Legoland Beach Retreat

Not Disney this time, but thought people might find this interesting.

A bit of back story I live in Bradenton so normally I'd do Legoland in a day, since it's only 90 minutes away.

However 3 weeks ago my father in law ended up in hospital and for various reasons the closest hospital that would take him was Lake Wales. This is almost two hours depending on the traffic and the at least the route my GPS took me was very tiring to drive on the way back after visiting him in the evening. In total a trip to see him would mean 5 hours out of the house for about 20 minutes actual visiting. My wife was trying to do this every other day. Three weeks ago my folks where visiting and watched the kids a couple of times so we could both go and split the driving. The following week was tough so I looked for hotels near the hospital and the closest one I'd want to spend any time in with my kids was Legoland about 20 minutes away. We'd been discussing doing Legoland at some point and the Beach Club resort had just opened two months ago so I booked that for the night last Friday. Planning that we could go up and my wife could fit in visits Friday and Sat without much driving.

For those that don't know the Beach Retreat is Legoland Florida's second accomadation offering after the hotel and the first Legoland park globally to have more than one resort. I'd stayed in the Lego Hotel at Legoland Windsor a number of years ago so have some comparison to the hotel, from what I've seen it's the hotels are about the same in either location. The Beach Retreat is across the road from Legoland, literally. It's designed to resemble a beach resort and consists of duplex family villas, arranged in loops or coves with a small playground at the center of each loop. The coves are arranged around a lighthouse complex which houses the pool, bar, restaurant etc. That's about as much as I knew when I booked, and there just isn't the depth if knowledged online the way there is for Disney.

Prices of the day tickets for Legoland are about the same as the pass for FL residents, so I got us passes and booked the resort for the Friday night. A lot cheaper than the hotel, although the website really wants you to buy park tickets, took a while to find the right link. No discount with the pass at that level (more on this later). We did consider trying to add the Saturday night, we didn't in the end but slightly irratated you couldn't manage the booking online. I did book a smores kit with the room.

Ok more to come with photos later.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We got 3 awesome passes and 1 Awesomer pass (mine). Upgraded mine for the 10% discount and the free parking. Didn't seem much point upgrading more than one, no black out dates.

a33c310b1f56a84b32b3882e4215e4b6.jpg

We got there about 5 on the Friday, check-in was from 4 which is a shame, as I would have liked to drive there at lunch and worked there remotely for the afternoon while the wife and kids did the park.

Anyway check-in is drive through like the fort, the difference being there is no outpost drive through is all there is.

1ec82249dd26ab2b0b4bedf6440e6179.jpg

Photo is from the resort side of the check in but you get the idea, check in a little slow but no complications. There is a parking lot either side of check in that bends round. We were to the left. Short walk to the villa, may bring my folding wagon if we do this again, saw a few people doing that. We were in lifeguard cove. They all face inwards around a small play area so nice and safe but no direct access by car.

8621993c2ae77dbd6046b4eb8e62702b.jpg

4a10ff61db7829541aacd7eb54233465.jpg

My kids declared they looked like Lego, um brightly painted breeze blocks. Themeing was good for the Lego beach theme though. Kids room was behind the curtain which I like. They had bunks and there was also a trundle so sleeps up to five. There is a small fridge in the cupboard to the right under the TV. Juice and water was provided in the room. There was an ice machine over by outside of the restaunts, but we didn't need it.

670ead3cc8f5ebaff477e4861f6c8629.jpg

b50f74ffa44895b343f3690e45edb6fd.jpg

75d96e34913f6c9f4b22c1006751f87a.jpg

af199d87cbbf784ec0c2dcfa6ec4c2b2.jpg

7f95c473d12f2c9e76153560ed5e45a9.jpg

Headed to dinner once the kids had checked out the room. I convinced them to sit at the table long enough to decide what they were eating before playing with the giant Lego sand castle.

259fd4fd1090cd309e8f29a09d171854.jpg

Not great at food photos I get too busy eating. Fish Tacos were nice.

73b58951552792c99b9c4262e5edb5a8.jpg

215f660a352b478c4a06baafbf7f4b0c.jpg

They do a buffet for dinner but I think maybe only at weekends, this was actually the bar menu. Restaurant is open for breakfast and dinner but closed at lunch although the bar is open.

adcd9e8390f2ea140fc2e02346fd8866.jpg

This is the treasure chest dessert special, I had a small tub if ice cream. My wife unfortunately left before this to go and see her Dad.

