Any advice on Cedar Point?

We'll be there only one day and it's a day that's going to be very crowded, I'm sure.  Three teens who love roller coasters and two adults who don't.  Priorities for the coaster lovers? Best things for the non-coaster people to do?  Is the water park worth it (wondering if the adults should go to the water park while the teens do the regular park). 

Great park and coasters, with only one day and a busy one I would think they should pick which coaster they might to ride the most and start with that one, they do offer a fast pass type thing but at a extra cost. Water park is much like all others but probably more relaxing then the amusement park, you might be able to just chill on the beach but from the parking lots might be a long walk. You can park near the waterpark and there is also a theme park entrance in the back of the park so might be closer to bath parks and the beach area there.

On 6/17/2017 at 7:35 AM, dblr....Rennie said:

Great park and coasters, with only one day and a busy one I would think they should pick which coaster they might to ride the most and start with that one, they do offer a fast pass type thing but at a extra cost. Water park is much like all others but probably more relaxing then the amusement park, you might be able to just chill on the beach but from the parking lots might be a long walk. You can park near the waterpark and there is also a theme park entrance in the back of the park so might be closer to bath parks and the beach area there.

Thanks for the advice! I just looked at Street View on Google Maps so I saw the parking lot you're referring to back by the waterpark.  That looks like a good idea. My boys will probably want to go from opening to close but that looks like way we can take a break while they ride. I can't believe how close it is to the lake.

I did a one day hop though there the weekend before they closed last October. We arrived late on a Friday night and stayed at the RV park just down the block. Spent all Saturday in the park. They also had a Halloween event going on and did some of the houses, but when you have Universal Halloween Horror night so close by, the houses were a disappointment. Let me tell you, riding coasters in 43 degrees when you are from South Florida is interesting. We did the express pass (forgot the actual name) and were able to ride most all of the coasters. Would not have been able to without the pass. Make sure you do Top Thrill Dragster.

Just a note, no Uber around there. There is like a jitney taxi van but we had to wait 45 minutes at the end of the night to get picked up and go back to the RV park. Overall we had a blast.

If the non-coaster riders go into the park, check out the racing carousel!   This is a carousel about twice the size of any you are used to.  You can fit a smaller carousel into the middle of this thing.    The horses hold 2 riders each, and they go back and forth in about a 4 foot long track, as well as  up and down.   No slacking on this ride, you have to hang on or you'll be flung off due to centripetal force.  I love coasters.. but I am a carousel junkie, they hold a special place in my heart.    I rode this carousel 4 times the first day and 6 times the second.  

I interned at Cedar Point and lived there for 5 months. There will be plenty to do for everyone in the family. The shows are great, tons of flat rides, and the water park was just expanded and is gorgeous! There is also free access to their beach if you'd enjoy the stroll. For coasters, definitely hit Rugaru, Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Raptor. Feel free to send me a message with any other questions!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On 6/19/2017 at 2:50 PM, fotofx....Steve said:

I did a one day hop though there the weekend before they closed last October. We arrived late on a Friday night and stayed at the RV park just down the block. Spent all Saturday in the park. They also had a Halloween event going on and did some of the houses, but when you have Universal Halloween Horror night so close by, the houses were a disappointment. Let me tell you, riding coasters in 43 degrees when you are from South Florida is interesting. We did the express pass (forgot the actual name) and were able to ride most all of the coasters. Would not have been able to without the pass. Make sure you do Top Thrill Dragster.

Just a note, no Uber around there. There is like a jitney taxi van but we had to wait 45 minutes at the end of the night to get picked up and go back to the RV park. Overall we had a blast.

Well, I won't be doing something called Top Thrill Dragster, but I will pass that info along to my thrill seeker sons. Thanks. 43 degrees sounds a little too cold for racing through the air.

9 hours ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

If the non-coaster riders go into the park, check out the racing carousel!   This is a carousel about twice the size of any you are used to.  You can fit a smaller carousel into the middle of this thing.    The horses hold 2 riders each, and they go back and forth in about a 4 foot long track, as well as  up and down.   No slacking on this ride, you have to hang on or you'll be flung off due to centripetal force.  I love coasters.. but I am a carousel junkie, they hold a special place in my heart.    I rode this carousel 4 times the first day and 6 times the second.  

That sounds like fun! I will definitely check it out. I can do centripetal force (I know that, because I just looked up what it is), I just can't do heights, drops, rapid acceleration or enclosed spaces. 

4 hours ago, disneygeek87 said:

I interned at Cedar Point and lived there for 5 months. There will be plenty to do for everyone in the family. The shows are great, tons of flat rides, and the water park was just expanded and is gorgeous! There is also free access to their beach if you'd enjoy the stroll. For coasters, definitely hit Rugaru, Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Raptor. Feel free to send me a message with any other questions!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks! I hadn't really looked at all the rides (saving that for the long car trip) but it's good to know there will be something for me too. I can easily spend some time walking the beach too. I didn't realize there was a beach. My oldest son has talked about Cedar Point for years and since he just graduated from high school and we're going to be in the relative vicinity I thought we should go. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just following up to say that we had a very nice day at Cedar Point. We ended up staying in one of the onsite cabins in what we called "the Fort Wilderness of Cedar Point" even though it really wasn't. But a nice RV park with cottages, cabins and deluxe cabins for those without RVs. Staying onsite meant we could walk to the parks and beach and the big hotel with the evil coffee shop, and also back to the cabin for a break. It also gave us an hour early entry for select coasters.  And we watched fireworks on the beach the night we arrived since it was July 4th. 

My boys went basically 9 am early open to 10 pm+ close and rode all the big coasters/things that lift you into the air and drop you/things that fling you in all directions, including some several times. Only one coaster was closed for the day. I think their longest wait was 1.5 hours but most were much shorter.   I went on all three merry go rounds, bumper cars, train, saw three shows, and spent time people watching. The park is huge. They also have a petting zoo, with camels!, and an interesting (to me) museum about the park.  The ticket we got as part of a package was for the theme park and water park at basically the theme park price, but only my twins went to the water park for an hour or so and thought it was pretty good.

My only negative issue is that at the end of the day they had a very loud, chaotic music / dance / lightshow performance followed by a very loud "dance party" with a DJ. My kids and husband stayed to watch the dance party but I wanted to walk back to the cabin because I was beyond tired and had a loud music headache. I'd gotten turned around and thought I was going to the exit but ended up deep in the dark and almost empty park. Several employees were hurrying by in "we're off work" mode and I asked about the exit but I don't think they understood English too well.  I'm sure I wouldn't have spent the night in the park and I ended up retracing my steps to pass my family again -- "we wondered why you went that direction!" (they are so helpful).  But I kept asking "where are the people with the giant Mickey hands showing me the way out"??

Cedar Point does hire a lot of folks from other counties so a language barrier might happen, they even have dorm style housing for them. You sometimes will see bus loads out at the Walmart and other stores stocking up on supplies they need or want. Cedar Point is a very nice park but all the Cedar Fair parks are not run as well, last year we were disappointed in the way Worlds of Fun was operated.