• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks everyone!  I'm most happy about being able to provide content to this forum that I get so much enjoyment reading.   I'm not always in the know about current Disney events, and not one to p

By definition, aren't cougers usually a bit older? Sent from my handheld doohickie

I forgot that's what yours was....I remember our discussions now.  Maybe I'll look into that.  Always looking for an excuse to come to Florida.  

Posted Images

19 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

Well, someone put a deposit on the Grand Design 317 at the St. Augustine Camping World I was looking at...so that was out. 

A day or two later I heard Dave Ramsey's voice in my head telling me to not spend the money we had planned.

So now after feeling too guilty to get the $42k new model 320mks,

And too guilty to spend $30k on a used model 

And because I'm a glutton for punishment..... 

I got lucky (or I'm a moron) and happened to come across a mint 2015 Grand Design 317 just like I was looking for......except someone hit it into a low overhang and put a hole in the roof!

For $11k!

So now I've got a project, and a Fort spring break deadline!

Only thing missing is the dinette so I need to see if I can order one from the factory. Other than that, some basic wood repair skills and rubber roof replacement and I should be in business. 

To all that have followed along or added suggestions, thank you!

Ps. If I can get some pics to work I'll take some before and afters. 

Awesome deal. CONGRATS and thanks for the update.

2 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Awesome deal. CONGRATS and thanks for the update.

I thought so too. Lets hope im not wrong!

21 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

I see Dave at church every week.  If you want me to tell him to get out of your head, let me know.  :lol:

I'd really appreciate that. Tell him the cookies were good too! 

My uncle owns a radio station here and gets a tin of cookies from the Dave Ramsey show at Christmas time.  He knows how much the show has helped us so one year he gave them to me with a fake congratulatory note inside. Are Christy cookies well known in the area?

48 minutes ago, PGHFiend said:

I thought so too. Lets hope im not wrong!

I'd really appreciate that. Tell him the cookies were good too! 

My uncle owns a radio station here and gets a tin of cookies from the Dave Ramsey show at Christmas time.  He knows how much the show has helped us so one year he gave them to me with a fake congratulatory note inside. Are Christy cookies well known in the area?

Yes, Christy's is a Nashville based company.   Their white chocolate and dried cherry cookies are really good.   

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:01 PM, PGHFiend said:

I got lucky (or I'm a moron) and happened to come across a mint 2015 Grand Design 317 just like I was looking for......except someone hit it into a low overhang and put a hole in the roof!

For $11k!

So now I've got a project, and a Fort spring break deadline!

Only thing missing is the dinette so I need to see if I can order one from the factory. Other than that, some basic wood repair skills and rubber roof replacement and I should be in business. 

Don't forget there are a lot of RV Surplus stores around the Elkhart in. area that might have things you'll need. The best one we like is run by a Amish family so that one you would have to actually visit the others would have sites online, good luck on your project.

10 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Don't forget there are a lot of RV Surplus stores around the Elkhart in. area that might have things you'll need. The best one we like is run by a Amish family so that one you would have to actually visit the others would have sites online, good luck on your project.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I called an order in for parts today, can't wait to see this bill. I think as long as I can stay within a few grand of repairs I'll be ahead of the game.  I did look and found a place in Michigan called Bontragers supply on your suggestion.  They list lots of dinettes,  I can always ride out and pick one up. On a similar note, one place I have used before is factory rv surplus in Elkhart. 

10 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I called an order in for parts today, can't wait to see this bill. I think as long as I can stay within a few grand of repairs I'll be ahead of the game.  I did look and found a place in Michigan called Bontragers supply on your suggestion.  They list lots of dinettes,  I can always ride out and pick one up. On a similar note, one place I have used before is factory rv surplus in Elkhart. 

Make sure to post, before and after pics!

On 1/13/2018 at 6:41 PM, DaveInTN said:

Yes, Christy's is a Nashville based company.   Their white chocolate and dried cherry cookies are really good.   

Those cookies are the best!  A consultant we use sends the to me at Christmas!

Also doesn't Christy's supply the cookies to Double Tree?

WBI

Well, it was repair day number one.  I had to replace the main electric wire as someone cut it, I think to remove a hardwire surge protector.  Once that was done, I did a bunch of troubleshooting and found a few things I didn't expect.....like every single thing except two light fixtures  work perfectly! 12v converter,  power awning, led lights,  tv's, fireplace all work, and I found all the remotes and the keys!

On the other hand, there are 8 broken roof trusses and I removed 16 feet of ceiling board and the insulation under it. Now it's thawing and drying.

Are you all using imugr still?

Ok, still drying out but getting close.  Bought wood for the truss repair, the factory used a 2x3 ripped in half for the trusses so wood and screws were less than 50 bucks.  On the other hand I ordered some repair parts and the rubber roof.  

As a bonus all 3 holding tanks hold water......want to know how I found out?

