Illuminations and Spaceship Earth sponsor not renewing contract with Disney

http://www.chipandco.com/breaking-news-future-illuminations-spaceship-earth-question-siemens-announcing-end-partnership-273811/

SE

Siemens Corporation, who is the official corporate sponsor of Disney Parks and more specifically Spaceship Earth and Illuminations at Epcot has just announced they will not be renewing their contract with Disney. Siemens has been a sponsor of Disney Parks for the past ten years.

Across the globe, Siemens also sponsors it’s a small world at Disneyland in California. Sylvania, who’s parent company is Siemens, used to sponsor the Osborne Family Light Show at Hollywood Studios and also their technology was used to construct the popular Radiator Springs Racers attraction at California Adventure in Disneyland among others.

The questions now is, “What will happen with Spaceship Earth and Illuminations?” As we recently reported, we were thinking that Siemens would renew their contract and give Spaceship Earth a much needed refurbishment. Now, with this news coming out it’s unsure what will happen with this iconic attraction. Interestingly enough, this will be the first time Spaceship Earth does not have a corporate sponsor.

With all the changes to Epcot we are anticipating to be announced at next month’s D23 Expo in Disneyland, we were also under the impression that Illuminations would be replaced by a new nighttime show. That looks very likely now with today’s news.

• 1 month later...

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/08/siemens-abruptly-leaves-spaceship-earth-corporate-lounge-contract-end-disney-taking-ownership-immediately/

The Siemens VIP Center (formerly Base 21) behind Spaceship Earth was abruptly abandoned this week when Siemens left the space months ahead of the end of their deal with Disney Parks. Even though the contract is set to expire on September 30th, Siemens staff left the space forever on Monday, July 31st, 2017. Apparently the relationship between the two companies soured rapidly after Disney turned down a new monorail fleet for Walt Disney World that Siemens offered in-lieu of compensation for a new sponsorship deal.

IMG_4018-1200x900.jpg

Since 2007, Siemens employees could access the space to relax and enjoy a refreshment, and Siemens executive had plenty of board room space inside to hold various meetings. If you have never been inside, be sure to watch our video tour below.

In a sign that another sponsor is not yet lined up and may not be at any point, Disney executives toured the space with Siemens staff ahead of their departure to decide what will stay and what will go. Siemens was supposed to return the Lounge to its original form upon departure, but Disney could choose to keep it as it is now. Regardless of what stays and what doesn’t, Disney is going to be taking over the entire corporate lounge and meeting space immediately.

Now the question is, will Disney use this space for internal meetings and such, or will they begin to hold special events in this building like dessert parties and the like, also making the lounge and board room bookable for guests looking to hold special events in the park? Only time will tell, but the ability to enter this lounge for regular park guests is likely something people would happily pay for. Sadly, it seems it is too late to make this space the Epcot Club 33 location as construction has already begun on the upstairs venue at the American Adventure.

Siemens sponsorship is still present at Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth and should be at least until September 30th, 2017.

I worked for at&t back when they were the sponsor. Having meetings in those conference rooms was a fantastic perk. We would take a break, grab a complimentary drink, then front of line spaceship earth(Walter Cronkite version). A great memory. 

Ok so this...

...Disney turned down a new monorail fleet for Walt Disney World that Siemens offered in-lieu of compensation for a new sponsorship deal.

Am I reading that right that Siemens was going to foot the bill for a new monorail fleet in exchange for sponsorship and WDW said no??

I took a picture of one of the monorail cars that had at least a 1/2 inch of dirt and dust on the A/C intake and more filth on the output grates.

People have been posting on FB that for two days the monorails broke down near the TTC.  One day required the fire department to aid in evacuating riders.

This is not the Disney of old.  

Maybe they should divert some of the $$ and CMs working on dessert parties and get back to the basics of keeping the parks clean and maintained.

Way too many things breaking down lately.

This coupled with the reports of no A/C in some comfort stations and the water/sewer mess in 600 and 800 would never have been allowed to happen in the past.

4 hours ago, Travisma said:

People have been posting on FB that for two days the monorails broke down near the TTC.  One day required the fire department to aid in evacuating riders.

Seems like there are a lot more reports of monorail breakdowns recently.

Disney might want to call Siemens back...

On 8/8/2017 at 10:38 AM, Travisma said:

I took a picture of one of the monorail cars that had at least a 1/2 inch of dirt and dust on the A/C intake and more filth on the output grates.

This is not the Disney of old.  

Maybe they should divert some of the $$ and CMs working on dessert parties and get back to the basics of keeping the parks clean and maintained.

Way too many things breaking down lately.

This coupled with the reports of no A/C in some comfort stations and the water/sewer mess in 600 and 800 would never have been allowed to happen in the past.

Remember when you could only enter the Magic Kingdom by Monorail or Boat?  I knew the company has always had problems balancing Walt's visions and also staying in business, and I get that, after all there are no Parks if there's no profit....... but I knew they had become strictly about the profits when they built the bus stops right in front of the MK.

The Disney of Old would have long since built new monorails to ALL of the parks as well as the Resort areas that can't be reached by boat.

Now its just buses, buses and more buses. Cram people in and out as fast as possible and make sure you extract every dollar from them while you're doing it..... 

42 minutes ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

Now its just buses, buses and more buses.* Cram people in and out as fast as possible and make sure you extract every dollar from them while you're doing it..... 

* and Minnie Vans!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/now-available-minnie-van-service-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

Minnie Van

By making the bus service less enjoyable, they can drive business to the $20 per trip vans.

That's what you call a win/win for Disney!

TCD

16 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

* and Minnie Vans!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/now-available-minnie-van-service-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

Minnie Van

By making the bus service less enjoyable, they can drive business to the $20 per trip vans.

TCD

Yeah yeah, I know... but those things are flippin' adorable!  :)

On 8/10/2017 at 0:54 PM, Tri-Circle-D said:

* and Minnie Vans!

Minnie Van

TCD

So, another way Disney is separating people into Haves and Have-Nots......

When I first started going to the Fort you could take a boat, an open-air Tram, even a Steam Train!

And yes, a bus.  But they all cost the same to everyone:  Zero.

If you paid to come to Disney, you had already paid for transportation and most of that transportation was deliberately designed to be part of "the Show".

I see enough buses in my everyday life, I don't want to see even more of them up close and personal while I'm on vacation at a "Resort"

The one bright spot I see is the new Skyway they are building. It's the first time in years Disney hasn't just thrown more buses at a problem.

Now if they would expand the monorail, or at least bring it back up to Disney Standards.....

11 minutes ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

The one bright spot I see is the new Skyway they are building. It's the first time in years Disney hasn't just thrown more buses at a problem.

Nobody has said that the new Skyliner will be free.  It probably will be, but they haven't said.  What if it's a premium alternative to the buses that they will charge guests to ride?  Just like these new Minnie Vans.  They could comp guests staying in the resorts that it will serve (verified via MagicBand) and make everyone else pay.  The way things have been going lately, I would not put something like that past them.

TCD