Changes coming to the auction scene on Pirates Ride

Ugh, political correctness.

http://www.chipandco.com/disney-replace-wench-auction-pirates-caribbean-attractions-stateside-paris-273840/

Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean is about to change with times by giving the infamous Wench Auction scene the cut.   In an article posted this week on Disney Parks Blog it was announced that Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland Paris, which is currently closed for refurbishment until July 24th will re-open with a few noticeable changes.  Chef among them is the fact that the auction scene will feature characters selling items such as chickens, guns and paintings rather than women.  The redhead will remain in a slightly new role which allows Imagineering to keep the line “We want the red head!” as a tip of the hat to the original scene.

Here’s an artist’s rendering of what the new scene may look like.

Pirates of the Caribbean

Other notable changes to the Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland Paris include the addition of Captain Barbossa as well as ghostly appearances by Davy Jones and Blackbeard.  The ride will also showcase new Audio-Animatronic figures, costumes, special effects, lights and sound.

Similar refurbishments are expected to take place at Disneyland and Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom in 2018.

I fail to see how arming the redhead with a rifle is more PC.  It makes me uncomfortable.  I propose Disney replace all weapons, including the cannons in the ships, with rainbow flags.

2 minutes ago, Travisma said:

In the first big battle scene, they are going to dock the boats next to each other, and the pirates are going to be exchanging bouquets and Kungaloosh recipes instead of firing cannons!

And instead of the Jolly Roger, they will have flags with Happy Unicorns on them.

Well I hope that at least bathe first.

14 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Stupid Bobby and Low IQ Phil are ruining Disney World by bowing to PC crazies.  Sad!

#savethewenches

Great Hashtag!  Although I could swear your comment sounds familiar somehow, like something I just read recently somewhere....   :lol:

19 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

The entire ride is politically incorrect from beginning to end.  So what!  I don't care.  It's still fun.  It's probably historically correct.  People need to get over themselves.

Agree X2

im so sick of the PC police ruining everything 

9 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Agree X2

im so sick of the PC police ruining everything 

And if you complain about their over-reacting, the PC police make you out like you are an insensitive jerk that kicks puppies, crushes butterflies, and pops kids balloons!

It's their way or no way.

speaking of #savethewenches ..............

http://www.chipandco.com/petition-launched-keep-wench-auction-scene-pirates-caribbean-273922/

In an announcement that stirred up a bit of controversy this week, Disney revealed that the infamous Wench Auction scene would be removed from the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction in Disneyland Paris.  The Pirates ride there is currently closed for refurbishment where it is set to receive several new scenes and upgrades including turning the traditional bride auction into a marketplace selling furniture, jewelry and art. However, in a tip of the hat the original ride, Disney did announce that the redhead will still be present but will be given a new role as a pirate!  Guests heading to Disneyland Paris will be able to see the new scene in place when the ride re-opens to visitors on July 24th.

But that’s not the only place where Disney fans will see the change, the Pirates of the Caribbean attractions in both Disneylandand Disney World’s Magic Kingdom are slated for renovation in 2018 which will see the classic scene removed on both Coasts.

This move has sparked its fair share of controversy with traditionalists arguing that the ride is fine the way it is and others that it’s about time that Pirates change with the times.

Therefore it’s not surprising that a petition has popped up at Change.org urging Disney to keep the scene as it is.  More information can be found here As of going to print, the petition currently has over 2700 participants and is aiming for 5,000.

The petition was at 3,603 at this posting.

Here is the update on the petitions:

http://www.chipandco.com/update-petitions-created-keep-redhead-pirates-caribbean-attractions-274320/

Several online petitions popped up in the last week urging Disney to keep the redheaded wench auction scene in the iconic Pirates of the Caribbean rides. Last week, Disney announced that this scene would be removed from all of the Pirates rides at parks around the globe as early as 2018.

When this decision was originally announced by Disney, much backlash was received by fans of the ride. Some of these fans took to online petition sites to keep the fate of their favorite Disney attraction intact.

Chip & Co fan, James DeMoy, created the petition entitled “We Wants to Keep the Redhead.” Currently this petition is approaching 26,000 signatures and counting. To sign the petition, CLICK HERE.

Now we will all just have to wait and see if Disney changes their mind about altering the ride or even if they will release a public statement addressing these petitions.

I don't see Disney changing their plans and this seems to me to be one of those situations that they would be best to not respond to publicly.

Edit:
It just dawned on me that the Redhead must be selling Musket Mickey's musket. So know we know where it went.

It is interesting that they will destroy an iconic attraction, but don't mind raking in the $$$ from movies with content that is much more politically incorrect.

The movies, with their violence and sexual content, offend a segment of the population they don't care about. The Pirates scene must offend that small but vocal segment that Disney caters to.

4 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

The movies, with their violence and sexual content, offend a segment of the population they don't care about. The Pirates scene must offend that small but vocal segment that Disney caters to.

You would think that they would care about offending those of us that spend money on their products.  

7 hours ago, fotofx....Steve said:

Or those of us who are shareholders. The worst part is even if I won the lottery I would never be able to own enough shares to have a say in anything.

I remember back in the 70's there were all kinds of perks for shareholders.. Now... Zilch....

I didn't have my shares until the 1990's but I do remember there being more neat things than there are now.  Sigh