Gondola Construction Updates (beginning at EPCOT)

http://blogmickey.com/2017/06/photos-construction-walls-epcot-gondola-station/

EpcotGondolaStation-06282017-1-1068x712.

PHOTOS: Construction Walls Up For Epcot Gondola Station

By
 mike
 -

Construction walls are now up for the rumored gondola station next to the International Gateway entrance to Epcot. The walls encircle the entire International Gateway lawn, with some room left for guests to use the Epcot entrance area. There are no operational impacts to the actual guest entrance area, Friendship Boats, or ticket booths.

EpcotGondolaStation-06282017-1.jpgEpcotGondolaStation-06282017-2.jpg

A wider photo from the ticket booths looking back towards the International Gateway lawn area.

EpcotGondolaStation-06282017-3.jpg

A wide look at the lawn area with the Epcot entrance and Friendship Boat launch to the right, and the walkway to the Epcot area resorts to the left.

EpcotGondolaStation-06282017-4.jpg

Here’s a satellite view of the impacted area in blue.

EpcotGondolaStation-06282017-5.jpg

Construction is already underway on gondola structures areas near Caribbean Beach Resort and a space between Caribbean Beach Resort and Pop Century.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another article about the gondolas for you:

http://www.chipandco.com/international-gateway-potential-gondola-station-construction-begun-274431/

20170701_173015-600x450.jpg

Earlier this year we began hearing rumors about a gondola system coming to the Walt Disney World Resort.  These rumors were confirmed when Disney signed an official Notice of Commencement listing six locations for construction.  The Gondola System will have three lines and will transport guests from Caribbean Beach Resort, POP Century, and Art of Animation to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Epcot via the International Gateway. During a recent visit to the area, we were excited to see the International Gateway is now sporting a potential Gondola Station Construction Wall.

When you enter the walkway to the International Gateway area, from the Boardwalk, you can immediately see the construction wall.  As you walk towards the Friendship Boats dock on the right, you can see the construction wall begins to curve towards the entrance of the Guest Services area at the International Gateway on the left.

The construction wall continues around and ends at the corner of the International Gateway Restrooms.  There are no signs of construction vehicles at this point but we will keep an eye out for the construction to begin.  This location, based on the Notice of Commencement filed, would be the potential location for one of the Gondola Stations.

See our short video of this construction wall here:

Walt Disney World has not released an official statement about the Gondola System.  Stay tuned here to Chip and Company for updates as they become available.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the latest release of info:

http://www.chipandco.com/photo-video-tour-disney-skyliner-gondola-system-construction-begins-along-hourglass-lake-275786/

20170715_100111-1-600x450.jpg

We have all been hearing about the new gondola transportation system to be built at the Walt Disney World Resort.  During a visit to Pop Century yesterday, we noticed that construction has begun for this new mode of transportation.   The walkway between Pop Century’s 1950’s section and Art of Animation’s Little Mermaid section is where this process appears to have begun.  Take a look at our photo & video tour of the “Disney Skyliner” Gondola System Construction that has begun along Hourglass Lake.

Take a walk along Hourglass Lake from Pop Century’s 1950’s buildings.  You will approach the construction area at the bend just prior to the Art of Animation’s Little Mermaid buildings.

The bend in the walkway now has fencing on both sides.  Concrete has been poured and metal poles have been put into place.

Trees have been removed along the water and construction markings have been put in place.

The walkway as seen from the Art of Animation heading back towards Pop Century.

The end parking area for the Pop Century’s 1950’s  is now cordoned off with chain link fencing.  There are construction vehicles and equipment housed in this space now.

Construction Workers were working Saturday morning along Century Drive as seen from the Hourglass Lake/Resort side….

and from the vantage point along Century Drive as we exit near the Disney Security checkpoint.

As you head towards Generation Gap Bridge, you can see the weighted green flotation devices and construction markings in this particular area.  As indicated in earlier reports, Guests are supposed embark, and debark, at the Bridge.  Could this location over the water  be where the Disney Skyliner Station will be build then for that purpose?  We will certainly keep you posted as more information becomes available.

The view from Generation Gap Bridge facing the “Disney Skyliner” construction area.  You can now see straight across as the trees have been removed.

