Disney Springs Preferred parking - $10

You didn't think it would stay free forever did you? It's obvious people have been leaving Disney Springs with money still in their pocket and we can't have that. The article says this is the first of paid parking options so my guess is there will eventually be one free parking spot at the furthest parking space there and security will have a car parked in it. 

11 minutes ago, keith_h said:

You didn't think it would stay free forever did you? It's obvious people have been leaving Disney Springs with money still in their pocket and we can't have that. The article says this is the first of paid parking options so my guess is there will eventually be one free parking spot at the furthest parking space there and security will have a car parked in it. 

LOL.

And I still think that charging for parking at the hotels is not far away.  They already charge resort guests to park at the hotels in Disneyland.

TCD

LOL.

And I still think that charging for parking at the hotels is not far away.  They already charge resort guests to park at the hotels in Disneyland.

TCD

Especially for the monorail and Epcot area resorts.... or really any Deluxe resort. $20-25/night is pretty standard these days for that level of hotel.

Sent from my handheld doohickie

5 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Wow.  Not worth $10 at all. 

And, I'll bet this is only the beginning.

I could see them do the same with certain decks in the parking garages.

TCD

Hasn't this been in place at the parks for the last couple years

11 hours ago, Travisma said:

Paying for parking is one of the things that drove shoppers away from downtown cores to shopping at malls.  Even though it was way back then 10 cents an hour, parking for free for hours on end was a big draw for shoppers to go to malls.

True. And  don't forget a third garage is coming and I'd imagine the last thing Disney wants is to spend a bazillion dollars on the DS revamp, only to have people not show up and spend money because of a parking fee.  I'd expect this will go the way of most things Disney these days - there will always be a free option, but it's not as shiny (or close) as the paid one.

I was wondering how paid parking effects Universal City Walk - which is essentially UO's version of Disney Springs.  The only parking there if you're not staying in one of their resorts has only ever been in the garage and it's generally the same price as Disney charges to park at the parks for the day.

Turns out in February they dropped the parking fee after 6pm for FL residents - http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/theme-park-rangers-blog/os-bz-universal-parking-garage-free-20170201-story.html

True there's not a whole lot to *do* besides eat, drink and spend money, but the one thing we like is that they've added a lot of live music throughout.  Pretty much anywhere there's a place with a deck, there's some music. We've been known to while away some hours sitting on the comfy sofas at the margarita bar listening to some pretty decent performers. The trick is to sip those margaritas slowly.  ;)

• 1 month later...

There was an update posted on the valet, preferred and parking lot names.  I was also told by people on the DVC tour that they are planning at least one, but most probably two more parking garages across the street, hence all the dirt they are dragging all over the place over there.  Sorry guys, I forgot the pictures last trip.  Here is the article from June 5th evening.

http://www.chipandco.com/preferred-parking-changes-coming-disney-springs-274336/

Disney-Springs-Parking-700x428.jpg

Starting July 8 the Disney Springs preferred parking areas will see some changes. Currently guests pay $10 to park in either the Lemon (Marketplace) or Grapefruit (West side) lots. This Saturday the Mango parking lot will be taking over for Grapefruit as preferred parking. Lemon will continue to be preferred as well.

Self Parking is still available in the other surface lots and garages. Designated parking spaces for Guests with disabilities are available in both the Orange and Lime Garages.

Valet parking is available for $20 at the following locations:

• Near the entrance to the Orange Garage from 10:00 AM to 2:00 AM
  • On West Side in front of Cirque du Soleil from 4:00 PM to 2:00 AM
  • In the Lemon Lot near the World of Disney shop from 10:00 AM to 2:00 AM

We used the preferred parking at Universal because we didn't want my 80+ year old mom to be walked out before we got into the park.  It was a nice option and we had to pay anyway, but it was one day.  The hard part about Disney Springs is that we have never found the bus service to be wonderful, so it is one of the places we frequently drive.  It is very low on our list of favorite places to go, so parking charges and long walks to the places we want to go will definitely influence our decision to visit.

