac and it only has 1.  I wish I could see it in person but it's a pretty good price and it's a model I've been looking for. 

I'm going to think about it for a day or two. 

No...no...NO.

Dual a/c, when it only has 1?!    That's JUST the beginning.

Run away!!

Ok, I know how you feel about camping world, so I found another one closer to home, 5k more though.....and at another camping world! 

I have narrowed it down to the newest, most affordable rig that checks 90 percent of the boxes without taking a bath on new depreciation............

I think it's going to be used Grand Design 317rst! 2015 or 2016, if I can track down a used one.  It is much harder to find a specific model used RV than you would think. 

I'm doing my homework at least. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, someone put a deposit on the Grand Design 317 at the St. Augustine Camping World I was looking at...so that was out. 

A day or two later I heard Dave Ramsey's voice in my head telling me to not spend the money we had planned.

So now after feeling too guilty to get the $42k new model 320mks,

And too guilty to spend $30k on a used model 

And because I'm a glutton for punishment..... 

I got lucky (or I'm a moron) and happened to come across a mint 2015 Grand Design 317 just like I was looking for......except someone hit it into a low overhang and put a hole in the roof!

For $11k!

So now I've got a project, and a Fort spring break deadline!

Only thing missing is the dinette so I need to see if I can order one from the factory. Other than that, some basic wood repair skills and rubber roof replacement and I should be in business. 

To all that have followed along or added suggestions, thank you!

Ps. If I can get some pics to work I'll take some before and afters. 

3 minutes ago, PGHFiend said:

Well, someone put a deposit on the Grand Design 317 at the St. Augustine Camping World I was looking at...so that was out. 

A day or two later I heard Dave Ramsey's voice in my head telling me to not spend the money we had planned.

So now after feeling too guilty to get the $42k new model 320mks,

And too guilty to spend $30k on a used model 

And because I'm a glutton for punishment..... 

I got lucky (or I'm a moron) and happened to come across a mint 2015 Grand Design 317 just like I was looking for......except someone hit it into a low overhang and put a hole in the roof!

For $11k!

So now I've got a project, and a Fort spring break deadline!

Only thing missing is the dinette so I need to see if I can order one from the factory. Other than that, some basic wood repair skills and rubber roof replacement and I should be in business. 

To all that have followed along or added suggestions, thank you!

Ps. If I can get some pics to work I'll take some before and afters. 

Awesome!!