I71 and I75 Through Cincinnati UPDATE 8.22

As many travelers know 75 through Cincinnati has been a headach for about a year as they work on "fixing" the highway as it runs through Cincinnati.  Just as they near completion of that project they have begun work on the 71 / 75 Bridge over the Ohio River.  Its been closed down to 1 lain in both north and south.  Avoid this area at all costs.  On Sunday there were 3 hour delays!

I've attached a map of alternate routs north and south.  

The Blue line represents I 75

The Green Line represents i 71

The Red is the parking lot formerly known as an interstate. 

71.75.jpg

UPDATE

All south bound lanes are now open!!!  There is still some construction happening on 75 north of the bridge but its not to bad and traffic moves well through it.  

North bound lanes are due to be open Saturday Aug 26

7 minutes ago, rtguy007 said:

Bypassing to 471 is a muh easier drive around cinci vs through it. Did it last time on our trip to the fort and I will never drive through downtown cinci again.

They are doing construction north of 471 on 71 and it's a mine field.  Plus all the 75 traffic is being redirected to 471 to 71 to go north.

On 6/28/2017 at 4:28 AM, DaveInTN said:

Not always. They can be spurs into or through a city, especially in situations where the 2 digit interstate doesn't directly access the city.

Sent from my handheld doohickie

Exactly, 565 is a spur off of I-65 that goes directly through the center of Huntsville

• 2 weeks later...

Lesson learned. Read FF even on vacation. I could have saved us over an hour, a heated "discussion" with my husband and an almost burst bladder had I read this before we came through Cincinnati on our way back from Cedar Point last week . My map app was trying to route me to those other routes, but no I wanted to see Cincinnati, and ended up only seeing a a lot of truck exhaust and a frightening gas station restroom. 

On 7/13/2017 at 3:22 PM, Seals said:

Lesson learned. Read FF even on vacation. I could have saved us over an hour, a heated "discussion" with my husband and an almost burst bladder had I read this before we came through Cincinnati on our way back from Cedar Point last week . My map app was trying to route me to those other routes, but no I wanted to see Cincinnati, and ended up only seeing a a lot of truck exhaust and a frightening gas station restroom. 

Sorry you had to suffer.  The view coming from the south into Cincinnati is really great, but not worth the traffic issue..

Current rumor is this construction will last another 2 months. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update on the Bridge Repair project for 71 / 75 in Cincinnati.

They have recently shifted from a single lane, to two lanes are now open.  Problem is its the two outside lanes.  If you are heading north on 71 /75 and wish to continue north on 75 as you approach Cincinnati through what is referred to as "The Cut in the Hill" stay left.  This will allow you to continue north on 75.

Now if you are looking to slit off and go 71 north or any of the downtown exits you'll want to stay in the Right Lane as you enter "The Cut in the Hill"

Its still recommended to travel around the belt way (275) but if you are coming at off peak hours it will cost you about the same amount of time. 

Try to avoid it all weekends as they are doing extra work on weekends.

In my travels yesterday i had to travel north along i75 over the bridge and north of Cincinnati.  All lanes were open and traffic was moving as expected.  There is still a little construction north of Cincinnati but not anything to worry about avoiding.  

Feel free to travel the i71 / i75 interstate system through Cincinnati once again!!