Should we delete this duplicate thread?

14 hours ago, Travisma said:

When the Internet first came into public use, it was hailed as a liberation from conformity, a floating world ruled by passion, creativity, innovation and freedom of information. When it was hijacked first by advertising and then by commerce, it seemed like it had been fully co-opted and brought into line with human greed and ambition.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/n/neilstraus531180.html

Okay!

On 7/6/2017 at 9:35 AM, Travisma said:

When the Internet first came into public use, it was hailed as a liberation from conformity, a floating world ruled by passion, creativity, innovation and freedom of information. When it was hijacked first by advertising and then by commerce, it seemed like it had been fully co-opted and brought into line with human greed and ambition.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/n/neilstraus531180.html

I was a company representative to the IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force) for 6 or 7 years in the 90's. The IETF is the body that establishes the standards and protocols used for all the various parts of the Internet (not to be confused with the Worldwide Web which runs on top of the Internet). Anyhow there were many arguments and disagreements between the academic and corporate sides of the house over the corruption commercialization would bring. Although I was a corporate representative I tended to agree with the academic side in many ways. In particular about the longer term social issues it would bring and losing net neutrality as corporate entities took over operation. Obviously neither have been resolved as they are still issues today.