Using Meal Delivery Services at the Fort?

Has anyone ever had any of the meal delivery services (Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, etc.) delivered to the Fort?

This probably sounds wacky, but we're trying to find ways to extend our fall trip, which for us means cutting our dining out food budget to pay for the extra time. We're A-OK with that and I don't mind cooking, but we are trying to find a good way to do it without having to run to the market every few days, stock a ton of food in the camper (our freezer will be full of dog food) and actually eat something fairly healthy that's not burgers and hot dogs for a month.

I had a thought yesterday that we could probably snag some discounts (Groupon, trial offers, etc.) on some of the meal delivery services that would fit the bill for a few weeks. It would be good, fresh food, with everything we need to prepare it (so no need for a fully stocked pantry) and also help us keep the food budget down.  And we can just cancel it when we leave.  Wondering if anyone has tried this?

25 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Has anyone ever had any of the meal delivery services (Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, etc.) delivered to the Fort?

This probably sounds wacky, but we're trying to find ways to extend our fall trip, which for us means cutting our dining out food budget to pay for the extra time. We're A-OK with that and I don't mind cooking, but we are trying to find a good way to do it without having to run to the market every few days, stock a ton of food in the camper (our freezer will be full of dog food) and actually eat something fairly healthy that's not burgers and hot dogs for a month.

I had a thought yesterday that we could probably snag some discounts (Groupon, trial offers, etc.) on some of the meal delivery services that would fit the bill for a few weeks. It would be good, fresh food, with everything we need to prepare it (so no need for a fully stocked pantry) and also help us keep the food budget down.  And we can just cancel it when we leave.  Wondering if anyone has tried this?

Good idea.   I've never used any of those services but i have used GARDEN grocer and gadawgfan (kelly) uses a different srgicenbut we've both had good experiences with them. It's not the same as the meal delivery companies to eat.  but it would save you money on going out to eat. And you can have them make a delivery when you gr there and then again half way thru your trip. 

19 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Good idea.   I've never used any of those services but i have used GARDEN grocer and gadawgfan (kelly) uses a different srgicenbut we've both had good experiences with them. It's not the same as the meal delivery companies to eat.  but it would save you money on going out to eat. And you can have them make a delivery when you gr there and then again half way thru your trip. 

We may end up using one of those services too. Even if we go with a meal delivery service, that's typically only for 3 meals a week, so we'd need to fill the gaps.  And while I don't mind cooking, I really want to avoid having to make a run to the market every week if I can.  Especially since I'm probably going to be working some of the time we're there, and if I send DH out to do the shopping, he'll come home with bags full of Doritos and Chips Ahoy.  LOL

How about a portable auxiliary freezer, that could be dedicated to frozen meals in ziploc bags that you make in the month or so ahead of your trip?  Grab a bag, toss it in the crockpot in the morning, and there is dinner.  Chili, soups, chicken and gravy, whatever.  I hesitate making this next comment for fear of sending your thread off the rails, but Larry always did that.  In your case, considering you have your primary freezer full of dog food, it's not a terrible idea, and if you can find a decent deal on a freezer is still probably cheaper than a meal delivery service.  

27 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

How about a portable auxiliary freezer, that could be dedicated to frozen meals in ziploc bags that you make in the month or so ahead of your trip?  

That option is on the table too (it's a pretty good idea, even if it was a Larry thing LOL).  The logistics might be a little tough, but DH swears we could pack it somewhere.  

If we did that I'd probably rely on a grocery delivery service for fresh produce. 

The appealing thing with the meal delivery service if we can make it work is that we can probably get a discount or free week trial for a few of them and have it cost us very little.  I'm sitting on a coupon code for Blue Apron right now that would get us 3 meals (for both of us) for only $20.  That and it's 3 days a week I don't have to think/plan a meal for, just open a box and whip up a meal.  :)

We won't need food for every meal, but we're figuring if we at least eat one meal at the camper a day, we should be able to keep to the budget and not feel like we're missing out on "vacation food".

12 minutes ago, ceemike...Mike & Judy said:

Where at the Fort would the meals be delivered, and would the Fort refrigerate the box until you could pick it up?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That might be the kicker - will the services deliver it there to start, since it's not a residential address? (trying to find that info)

Packages in general get delivered to the front desk, but refrigeration shouldn't be a big deal. They're packed to be able to stay cold for a while (you don't need to be home to receive them normally) and as long as it's inside in the a/c, it should be fine until we can pick it up.

I love Hello Fresh and can give you a discount code. The boxes come with ice packs, so as long as you pick it up the day it's delivered, you'll be good.

We also use wegoshop.com and love it.

Instacart just started delivering in the area as well. There's a discount code for free unlimited deliveries for a month. That could be a great solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll look around but somewhere there is a review of comparing the different meal services because one of the companies is way more labor intensive for meal.

i just door to door Organics. Today is my first delivery, I'm getting just produce. I had an offer so it's cheap for my first delivery.

3 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

I love Hello Fresh and can give you a discount code. The boxes come with ice packs, so as long as you pick it up the day it's delivered, you'll be good.

We also use wegoshop.com and love it.

Instacart just started delivering in the area as well. There's a discount code for free unlimited deliveries for a month. That could be a great solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great info - thanks!  And I'll hit you up for that discount code if we decide to do it.

