Changes coming to the auction scene on Pirates Ride

20 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

The petition was within 300 signatures of the goal this morning.

Will any petition make a difference to the Disney powers that made this decision?

I have my doubts.

There are  groups out there championing the change because the redheads new role will make her a more powerful woman since she will be a pirate.

And the majority of the people liking the change is because it's a demeaning role for a woman to be auctioned off.

47 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Will any petition make a difference to the Disney powers that made this decision?

I have my doubts.

There are  groups out there championing the change because the redheads new role will make her a more powerful woman since she will be a pirate.

And the majority of the people liking the change is because it's a demeaning role for a woman to be auctioned off.

Of course Disney will ignore the petition.

You only need to go back and look at the outcry about closing Pleasure Island and the petitions it generated to see that petitions mean nothing to Disney.

Although I'm all about preserving classic attractions, I am really surprised that there are 30,000 people who care about one change in one scene of the Pirates attraction.  As far as I'm concerned, they already wrecked the ride when they installed the Jack Sparrow animatronics.  That was way worse of a change than modifying the auction scene will be.

TCD

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Great, way to set a positive role model for today's girls, Disney.  While I've always encouraged my daughters to be anything they want to be, I'm afraid of the message this is sending.  If one of my daughters now chooses a career in professional piracy, I'm suing Disney.  

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

As far as I'm concerned, they already wrecked the ride when they installed the Jack Sparrow animatronics.  That was way worse of a change than modifying the auction scene will be.

I'm likely to get in trouble here but I think the ruination goes further back to when they changed the fat woman chasing the pirate to the other way around.

12 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Great, way to set a positive role model for today's girls, Disney.  While I've always encouraged my daughters to be anything they want to be, I'm afraid of the message this is sending.  If one of my daughters now chooses a career in professional piracy, I'm suing Disney.  

What a twist of fate if young ladies decide to take up video piracy and start making Disney knock-off DVDs and Blu-Rays!

I think it's more that they are claiming the change is to get rid of the objectionable scene that bothers me. History is not objectionable, it is what it is. There WERE bride auctions in pirate days. Now if they merely stated they were re-imagining the story, so be it.

1 hour ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I think it's more that they are claiming the change is to get rid of the objectionable scene that bothers me. History is not objectionable, it is what it is. There WERE bride auctions in pirate days. Now if they merely stated they were re-imagining the story, so be it.

Maybe all of the PC police should realize this.  Big controversy here in Tampa about renaming schools and taking down Confederate Statues because they supposedly "glorify" slavery.

3 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Problem is people seem to now view "history" based on what we know/think/do today!   Somehow or another history has to be "re-written" to match up with today's standards without considering that it was our history that led to what are today's standards, ethics, discoveries and knowledge.   

Every time I read a piece in the paper or hear something on the news I'm left thinking I must be pretty ignorant and that maybe I didn't acutally go to school or university or get a graduate degree in history, because now all that I learned is being re-written to be more "modern" and more "acceptable".

So damned silly to ignore what really happened and "make-up" something else !!!!

3 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Hey if your daughters watch Black Sails they'll realize the lady pirates ruled the world!! ;)

Oh... but don't let your daughters watch Black Sails... it's full of violence and debauchery (and I will probably watch it from beginning to end at least one more time - LOL)

On 7/7/2017 at 11:48 AM, DaveInTN said:

While they're at it, they should go back and redo the entire Carousel of Progress.  Make the wife the narrator, and the husband should be doing the ironing.  Why should he sit on his butt gabbing while she does all the housework!  Hateful, misogynist Disney....

It would certainly represent my life a lot closer since I've retired and the wife still has a couple of more to go years to go.

Here is the video of the Paris ride already redone.  Le Sigh.

http://www.chipandco.com/first-look-pirates-caribbean-new-redheaded-auction-scene-275046/

pirates-of-the-caribbea-Paris-600x233.jp

Annual Passholders at Disneyland Paris just received a special treat! They were the first to catch a glimpse of the refurbished Pirates of the Caribbean ride including the re-imagined “Redheaded Auction” scene!

View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Photos: Jack Sparrow, Barbossa and man+woman sword fighters in Pirates of the Caribbean

A few weeks ago Disney announced that they would be removing the Redheaded Auction scene from all of the Pirates rides around the globe. This announcement was met with much disappointment form fans of the iconic attraction and several petitions were even formed.

Here is the full video of the refurbished ride. You can start taking a look at the new Redheaded scene around the 4:35 mark of the video. You can also view the new Captain Barbossa animatronic around the 7:38 mark. Keep your eyes peeled for other changes as well!

The ride is scheduled to reopen to the public at Disneyland Paris on July 24. There is no word when the attraction at the other Disney Parks will be closed for the refurbishment.

• 2 months later...

Yesterday was Talk Like a Pirate Day.  I hope that you didn't miss it.

The Disney Parks Blog posted a few articles about the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction.  The best one was this one, which includes a four minute video taken from a 1965 World of Disney presentation which covered the new Pirates of the Caribbean attraction coming to Disneyland.  Walt himself gives viewers a tour of the highlights on the new ride:

VIDEO: Watch Walt Disney Preview The Pirates of the Caribbean Attraction

Jennifer Fickley-Baker

by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Editorial Content Manager, Walt Disney World Resort

Today we’re celebrating International Talk Like A Pirate Day on the Disney Parks Blog by hearing the tale of how Pirates of the Caribbean came to be from none other than Walt Disney himself.

In this video clip, taken from an episode of “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color” that aired in 1965, Walt and Disneyland Ambassador Julie Reihm tour WED Enterprises for a look at Audio-Animatronics figures, sculptures, models and sketches that would launch the first Pirates of the Caribbean attraction at Disneyland park. The success of this adventurous attraction, which debuted at the park in 1967, would become an essential experience at Disney theme parks around the world.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/09/video-watch-walt-disney-preview-the-pirates-of-the-caribbean-attraction/

Sadly, Walt died before the attraction opened in 1967.

It's interesting to see Walt show us the mock-up of the auction scene, and make what would today be considered an inappropriate comment today about one of the young ladies to be auctioned.

It's sad to think that the current Disney regime is going to change something that Walt literally had his hand in creating.

TCD

Talk like a pirate is out of my grasp. Trying to mimic jack sparrow is practically impossible. When I try to talk like a "common" pirate it basically sounds like I'm trying to learn English as a second language. Epic fail.