This was a fun article from Theme Park Tourist, and I never knew the backstories to this group of characters. I copied only the text, check out the link at the end for the full article with photos.

Meet the Sinister 11 of the Haunted Mansion

Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion is filled with chilling characters, but 11 in particular have a special distinction. These characters appear in portraits throughout the ride and are known as “The Sinister 11.” Most, if not all, of these characters were originally slated for changing portraits.

Their original home was the portrait gallery before the library. Since the 2007 “rehaunting” refurbishment, the 11 have relocated. While the majority are in the load and entry area, a few are also scattered throughout the ride, giving avid fans a chance to try their skill at spotting them all.

1. Pied Piper

The Pied Piper is one of the Sinister 11 now seen in the entry and load area. Most people are familiar with the fictional children’s tale of the Pied Piper. This is a darker fairy tale that tells of a piper who was hired to rid a city of rats. Though he successfully led the rats away with his music, the townspeople refused to pay him. In revenge, the piper returned and led the village’s children away with his music, never to be seen again.

This dark character is unsettling enough with it’s inclusion in an attraction that leads children away into its depths. Even more frightening, however, is the fact that the story of the Pied Piper is backed with enough historical accounts to suggest that it is based in truth. It took place in Hamelin, Germany where the street known as Bungelosenstrasse where it purportedly happened still prohibits music and dance.

2. Jack the Ripper

Another entry and load figure, Jack the Ripper, is based entirely in historical fact. Though he remains unidentified, the Ripper was a prolific serial killer believed to be responsible for five or six murders in the East End of London. All were prostitutes and all but one were terribly mutilated. Jack the Ripper’s killing streak took place between August and November of 1888. The Imagineers’ take on the Ripper sports a top hat and carries a knife in his Haunted Mansion likeness.

3. Captain Gore

This entry portrait is often referred to simply as “The Sea Captain,” but his back story is much more elaborate. Captain Bartholomew Gore was originally intended for Master Gracey’s role as the owner of the Haunted Mansion. In this alternate version of the story, Gore is a murderous sea captain who ultimately kills his own wife. Her ghostly visage proceeds to haunt him, and reveal his secrets throughout the mansion tour.

Though the attraction obviously took a very different turn, you can see subtle nods to Captain Gore both in this portrait and in a head stone for Bartholomew Gore in the cemetery.

4. Dracula

One of the easier portraits to identify in the load area, Dracula is a fairly stereotypical version of the famous vampire. Dracula has been so widely used that you can point to several origin stories for the character. His fictional likeness debuted in the 1897 novel by Bram Stoker. Some contend that the vampire was based loosely on Vlad III Dracula, also known as Vlad the Impaler who killed up to 100,000 European civilians in his signature manner.

5. The Witch of Walpurgis

Seen in the load area, the eerie woman holding a black cat is known as the Witch of Walpurgis. Walpurgis Night is a Germanic pagan holiday when it was believed that the devil was abroad and the dead could walk forth. Opposite All Hallows Eve on the calendar, this holiday does have an air similar to Halloween.

The Witch of Walpurgis isn’t based on any one individual, but is rather a witchy representation that Imagineer Marc Davis designed to fall somewhere between cartoon witch and authentic Wiccan. She was originally sketched as a changing portrait in which the witch’s head would transform into a goat’s head, which is another sinister reference to the devil.

6. Rasputin

The unkempt old man you see in the entry and load area is alternately known as The Ogre or Rasputin, depending on who you ask. One blogger contends that the idea for a Rasputin character was nixed by Walt Disney himself, as he was afraid of living relatives having a litigious reaction to the image. However, today’s maids and butlers known the portrait as Rasputin, so the truth remains a bit blurry.

7. Ghost Host

The final Sinister 11 character to appear in the entry and load area is the Ghost Host. This is one of two portraits that you’ll see of your chilling narrator. If you’re interested in putting a face to that haunting voice that acts as your tour guide, here’s your chance. The other portrait is at the end of the corridor of doors before the clock hallway.