On 1/23/2018 at 7:57 PM, PGHFiend said:

Ok, still drying out but getting close.  Bought wood for the truss repair, the factory used a 2x3 ripped in half for the trusses so wood and screws were less than 50 bucks.  On the other hand I ordered some repair parts and the rubber roof.  

Yes.

Congratulations on your good buy.

On 1/20/2018 at 9:22 PM, PGHFiend said:

Well, it was repair day number one.  I had to replace the main electric wire as someone cut it, I think to remove a hardwire surge protector.  Once that was done, I did a bunch of troubleshooting and found a few things I didn't expect.....like every single thing except two light fixtures  work perfectly! 12v converter,  power awning, led lights,  tv's, fireplace all work, and I found all the remotes and the keys!

On the other hand, there are 8 broken roof trusses and I removed 16 feet of ceiling board and the insulation under it. Now it's thawing and drying.

Are you all using imugr still?

On 1/23/2018 at 7:57 PM, PGHFiend said:

Wow... sounds like you've got a lot done.  Great job!   Our rig has a small leak and I need to drop the underbelly to try an locate it (tried a scope, but can't see that well)... I'm pushing off that job, as it sounds like a lot of work.  Haha.  Listening to what you've done, I'm embarrassed :P

18 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Yes.

Congratulations on your good buy.

Are you eating? So it's been reallllly cold here for the last 2 weeks and last weekend it warmed up a little and it was enough to thaw all of the snow.  I never checked the info center for the battery and holding tank levels figuring I'd get around to it.  Since it was thawed out, I thought I'd try the tank valves to see if they were stuck or anything.  I was instantly rewarded with a scene that reminded me of the Beverly Hillbillies. 

Black gold, Texas tea. 

Right there in the driveway.  What could I do? Luckily BOTH grey tanks were also full so I used that as a rinse! Steep hillside off a gravel driveway helped move things along. And then it rained hard so I'm ok there. But wow. 

12 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Wow... sounds like you've got a lot done.  Great job!   Our rig has a small leak and I need to drop the underbelly to try an locate it (tried a scope, but can't see that well)... I'm pushing off that job, as it sounds like a lot of work.  Haha.  Listening to what you've done, I'm embarrassed :P

I did get a lot done in the short time but there's lots to do. Found out the propane line was cut so I had to fix that as well.  Hope to have the trusses repaired this weekend.  

Don't be afraid to tackle the leak!  It doesen't take any special skill to remove a few bolts and have a peek.  Especially not at 100 bucks an hour for someone else to do it. 

13 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

Don't be afraid to tackle the leak!  It doesen't take any special skill to remove a few bolts and have a peek.  Especially not at 100 bucks an hour for someone else to do it. 

That was my thought.  Our rig is still under warranty HOWEVER.... I cleared the lines and poured antifreeze down the sinks but, I did not push the antifreeze through the lines (from the outside, where you bypass the water heater) and we (like most everyone else) had that ridiculously long freeze spell... so I'm worried that I may have cracked a pipe and I know that the warranty will not cover that. 

Stupid mistake. 

19 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

Are you eating? So it's been reallllly cold here for the last 2 weeks and last weekend it warmed up a little and it was enough to thaw all of the snow.  I never checked the info center for the battery and holding tank levels figuring I'd get around to it.  Since it was thawed out, I thought I'd try the tank valves to see if they were stuck or anything.  I was instantly rewarded with a scene that reminded me of the Beverly Hillbillies. 

Black gold, Texas tea. 

Right there in the driveway.  What could I do? Luckily BOTH grey tanks were also full so I used that as a rinse! Steep hillside off a gravel driveway helped move things along. And then it rained hard so I'm ok there. But wow. 

Oh my goodness, thank God for all that rain!

20 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

Black gold, Texas tea. 

I know it had to be a mess but I just had to chuckle.

Oh my gosh... RV manufactures drive me crazy!!   

Went to pull down the underbelly of our rig, to try and search out the leak.   Yeah... it's not all bolts.  The bolts hold the (I'm not sure what you'd call it) the bottom exterior black piece.  It's probably aluminum and it starts, where the fiberglass siding stops.  That aluminum bends down and under the rig about a foot and it is screwed to the underbelly.  The actual underbelly is secured in by some sort of nail.  Thought it was a screw (a 1/4" socket finally grabbed it to "thread" it out), but it just turned and turned... finally tugged and it pulled out some sort of nail.  I but it back together, frustrated, as I have 10 to pull out just for one small section and I'm concerned that once I pull them out, getting it all back up and put together may not be easy (meaning maybe I'll do something to one or more of these "nails").  Kicker is... this leak could be under warranty, I just don't know as I can't see it to know what broke.  If I just pushed the antifreeze through the lines (again, I did pour them down the line so if it was freeze damage, it would have to be for the kitchen or bath faucet.

Feeling so frustrated....