44dad7b0bf32c4c489471c783308a066.jpg

We took a walk back after a bit more lego play via the big poolside playground and sand area.

fa5056ddedee3fc64703faeeb790bbf5.jpg

Changed and back to the pool with a stop at the shop to buy my son swim shorts that actually fit, his new shorts were on a 7 hanger but actually a 5 oops.

55ac1cecaa7f317bbbcf24f7c34ec6ce.jpg

f43e90e5986959fef49b1746bafc5d9a.jpg

Pool had floating Lego bricks.

Lots of activities on.

6408c5ed9f767e607f02de2a6254a9e9.jpg

Kids weren't that interested in games until after they had done some swimming. Then almost at the same time my son decided he wanted to do the dance party and my daughter wanted to do smores. Plenty of life guards so probably not as much an issue as it seemed, I joined in the first dance to get my son started and left him to it. Lined up and collected my smores kit from the bar. Despite prepaying still had to collect. Will get it on the way in next time.

No option to buy smores supplies separately like the fort, this was $10. Never bought the kit at the fort so can't compare.

Doesn't include the stick you just use their toasting forks. The fire pit is gas so no burn ban issues.

d9c64501213d2b92ebf389ac6daf6016.jpg

dafe60e7d065ccad336226c610a73888.jpg

My wife arrived back around this time and joined us, which for me proved that the trip was worth it. Had she'd driven up herself she'd had left before dinner and been back long after they were in bed.

I did get told I should have taken photos of the dance party, two children different directions and a pool in the middle isn't the best environment for taking photos from my phone.

Next was lighting the light house by 'kid power' my son did say afterwards he thought what really happened was someone pulled a swicht.

2d02aeb45d0e80215524224add7f6cf8.jpg

I stopped at the pool side bar window on the way back to the room to grab snacks, and since I was there a beer.

152541844e503aad924c1d2aadc3906a.jpg

Was nice sitting on the porch once the kids were down. One of the reasons I preferred this to the much more expensive hotel. Reminded me a bit of the fort from that regard nice and relaxed.

We got 3 awesome passes and 1 Awesomer pass (mine). Upgraded mine for the 10% discount and the free parking. Didn't seem much point upgrading more than one, no black out dates.

Slices, the Awesomer pass gets you free entrance to the Orlando Eye, Madame Tussands, and the Orlando Aquarium, plus the Lego Discovery Center in Atlanta.  That's why we opted for those instead of the Awesome Pass.

Yep I know, doubt I'd be doing any of the other attractions. I've done madam Tussauds in London and various Sea Life centers before.

Agree it's not Disney, I did Legoland Windsor before Disney so had an idea what to expect. Maybe a little less over whelming for young kids, if Disney is Magic then Legoland is more of a safe happy place especially for those with autisium.

Did they offer master builder classes at the beach retreat or did you have to go over to the hotel?

I'm glad you are doing this report (but sorryfor your circumstances of staying there!). We did Legoland in January and stayed at the hotel and my kids are itching to go back. We got passes during their Brick Friday sale so we got the awesomer level. It worked out cheaper than 2 days at Disney plus we did the Orlando Eye and Sea Life.

What I posted above is pretty much it for activities, no master classes not sure if we could have joined the ones at the hotel or not. I don't remember them being offered at Windsor either although something my kids would love I'm sure, the price difference between the hotel and this is worth not doing them .

I think my kids were almost happy that their Grandpa is in hospital there if it meant a trip to Legoland. I have stressed we won't normally stay over though.

My son was up early the next morning not a problem he played outside while I had a coffee.

1575dbaae7e20b8a930eaf551c5bfe35.jpg

Legoland news paper waiting for me.

02fd627ec2fbab4dd2e5e0e1e593c455.jpg

Then a walk around while everyone got ready for breakfast.

acae212d7ca78ffdf67957fc8fe69e0d.jpg

Then down to breakfast.

6a6a5cffe9034f90ee5ddce5e6d9b725.jpg

Included in room rate. Buffet breakfast reasonable selection.

cdc37d326b1c4869c06eb487d6aa1e5e.jpg

8bb357b17abafc1a1051d0c96eedb5ea.jpg

Then we loaded up the car and drove over to the park, free parking because we stayed on site although the parking attendant we got was a bit clueless.

