Friends, Looking for Stop Over Points

Ok Friends, this fall will be our 2nd trip to the Orlando area with our camper.  Our previous trip our son was only 1 and would sleep all day in the truck.  Now that hes going to be 3 we are not so lucky.  On our first trip down we drove from Cincinnati area to south of Atlanta and it was about 12 hour on the road (9:30 of driving time).  

We are looking to stop just north of Atlanta for our first over night, then about 2 hours north of the Fort on our 2nd night.  We would like a camp ground with at least a play ground, as we will be traveling with a 3 year old, and possible, a 5 1/2 year old.  A pull through is preferred but not required.  

Ok friends lets tap in to your knowledge base and help me make the family happy.

I don't know about "just" North of Atlanta, but there is a campground just North of the GA border (Exit 1, I think) called  Holiday Trav-L Park.

http://chattacamp.com/

Nice pull throughs, and clean

There is also Eagles Roost Campground at Exit 5 in Georgia. VERY nice.

I've used it as an overnight on the way home. I know some others that have used a couple of the campgrounds near Lake City in FL that are pretty decent.

Also, check out KOA for campgrounds along I-75. They may be a bit more money, but you usually know what you get. Easy pull throughs and easy on-off the interstate. Although avoid the KOA at Exit 60 in Georgia....... shouldn't be a KOA!!

Also at exit 350 in GA is Battleground CG (former KOA) 5 miles South of GA TN border.

We've used the KOA in Cartersville (45 min N) definitely make ressie, pull thrus fill fast. there is another CG Atlanta Marietta about 30 min N of Atlantan, but we've neve stayed there.

Near Alachua is High Springs CG, just N of Ganesville about 21/2 hrs away, be sure & call for a ressie here. They have pull thrus they are configured funny, but they work.

For 2 hours north of the Fort, we've stayed at what was called Oaks N' Pines in Lake City. It's now Lake City RV Resort. I don't think it had a playground, though- at least not on the end that we were at (campground map looks like they do not- https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougsetzer/24502952802/in/album-72157663367343970/

http://lakecityrvresort.com/

I only have 1 picture of our site, but it's not a good one because we had pulled in backwards to be facing friends.

24355392990_11bc4d21bc.jpg

3 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

As previously stated, the Best Holiday Trav-L-Park south of Chattanooga is good, but if you want to push a bit closer to Atlanta, I recommend the Harvest Moon RV park in Adairsville, at exit 306.  Nice easy overnight spot.  

Funny Story about that Harvest Moon RV park.  Last winter on our way home from Orlando area in January we were towing the camper north and the one big snow storm of the winter hit.  We pulled off that exit and into the Hampton Inn.  The person working the front desk new someone at the flooring company next door and got the OK for us to park the truck and camper in their lot over night so we didn't have to maneuver it through the hotel lot the next morning.  

Thx for all of the great suggestions.  Leaning towards Best Holiday that would put us traveling about 7-8 hours and then the next day have another 6-7 hours travel to be about an hour or so north of the fort.

10 minutes ago, bdm said:

Thx for all of the great suggestions.  Leaning towards Best Holiday that would put us traveling about 7-8 hours and then the next day have another 6-7 hours travel to be about an hour or so north of the fort.

Your almost 575 miles from the FT at that point, plus you have to go through Atlanta. Don't think you'll do 500 miles in 7 hrs. 

2 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Your almost 575 miles from the FT at that point, plus you have to go through Atlanta. Don't think you'll do 500 miles in 7 hrs. 

We are looking to stay at Casey Jones Campground in Lake City Fl on our 2nd night (399 miles) then drive into the fort the next morning.  Google says its 5:41 so I figure its 6:30 driving add an hour / hour and half for lunch and other stops.  That will leave us just over 150 miles on our arrival day?

46 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

That's about right, but you said an hr from the FORT on the last day that is why I commented.  

Ahh yeah, sorry about that.  On arrival day we just want a short drive in to the fort. 

I have a smartphone app called RV Parky that is very useful in situations like yours. It's free for either Android or iPhone. Check it out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

On 6/10/2017 at 11:28 AM, ceemike...Mike & Judy said:

I have a smartphone app called RV Parky that is very useful in situations like yours. It's free for either Android or iPhone. Check it out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have the same app, was looking for some 1st hand experience / advice 

On 6/12/2017 at 3:53 PM, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

Curious, on the way home will you just do the reverse and leave the Fort late?

Yes we will leave the fort around 1 or 2 drive north to just about the Fl Ga boarder and camp.  Then usually go hard the 2nd day since everyone will sleep well after a long vacation and then have a shot trip home.