Do you live in one of these states and plan to fly on a plane next year?

http://www.chipandco.com/residents-several-states-will-need-passports-air-travel-2018-273604/

Residents of Several States Will Need Passports for Air Travel in 2018

Beginning on January 22, 2018, if you live in one of these nine states, you will be required to have a passport to fly to Disney or any other domestic locations. The states are:

• Kentucky
  • Maine
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • Washington

The Department of Homeland Security will also allow a Military ID or Permanent Resident Card to pass through TSA checkpoints if you do not already have a passport.

The change for these nine state comes from them not complying with the Real ID Act of 2005. The Act requires states to have driver’s licenses that “verify every ID applicant’s identity, put anti-counterfeit technology in the production of the card and conduct background checks on those who issue driver’s licenses.”

States on this list may be given an extension if they start to change their ID process. As of today, only 24 state are complaint including Washington DC and the rest have been given an extension. By 2020 it will be mandatory for states to have changed their ID processes and be in compliance with the Act,

Signs like this one have started popping up at airports across the country including Orlando International Airport preparing travelers for the change.

1-51.jpg DHS

photos and article credit: chipandco.com and Holly R.

NC has already changed the look for their drivers licenses to begin alignment for this new program.  There was an insert placed in with my license plate renewal notice that detailed the new "Real ID" that they will begin to make available in the near future.  Although it will not be a requirement to get the Real ID, if a person wants that designation, which amounts to nothing more than a gold star placed in the upper right corner of the drivers license, they have to provide some additional documents that prove who they say they are...

PA has said they will be in compliance.  Actually, that already are but the Feds say no.  We will have to get new drivers licenses.   Another way to tax without actually raising taxes.

8 hours ago, AuburnJen said:

http://www.chipandco.com/residents-several-states-will-need-passports-air-travel-2018-273604/

Residents of Several States Will Need Passports for Air Travel in 2018

Beginning on January 22, 2018, if you live in one of these nine states, you will be required to have a passport to fly to Disney or any other domestic locations. The states are:

• Kentucky
  • Maine
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • Washington

The Department of Homeland Security will also allow a Military ID or Permanent Resident Card to pass through TSA checkpoints if you do not already have a passport.

The change for these nine state comes from them not complying with the Real ID Act of 2005. The Act requires states to have driver’s licenses that “verify every ID applicant’s identity, put anti-counterfeit technology in the production of the card and conduct background checks on those who issue driver’s licenses.”

States on this list may be given an extension if they start to change their ID process. As of today, only 24 state are complaint including Washington DC and the rest have been given an extension. By 2020 it will be mandatory for states to have changed their ID processes and be in compliance with the Act,

Signs like this one have started popping up at airports across the country including Orlando International Airport preparing travelers for the change.

1-51.jpg DHS

photos and article credit: chipandco.com and Holly R.

Next step micro chipping!

FL has had this for a while.  When you do your first renewal under the new system, you need to take all kinds of ID with you.

If this were the debate board I would make a comment about voter id's.  But it's not.  So I won't.  Because that's the way I fly.

6 hours ago, Duane said:

NC has already changed the look for their drivers licenses to begin alignment for this new program.  There was an insert placed in with my license plate renewal notice that detailed the new "Real ID" that they will begin to make available in the near future.  Although it will not be a requirement to get the Real ID, if a person wants that designation, which amounts to nothing more than a gold star placed in the upper right corner of the drivers license, they have to provide some additional documents that prove who they say they are...

You beat me to it.

I was just at a South Carolina DMV office an hour ago and saw a poster listing documents needed to get ready for the change to REAL ID. I said out loud that I thought SC wasn't doing REAL ID. Seeing this post I just looked it up. Like all good SC laws, they make sure to emphasize that you don't HAVE to comply. 

Beginning Monday, May 15, 2017, South Carolina citizens who are interested in getting a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or identification card, in the future, may bring their identity documents to the SCDMV. If you received your first-ever SC license or ID during or after November 2010, you do not have to bring your documents. If you have a valid US Passport or military ID, you do not need to get a REAL ID-compliant card. You do not need a REAL ID to drive, vote, access hospitals, receive federal benefits, enter a non-secure federal building, or participate in law enforcement proceedings.

The state was authorized to begin working towards full compliance and implementation of the federal REAL ID Act of 2005 upon Governor Henry McMaster’s signature of House Bill 3358 in early April.

If you choose to bring your documents to the SCDMV early, you may be able to order a REAL ID-compliant license online in the future.

REAL ID cards are not available at this time. They will not be available until late 2017 or early 2018.

You do not need a REAL ID-compliant license or ID to do any of the following:

• Drive
    You must have a valid driver's license to drive whether it is REAL ID-compliant or not REAL ID-compliant. 
  • Vote
  • Apply for or receive federal benefits for which you’re entitled (Veterans Affairs, Social Security Administration, etc.)
  • Enter a federal facility that does not require an ID (i.e. a post office)
  • Access a hospital or receive life-saving services
  • Participate in law enforcement proceedings or investigations (serve on a federal jury, testify in federal court, etc.)

If interested in a REAL ID-compliant card, begin gathering your documents and bring them to an SCDMV branch, but there are four important things to remember:

• Changing your current SC license or ID to a REAL ID-compliant card is optional and voluntary. If you feel you will not be boarding a commercial flight, visiting a secure federal building, or a military base, you do not need a REAL ID-compliant license or ID.
  • If you have a valid US Passport/Passport Card, military ID, or another federally approved identification, you may use that as your form of identification to board a commercial flight or visit a secure federal building or military base, but you must carry it with you for the above activities.
  • On and after October 1, 2020, you must have some form of a federally approved identification (whether that is a REAL ID-compliant SC license or ID, US Passport/Passport Card, or another federally approved identification) to board a commercial flight, even within the US, or visit a secure federal facility.
  • The SCDMV website, www.scdmvonline.com, provides real-time access to wait times at each of the agency’s branch offices. You’re encouraged to use this feature if you decide to bring documents to a branch office. It is suggested you visit a branch office when the wait times are 30 minutes or less.

I got my passport in college and have kept it current since.  I am so glad I did.  Also, from what I have seen on the news there was an airline (JetBlue) that is using retina scans for check in now.  It is connected (or will be) to your passport.  Apparently Delta is also testing the system as well.

51 minutes ago, Travisma said:

For a cruise, do you need a passport now, or just a Real ID?

For Bahamas and many Caribbean itineraries, if the cruise begins and ends in the same US port, you do not need a passport, but you do need a birth certificate in addition to your drivers license.  I don't think having a license from a Real ID state precludes the birth certificate from being required.  

For cruises to other destinations, or ones that aren't closed loop cruises to/from the US, I think a passport is required.  We use our passports regardless, because even if your cruise begins and ends in the US, if you have a medical emergency in a foreign country and need to be airlifted back to the states, not having a passport can cause issues.  Not worth the risk to me.  

I was very worried about this a fwe weeks ago.  I am planning to visit my son for his AIT (Advanced Individual Training) graduation at Fort Sam Houston next month.  Up until recently, the deadline for using non-Real ID licenses to enter a military base was July 10, 2017.  Just a few days before his graduation.  But an extension must have been granted, because now that date is in October.

I will probably get a Real ID license when they come out in SC so I can continue to visit my son.

My passport has lapsed and Rene never had one. Since we are planning a trip to the Canadian Maritime provinces in a year or two I figure we will just go with passports. We both have another 7 years before we need to renew our licenses and should be able to renew online so why go through the DMV hassle?