Got in Extra Brick time, so 9.30 rather than 10.00 got in the line to pick up the passes. The Kids room in the AP building was good but they needed their photos taken so had to wait.

4357ab8c31a08bd9d2116ab4c1383143.jpg

Then we got the Hero Pass and Legoland dollars for my daughter.

The Hero Pass is their equivalent of a DAS pass, only there's no return time it's straight to front if line. While there's no denying this can be nice. I preferred the DAS system.

The Hero Pass was a bit of paper too big for a lanyard and was only valid for one day. In most cases the entrance for it is the exit which meant we were in the way if people exiting. What I didn't like about it being front if line access was that if my son wanted to repeat the same ride there was nothing stopping him just staying at the exit. I didn't think this fair so wouldn't let me use it for the sane rude twice without a break first. I've done this with the DAS system where I've explained to him that he can get another return time but he won't be able to DAS pass anything in the mean time.

Legoland doesn't do gift cards they do Legoland dollars, Monopoly esq money. Last time we went to Disney we gave my daughter $25 a day on a gift card with the agreement that we'll pay for meals but everything else including most snacks is up to her to budget. Meant I said no a lot less, and she actually looked at price tags. Did the same here with the Lego Land dollars. The shop at the beach retreat does take them but not really worth buying anything there.

27ccd05a56cb4c523b12df8e541901be.jpg

A lot of the stores and the theater doesn't open until 11.00 which is a little annoying.

We walked through miniland.

Kids are now both tall enough to go on most rides by themselves. It says a lot about how it compares to Disney that for the most part I'm happy with this.

Headed to the legotechic roller coaster. I went on once with the kids, they did twice without me.

ad5fb21bfba167b4d3eb37156dd80838.jpg

0ee67d2c63f978784634e7788e724d29.jpg

Then we did the 4D theater which was air conditioned and my wife left to see her Dad. Although not before a snack of apple fries.

b002275eee06aa029ba1b81578880b2a.jpg

9050d0ff3b8f95c81ae4f75129be61bb.jpg

Boating school.

666a087a9f0d9ec342913bd888001480.jpg

Ninjago next, which basically consists of one good rides and things my local park used to have. One of the few rides worth using the hero pass for.

Hot and hungry by this point so off to the innovation center.

af7879674154c12bec29dd7bab0016dc.jpg

Really liked this beyond the fact that they had some neat stuff it was a good place to cool off and my son fekl a lot happier. Despite my issues with the Hero pass I think they do a lot for autistic kids here. If my son gets stressed he can always go and play with Lego.

Had lunch at the panni grill here, not overly impressed. After we ate we went into the game room and played Lego Batman on xboxes etc for a while.

420e6f7d4187a22198f27f018fda9ffe.jpg

Then the Ninjago ride again asked how you were meant to score this time. It's all arm wavey over a sensor, I seem to better on the ones where I can actually aim.

0eb5b3869b05091f3a1e74d6fa2e07fa.jpg

Headed to the Beginning to meet my wife and get slushies. Legoland Windsor does relfiable soda cups, they don't here but they do these Icee things $3.50 for a refill. Got the kids one each, really wish the place selling them opened earlier. We did another 4D show. Before shops and back to the car.

I've got more! This was meant to be it, my wife declared on the way home last week we're not driving that way until at least October.(Maybe a day for brick or treat since we have passes). At that point we were told that my father in law was being transferred to skilled nursing by Monday. We get a call Sunday night saying that wasn't happening as they wouldn't take him. When we eventually get hold of someone who knows what's going on the next day it turns out that things are delayed a bit and its more like Friday. Ok so my wife does a drive up mid week to see him. Friday morning we got a call saying still delayed and would be Monday.

Well we had a plan for that, booked a room at the last minute. I think it was slightly cheaper but no option to prebuy a smores kit. You pick it up at the bar anyway so no advantage in doing so.

Something we'd realized after last week is we actually got the

visiting times for my father in law wrong since he was transferred to a different ward it was actually 8 to 8 and not the more restrictive times.

Got there Friday about 6 as we'd left a but later. Check in a little smoother than last time. Got swimming champion cove this time, which is closer to the pool. Inside near identical to the other one. Similar to the previous week, over to the restaurant.

7173780f93ac4bdeecbc40c3e3c31130.jpg

I went for the Trinidadian Curry, with chicken. Been a while since I've had naan bread in a restaurant was nice. It's not a huge menu and we didn't want to repeat last week.

