Any suggestions on the best way to prep the front of the 5th wheel, before we hit the road on our trip.  I'd like to find a method, that makes it easier to wash off the bugs...but that doesn't damage the paint job and/our clear coat.  I've read that wiping Pam on the front might help.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Okay...now I'm thinking, maybe just a good wax job??   Does anyone have a good wax on/wax off product that they can recommend.  I'm short on time (my bad), so I don't have 10 hours to do the front of the rig...but would like to put on some sort of protection.

I use wash wax all on ours and it does a good job of making the bugs easy to clean off. For pesky stuck on bugs I take a watered down dryer sheet and rub them off the front cap with that. The dryer sheet leaves a bit of a film on the cap but it's easily cleaned off with a rag or paper towel.

Buy a few rolls of clear contact paper and apply it all over the front.  

Like the tear off covers they use on the windshields of the NASCAR racers.  

When they get full of bugs peel them off and put on a new layer!

Or give the kids brushes and buckets and tell them to earn their keep! :lol:

Try Mcguairs flagship premium wax. Real slick stuff, bugs wash right off my car and truck with it, windshield too. And for washing their gold class car wash is hard to beat. I have a long brush and pole I use to wash.... I've posted about it here before, I'll see if I can dig it up. 

17 hours ago, Travisma said:

Spay on oil like PAM was the go to method for defeating Love Bugs here in FL, but you would still need to was them off as soon as possible because they have something in them that reacts with paint.

A real good coat of a premium wax will help also.

Thank you.

16 hours ago, djsamuel said:

I've used NuFinish with some success.  Easy to apply too.

I'll look that one up.

16 hours ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

I use wash wax all on ours and it does a good job of making the bugs easy to clean off. For pesky stuck on bugs I take a watered down dryer sheet and rub them off the front cap with that. The dryer sheet leaves a bit of a film on the cap but it's easily cleaned off with a rag or paper towel.

I've read about the dryer sheet thing... another person also suggested a product called Bugs-n-All.

14 hours ago, Travisma said:

Buy a few rolls of clear contact paper and apply it all over the front.  

Like the tear off covers they use on the windshields of the NASCAR racers.  

When they get full of bugs peel them off and put on a new layer!

Or give the kids brushes and buckets and tell them to earn their keep! :lol:

See...Tom thought I was silly, to want to buy an industrial roll of Saran Wrap ;):lol:

8 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

Try Mcguairs flagship premium wax. Real slick stuff, bugs wash right off my car and truck with it, windshield too. And for washing their gold class car wash is hard to beat. I have a long brush and pole I use to wash.... I've posted about it here before, I'll see if I can dig it up. 

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Beckers said:

We went to a EMS open house and they had the state police land a helicopter and my kids were fascinated with now many bugs were splattered all over the helicopter, oh and the fact there was barf bags. 

Haha...there you go.  Maybe we'll just count the bugs from state to state :lol:

If you are having issues getting bugs off the paint you can use a product that is sold in Harley shops called S-10. Spray it on and keep it lightly misted/wet for about 10-15 minutes (dont let it dry) and just wipe it off with a sponge when you are done. Quickest way I know of to address cleaning bugs off vs finding a way to pretreat to make them easy to come off.

S-10 is made specifically for this purpose for Harleys and I used to use it all the time to get bugs off of the bike and my cars. It wont damage the finish.

18 hours ago, rtguy007 said:

If you are having issues getting bugs off the paint you can use a product that is sold in Harley shops called S-10. Spray it on and keep it lightly misted/wet for about 10-15 minutes (dont let it dry) and just wipe it off with a sponge when you are done. Quickest way I know of to address cleaning bugs off vs finding a way to pretreat to make them easy to come off.

S-10 is made specifically for this purpose for Harleys and I used to use it all the time to get bugs off of the bike and my cars. It wont damage the finish.

Thanks!  I actually ordered the Bugs-n-All product, but I will keep S-10 in mind!

Nacole, are you planning on carrying a ladder with you so that you can reach the front cap of the 5-er when you have to "de-bug" or are you gonna reach it when the truck is still attached or just backed under the pin box?

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2017 at 0:15 PM, Duane said:

Nacole, are you planning on carrying a ladder with you so that you can reach the front cap of the 5-er when you have to "de-bug" or are you gonna reach it when the truck is still attached or just backed under the pin box?

Hey Duane... sorry, I missed this.  What I ended up doing, was each time I stopped for gas (truck stops), I used the squeegee set out for the semis and wiped off the front cap.  I had to crawl up in the bed to get it all, but it worked.  Not the  prettiest, but it kept the bug debris under control ☺️

3 hours ago, bdm said:

I've always waxed the cap on my 5th, then wash it when i get somewhere with warm water with baking soda.  A good friend of mine does detailing of cars and he told me the baking soda takes the bugs off easier.  seems to work for me. 

Great tip, thank you!