As you exit Pop Century, and turn right onto Victory Way heading towards Buena Vista Drive, there is construction that has begun here as well.  This location cuts through to Victory Way.  Caribbean Beach Resort is just on the other side of this location.

If you turn onto Victory Way from Buena Vista Drive, heading towards Osceola Parkway, on the right, directly across from the Victory Way photos seen above, is this area that is being cleared too.

See our video tour of the “Disney Skyliner” construction area along Hourglass Lake here:

This concludes our photo and video tour of the “Disney Skyliner” Gondola System Construction as it begins along Hourglass Lake.  Check it out if you will be staying at the Pop Century or Art of Animation in the near future.

On 7/17/2017 at 10:14 AM, Beckers said:

I guess I should have said I wonder HOW MUCH they will raise lol. I like pop century because I'm cheap but if this raises the rates significantly I'll probably switch to All Stars or maybe a moderate.

But would you ever switch to an off-property resort?

Just an FYI, as far as number of rooms, occupancy level per amount of space, All-Star Music has the least number of rooms. It is quite pleasant there, and not at all hectic. 10 buildings, 3 stories, and at least a third of those rooms have been converted to family suites, thereby reducing the occupancy for the same space to 6 instead of 8

By comparison, don't forget that Pop Century has 4-story buildings in those 10 buildings, so many more rooms, but no extra capacity in swimming pools, food court, check-in desks, laundry facilities, and bus loading areas. That place is a zoo as far as I'm concerned. It's not worth the price at it's current rates, much less what it may go to when the gondolas are done.

I do like the look and feel of Art of Animation, but the price of the family suites just is not compatible with my pocket book, and the Little Mermaid rooms are so far out in the boonies, and never discounted. No thanks.

Thank for this insight on All-Star Music. I hadn't even thought of that one. We are hoping to go to Disney at the end of March next year. I know, spring break season....but it's the only time we really can go.

Anyway, we usually stay at the Fort in our camper but want to try a hotel this time. We are a family of 5, with kids ages 12, 6 & 2 by that time. I am all ears to any recommendations for hotels during that time. I think we are looking to stay 3/23-4/1. We want to do a day or two at the hotel and visit each park once...maybe go twice to one, if there's time. We'll have two total days of travel (one there, one back). We are also planning on the middle level dining plan this time...a first for us.

Anyway, any insight to the best hotel stay for the money and the needs mentioned is greatly appreciated. Branching out from the Fort is a little overwhelming.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Tall Lady said:

Thank for this insight on All-Star Music. I hadn't even thought of that one. We are hoping to go to Disney at the end of March next year. I know, spring break season....but it's the only time we really can go.

Anyway, we usually stay at the Fort in our camper but want to try a hotel this time. We are a family of 5, with kids ages 12, 6 & 2 by that time. I am all ears to any recommendations for hotels during that time. I think we are looking to stay 3/23-4/1. We want to do a day or two at the hotel and visit each park once...maybe go twice to one, if there's time. We'll have two total days of travel (one there, one back). We are also planning on the middle level dining plan this time...a first for us.

Anyway, any insight to the best hotel stay for the money and the needs mentioned is greatly appreciated. Branching out from the Fort is a little overwhelming.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Since your little one will be under three, you can still fit in a standard hotel room. I believe even the values will deliver a portacrib for you.

http://blogmickey.com/2017/07/photos-disney-skyliner-flyer-handed-caribbean-beach-resort-guests/

PHOTOS: Disney Skyliner Flyer Handed Out to Caribbean Beach Resort Guests

By
 mike
 -

Guests staying at Caribbean Beach Resort are experiencing quite a lot of construction surrounding both the newly announced Disney Riviera Resort and the Disney Skyliner Gondola system. Disney has started to hand out flyers to guests that describes the system and thanks them for their understanding.

caribbean-beach-gondola-flyer-july2017-2

Here’s the front of the flyer.

caribbean-beach-gondola-flyer-july2017-1

Of course, the aforementioned projects aren’t the only ones affecting Caribbean BEach Resort guests, there is also a huge overhaul of Centertown underway.

The Disney Skyliner project is expected to be complete before mid-2019.

http://www.chipandco.com/photo-update-construction-disney-skyliner-gondola-system-277557/

Our wonderful Disney reporter, Lisette, stopped by Art of Animation and Pop Century this week to take a look at how the construction was going on the new Disney Skyliner Gondola System.