8. April to December

At the balcony stairs, you’ll see a portrait of an old woman in a mauve dress. The portrait is still referred to as April to December, though what you’re seeing is just the December version of the women. This was a Marc Davis concept intended for a changing portrait. The portrait began with a lovely “April” woman. It was then meant to change to a slightly older “June” image, a plumper middle-aged “September” image, and finally the old “December” woman.

9. Lizzie Borden’s Parents

Also on the balcony stairs is a portrait that many people simply refer to as “The Couple.” However, this particular couple has a sinister history as the Cast Members tell it. They’re purportedly meant to be Lizzie Borden’s parents. Abby Borden was killed with 19 axe blows, followed by her husband Andrew who took 10 or 11 blows, primarily to the face and head. Their daughter was accused, but never convicted, of the double murder.

10. Medusa

Medusa is the only one of the Sinister 11 to maintain her residence in the portrait gallery. Medusa hails from Greek mythology. She was one of three sisters known as the Gorgons, and the only mortal of the trio. She was once a fair priestess of Athena, but fell in love with Poseidon and abandoned her vows. For this offense, she was transformed into a monster with snakes for hair and a gaze so ferocious it turned onlookers to stone.

11. The Seer

By the last pane of glass in the ballroom, you’ll see a woman with eerie eyes, a black cat, and luminous opera glasses. The presence of those glasses has given her the nickname “Opera Glasses Lady” in many circles. However, this woman doesn’t have anything to do with visiting the opera. She’s a seer who can foretell the future, and her eerie glasses are only meant to emphasize this ability. Many believe that her image inspired the original bride in the attic.

Th Sinister 11 may not occupy their traditional gallery anymore, but they’re still readily visible throughout the mansion for those dedicated fans who are sharp enough to spot them.

http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/32314/meet-sinister-11-haunted-mansion

17 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The author refers to the load area?  I assume that's the room where you are packed into a mob, and have to form a single file line?  There are portraits in there?

Yes there are some in there. Next time you're being elbowed by a group of 12 trying to squeeze past you, look up over the doom buggies - there are some on that wall.  And I think I remember a couple up on the left wall right where the squishing starts.

48 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thanks for posting those photos, Mo.

It's been a long, long time since I have seen that room when I wasn't packed in like a sardine.  I've probably been in there a hundred times and never noticed the portraits.

TCD

That's because your face is buried into someones sweaty back or your getting to know the person behind you in a way you'd rather not....:lol:

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thanks for posting those photos, Mo.

It's been a long, long time since I have seen that room when I wasn't packed in like a sardine.  I've probably been in there a hundred times and never noticed the portraits.

TCD

One day a few years ago during what was the off season, I was off from work.  I drove my wife to work and dropped her off at Disney University, and then headed into the Magic Kingdom just at rope drop.  I went straight to Haunted Mansion.  I was the only guest in the stretching room, and when I left that room, there was nobody in line.  I took my time and got to take a look at those paintings and listen to the audio.  There was nobody around other than a couple of cast members.  I think that was a once in a lifetime event for that ride.

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

One day a few years ago during what was the off season, I was off from work.  I drove my wife to work and dropped her off at Disney University, and then headed into the Magic Kingdom just at rope drop.  I went straight to Haunted Mansion.  I was the only guest in the stretching room, and when I left that room, there was nobody in line.  I took my time and got to take a look at those paintings and listen to the audio.  There was nobody around other than a couple of cast members.  I think that was a once in a lifetime event for that ride.

Very cool!! I still keep waiting to be on the ride when it gets stuck in either the attic or the cemetery so I can get a good look around.  

I've actually ridden HM a bunch of times when it's been pretty empty - although it's usually really really late at night.

Those photos are misleading though. In person it's a LOT darker in the load area.  And if you were just outside in the daylight and your eyes haven't adjusted to the dark completely, you'll barely notice them.