I remember that they could get drinks from the bar and asked what beer they had, she showed me her cheat sheet. Much prefer this, would rather see a menu.

My son asked if he could have a cheese burger when the kids menu listed hamburger, yep not a problem. The person who seated us recognized us from last week, she thought we'd been there a week which is surprising. Again not Disney.

Was quite impressed that both kids decided that the dessert from last week was too much for them and went for ice cream instead. The waitress said to let them pick from the freezer and she'd just add it to the bill. Nice and relaxed.

250f26ca5a97332792e4c4a7a6d11090.jpg

Again my wife left a little before this. We headed over to the room to change and then to the pool. Bought a smores kit enroute. I spent a little more time sitting in by the pool this time so more photos.

cc8f69a55548ef6a3508d04d424e3044.jpg

No dance party this time, more games and a building competition.

3902a99364b5ec8db6eb94999473d839.jpg

e5c4286c298d39b4a60a4aba730c8710.jpg

My wife joined us for smores.

25ffaf3064d1ce31a7b037ebc7bfc7b0.jpg

Took the kids back to the pool and went to fetch a pizza and drinks.

f04b5a006b63f5e4c0964ebef354ddf0.jpg

ce9c7f0a5c3dce85fb8c60271a4d86f3.jpg

My wife decided to try A Fish in a Bag, which I think is citrus vodak, sprite and a bit if orange.

0d727727f010546b1f933e35f358578c.jpg

A few notes on the last day, he's still in Lake Wales but not doing another weekend there.

Coffee and breakfast much the same as last week.

61142df73e84198a30c94a9ec2dc97bd.jpg

Got more photos in my walk around the lake.

38142791a6b3e905b2f0f3b453455d78.jpg

Breakfast

Rather than leaving mid day my wife drove straight to the hospital and I took the kids on the bus.

0423709b287d6027f61ebe65644b9490.jpg

Interesting to note that the bus doesn't run between 12 and 4 so no comming back for naps.

Got in slightly earlier than last time thanks to the not having to park. Did the same bits at guest services, despite the first 'model citizen' I spoke to being confused by Legoland dollars.

Headed to the photo desk to get the annual photo pass. After last time I looked at the cost of photos and saw online they did a photo pass for $65 for a year, or $50 for a day. Kids watched the opening ceremony from the other side while I did this.

5a8414dce46234860b5c64ff4abf5893.jpg

While I was waiting for the Carsousel someone asked where we are from. There's a number og ways I can answer this but tend to start with England as the that's where the accent is from at least.

In reply she turned to her daughter and said "They are from London, like Peppa Pig", no neither myself nor Peppa Pig are from London.

Did the roller coasters again, didn't go on this time just waited by the photo booth at the exit. Realized I could have gotten the photo pass here and saved a few minutes earlier. Saw a few people with what looked like the daily passes.

Almost 11 so headed back to the stuff that I really wish opened earlier.

Cut through miniland, hadn't seen the star wars models before.

d77a95f0322c420d0421ccd634cf7a7b.jpg

0d79461962c7eb2a070045b5e78da409.jpg

4D show we'd seen before, but who cares it was air conditioned. Got the refillable slushies as soon as it opened. There were some people with cups that looked like they had been rinsed out at this point, so guessing they were bought a previous day. Wasn't sure about doing this but maybe next time.

Killed a bit of time in the duplo area while waiting for my wife. Kids a little big for some things but the farm was fun for a few minutes.

Got a photo with wild style, but I had to take the ticket to the photo desk to get it added to the pass. Not as slick as memory maker. Since we had a few minutes sitting in the shade, I tried to check the photos on the pass. Legoland uses picsolve, a third party service used by someone smaller then parks. Installed the app, logged into my account and scanned in the barcode on my card and I get 90 photos appear. I suspect everyone with an annual photo pass purchased this year shares a pass. I complained at the desk and just got told to delete the extra photos and keep the receipts for the photos do I could re add them if needed.

My wife arrived, having gotten really good parking. After saying she was staying at the beach club they sent her to the hotel lot!

Lunch at the pizza and pasta buffet, reasonable lunch.

My daughter bought herself and her brother ice cream after this, which was nice of her.

Headed for the Ninjago ride but it was closed gue to technical issues.

Started working our way towards the car after this stopping for a few rides.

There's a real mix of newer rides and ones that look like fairground rides with Lego glued on.