12 minutes ago, kadancer said:

We used the preferred parking at Universal because we didn't want my 80+ year old mom to be walked out before we got into the park.  It was a nice option and we had to pay anyway, but it was one day.  The hard part about Disney Springs is that we have never found the bus service to be wonderful, so it is one of the places we frequently drive.  It is very low on our list of favorite places to go, so parking charges and long walks to the places we want to go will definitely influence our decision to visit.

Does DS they have a drop off area for regular people?  They must have one for taxi's, limos, etc.

Would keep passengers from having a long walk, just the driver would get exercise.

Another option that would require some walking, is to go to Port Orleans and take the boat to DS.  It's a great relaxing ride.

42 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Does DS they have a drop off area for regular people?  They must have one for taxi's, limos, etc.

Would keep passengers from having a long walk, just the driver would get exercise.

Another option that would require some walking, is to go to Port Orleans and take the boat to DS.  It's a great relaxing ride.

I would like to know about a drop off also.  That would make things more "doable" for us.  I forgot all about the boat ride - my Mom loves that.

1 hour ago, kadancer said:

Have you been to Disney Springs since the parking garages have opened?

With the electronic indicators telling you how many spaces are open on each level, and where they are, the walk from your car to the shops is much better now than it was when it was all surface parking.  It's pretty easy, even on busy days, to find a space on one of the upper levels near an elevator or escalator.  Then it's just a matter of descending to the ground level, and your are right in Disney Springs.  There can be some long walks in Disney Springs, but that's up to you- it's not a long walk from the parking areas to Disney Springs.

TCD

We have visited once without my Mom and used the garage.  You are correct that it is a short walk out of the garage, but my sense of direction is abysmal, so I think we walked much further than necessary to reach our desired destination.  We generally go to visit Goofy's Candy Company, Lego, and the Christmas Shoppe and I am pretty sure that I walked in the exact wrong direction after "reading" the map.  Then we became distracted by the Archimedes Screw and lost all of our bearings.  We will be going again in our upcoming trip, so we will give the garages another shot before opting out. 

7 minutes ago, kadancer said:

We have visited once without my Mom and used the garage.  You are correct that it is a short walk out of the garage, but my sense of direction is abysmal, so I think we walked much further than necessary to reach our desired destination.  We generally go to visit Goofy's Candy Company, Lego, and the Christmas Shoppe and I am pretty sure that I walked in the exact wrong direction after "reading" the map.  Then we became distracted by the Archimedes Screw and lost all of our bearings.  We will be going again in our upcoming trip, so we will give the garages another shot before opting out. 

Don't feel bad- I still can't find my way around Disney Springs either- I always ask one of my daughters where I should park, and what route I should take after I emerge from the garage.

All of the locations you named are in the Marketplace area, so take a look at the map above, and you'd want to park in the Lime garage, making sure to drive all the way to the side closest to the Marketplace.  That would minimize your walking.

Also, in my experience, the bus service to Disney Springs is much better and quicker than it used to be, and the buses use a central drop-off for arriving passengers which is a short walk from the stores.

TCD

8 hours ago, Travisma said:

They do for Taxi's, limos and DVC tours.  I took the DVC tour and we got dropped off right at the front.  It was awesomesauce!

I know in the beginning of this thread several of you were saying that the $10 charge was for the birds.  I listened to "the other side" from my parents.  My dad, who has Type II Diabetes, has deteriorating feet, but refuses to use a scooter.  He loves eating at (he still calls it) Downtown Disney.  They make trips up there at least monthly to have a dinner because they are empty nesters.   He told me he actually appreciated the new system because he can get a closer parking space.  

Now, here is the kicker.  Does he use it?  Nooooooo

He uses the parking garage!!!!!!

7 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Don't feel bad- I still can't find my way around Disney Springs either- I always ask one of my daughters where I should park, and what route I should take after I emerge from the garage.

All of the locations you named are in the Marketplace area, so take a look at the map above, and you'd want to park in the Lime garage, making sure to drive all the way to the side closest to the Marketplace.  That would minimize your walking.

Also, in my experience, the bus service to Disney Springs is much better and quicker than it used to be, and the buses use a central drop-off for arriving passengers which is a short walk from the stores.

TCD

Thanks for the tips.