3 hours ago, Beckers said:

I'll look around but somewhere there is a review of comparing the different meal services because one of the companies is way more labor intensive for meal.

i just door to door Organics. Today is my first delivery, I'm getting just produce. I had an offer so it's cheap for my first delivery.

A review comparing them would be great!  I am still going to be on vacation after all, and since I'll be working some of the time I'm there, I'm not looking to spend all my free time cooking. 

Let me know what you think of Door to Door Organics. I'll take all the info on all the plans I can get.  :)

Here's the other thing with this cunning plan (if it works) - if we end up using a few different services to take advantage of first time order offers, it gives us a good chance to try them out and compare. Who knows, maybe we'll get hooked and continue it when we get home.  

6 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

How about a portable auxiliary freezer, that could be dedicated to frozen meals in ziploc bags that you make in the month or so ahead of your trip?  Grab a bag, toss it in the crockpot in the morning, and there is dinner.  Chili, soups, chicken and gravy, whatever.  I hesitate making this next comment for fear of sending your thread off the rails, but Larry always did that.  In your case, considering you have your primary freezer full of dog food, it's not a terrible idea, and if you can find a decent deal on a freezer is still probably cheaper than a meal delivery service.  

That might work for those of you with your spacious house on wheels and oodles and boodles of space. :P For the rest of us with tiny houses we have to share with the spouse it would be great to not have to leave the property for that meal or two that won't fit in the builtin freezer (need to give the wife all of the space she wants).

7 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

How about a portable auxiliary freezer, that could be dedicated to frozen meals in ziploc bags that you make in the month or so ahead of your trip?  

These aren't cheap, but we've got the NORCOLD version that we bought in 1977 and it's still going strong. You can get bigger ones too. They aren't much bigger than a cooler

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01J165FVC/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1497306084&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ac%2Fdc+chest+freezer

I have a very simple solution. You just bring me along. When you need groceries, you give me the keys to your truck, a list of what you need me to purchase, and your credit card. I will go shopping for you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

These aren't cheap, but we've got the NORCOLD version that we bought in 1977 and it's still going strong. You can get bigger ones too. They aren't much bigger than a cooler

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01J165FVC/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1497306084&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ac%2Fdc+chest+freezer

I think DIT was talking about buying an inexpensive chest type freezer off of Craigslist. Something you could put easily in the back of a pickup and plug in outside.  I've got two of them for sale for $60 & $75.  Then when done just leave it at the fort. 

Just now, h2odivers...Ray said:

I think DIT was talking about buying an inexpensive chest type freezer off of Craigslist. Something you could put easily in the back of a pickup and plug in outside.  I've got two of them for sale for $60 & $75.  Then when done just leave it at the fort. 

That just gave me an idea.   Isn't there a Facebook group that does the fridge exchange?  Maybe someone has a freezer you could use. 

28 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

That just gave me an idea.   Isn't there a Facebook group that does the fridge exchange?  Maybe someone has a freezer you could use. 

On that note, there is a new trip report from a newbie who shared that she had rented a propane grill to use at the Fort from some company I had never heard of.  The report is here:

The rental company is an outfit called Derenter.  I checked out their site, and in addition to grills and other stuff, they have a chest freezer that they rent out (they deliver) : https://www.derenter.com/categories.php?category_id=4

It's not cheap, but it might work for a longer trip.  It would certainly save money over eating out in the long run.

TCD

11 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

I have a very simple solution. You just bring me along. When you need groceries, you give me the keys to your truck, a list of what you need me to purchase, and your credit card. I will go shopping for you.

I've always said you're a genius Yvonne!  :)

3 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Would the delivery of the meals to the Fort be charged a extra fee from Disney as at one time there was a discussion they were starting to charge to accept delivery's?

Good question!  And something I'd need to factor in if we try this.

55 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Ooh!  Also a good idea to look into.

29 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

On that note, there is a new trip report from a newbie who shared that she had rented a propane grill to use at the Fort from some company I had never heard of.  The report is here:

The rental company is an outfit called Derenter.  I checked out their site, and in addition to grills and other stuff, they have a chest freezer that they rent out (they deliver) : https://www.derenter.com/categories.php?category_id=4

It's not cheap, but it might work for a longer trip.  It would certainly save money over eating out in the long run.

TCD

Thanks TCD I'll check it out!

14 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Publix uses Shipt and Instacart.  And in Tampa Shipt is also delivering from Costco.

Good to know, thanks!

27 minutes ago, PureTcrazy...rita said:

Or you could access the local Ed delivery service, it's free, or enjoy a meal at the local Rita's eatery! We have a chest freezer, it usually has room in it.

Hey Mo....a word of advice if utilizing these services.  Request some biscuits, Registers sausage and Tupelo honey.  Trust me on that.  

1 hour ago, PureTcrazy...rita said:

Or you could access the local Ed delivery service, it's free, or enjoy a meal at the local Rita's eatery! We have a chest freezer, it usually has room in it.

Definitely need to add those to my list!  :wub:

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

Hey Mo....a word of advice if utilizing these services.  Request some biscuits, Registers sausage and Tupelo honey.  Trust me on that.  

Roger that!!!

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

Not a bad idea. I was curious so I checked it out for you Mo. 

Freezer rental is 1-3 days is $100 and each additional day is $10. But maybe you could workout a weekly + rate.