She even was able to talk to one of the construction workers working on the project to get an update of what was currently going on. She was told that the Main Station for the gondolas was going to be in the back of the 50’s building parking lot at Pop Century. There also will be a stop of the gondolas near the Generation Gap Bridge.

As of today, there was actually a bridge put in place stopping traffic on the Generation Gap Bridge but we are hearing that is only temporary while they are putting dates up. It should be down by tomorrow.

Take a look for yourself at the progress:

2-600x450.jpg

3-600x450.jpg 4-600x450.jpg 5-600x450.jpg 6-600x450.jpg 8-600x450.jpg 9-600x450.jpg 10-600x450.jpg 11-600x450.jpg 12-600x450.jpg 14-600x450.jpg 15-600x450.jpg 16-600x450.jpg 17-600x450.jpg

Photos from today at Art of Animation:

1-1-600x450.jpg 2-1-600x450.jpg 3-1-600x450.jpg 4-1-600x450.jpg 5-1-600x450.jpg 6-1-600x450.jpg 7-600x450.jpg 

• 2 months later...

I don't think this is been reported here yet. If it has, sorry. I just received this email from Disney about her upcoming trip to pop century this Christmas. 

?t=58611&d=undefined
VIEW in your browser
22971e7ca9106904948c892197de931e.png
7d3b5f839f15548d61c4d392b25d848a.jpg
Disney's Pop Century Resort

October 2017
Dear XXXX Party,

We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us at Disney's Pop Century Resort! 

Walt Disney once spoke of how his creations would never be complete as long as there is imagination left in the world. It is in this spirit that we have embarked on creating a new transportation system, Disney Skyliner, which will give Guests a bird’s-eye view of Walt Disney World® Resort while traveling via gondolas. This transportation system will connect future Guests of Disney's Pop Century Resort with Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, the International Gateway at Epcot® and other Resorts. 

While we work our magic, the Resort will be in full operation with all amenities available to you, including our dining, merchandise and recreation locations. It is possible that you may see or hear construction, but noise should not be heard from your Guest room between dusk and 9:00am. We apologize for any inconvenience this work may cause and appreciate your patience and understanding. Please know we are making every effort to ensure your comfort and enjoyment.

If you have questions or need assistance prior to your arrival, please call the Disney Reservation Center at 407-939-7805 between the hours of 7:00am-11:00pm (ET).

General Manager Jeff Korte and the team at Disney's Pop Century Resort look forward to your arrival and wish you a truly magical stay!

Sincerely,
Disney Destinations, LLC

?id=h3039ca2e,1d0f90cd,1

33 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I don't think this is been reported here yet. If it has, sorry. I just received this email from Disney about her upcoming trip to pop century this Christmas. 

Heed that warning.

We had a one-night stay at Pop back in August.  We were only there for the night, and the only time I was there during daylight hours was when I checked it, but I certainly heard the construction noise.

Have you ever been anywhere where they were using a pile driver?  The resort buildings were literally shaking.  And when they say they will go to dusk, they mean it.  It won't be a big deal for anyone that is planning to hit the parks hard, and not interested in a mid-day break.  But, I don't think it would be good daytime napping conditions at Pop or AOA if they've got the pile driver going.

TCD

• 5 months later...

updates maybe

https://www.inquisitr.com/4843357/updated-look-at-skyliner-construction-at-walt-disney-world-towers-go-up-near-hollywood-studios-photos/

Updated Look At Skyliner Construction At Walt Disney World — Towers Go Up Near Hollywood Studios

One of the biggest announcements made last summer at the D23 Expo was that Walt Disney World would get a Skyliner transportation system, and progress is coming along nicely. The new system is going to connect a number of resorts and two parks at WDW which will guests a new method of traveling around. New photos are popping up to show a great deal of progress and towers are starting to lift high into the sky already.

The new gondola system doesn’t yet have an opening date, but it is expected to begin operation sometime in 2019. As originally reported by Disney Parks Blog, the transportation system will connect Disney’s Art of Animation, Caribbean Beach, and Pop Century Resorts directly to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and the back of Epcot.