I didnt think campfires were ever allowed at the Fort until recent times when you can have one but in an approved fire pit. I dont ever recall seeing a sign anywhere regarding putting out your fire but there is one on Ebay. Anyone know if this is real, where they were located, and what years?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Walt-Disney-World-Actual-Park-Used-prop-sign-Fort-Wilderness-Campground-Fire-/292169800758?hash=item4406ad5c36%3Ag%3AXfwAAOSwAO9ZWHql&_trkparms=pageci%3A2777892f-6378-11e7-9cdf-74dbd180aa15%7Cparentrq%3A1fb1de8f15d0abc030588968fff0625e%7Ciid%3A8

Buyer beware.

This sign is very fishy.

The 407 area code was not used by Disney World until some time after its creation in 1988.  Prior to that, all of the Orlando and the east coast of Florida south of there used the 305 area code.

Also, the fact that the phone number is printed on the sign with the area code would only make sense for guests to use if they had cell phones available to make the call.  Otherwise, they would be directed to use the house phones at the comfort stations.

When did cell phones become so common that Disney would expect most guests to have them available to make calls?  I would say no sooner than 1995-ish, and probably later than that.

Then, the artwork on the sign depicts an open, on the ground, campfire. Those have never been allowed at the Fort.

I have been a frequent visitor of Fort Wilderness since the mid-90's, and I have never seen any sign that looks even remotely like this one in terms of theme and composition anywhere on Fort Wilderness property.

And one last thing that is food for thought- this eBay seller coincidentally has numerous other "authentic" Disney signs for sale.  How did he manage to assemble such a collection?

I say it's fake.

TCD

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

The incorrect grammar proves this is a legitimate Fort Wilderness sign.  I'm placing a bid.  

Don't be fooled by that obvious ploy. 

Now, if there was an errant apostrophe somewhere, that would be a different story.

To add more fuel to the fire (pun intended), I dug into my archives, and found this old scan of an old Fort Wilderness Gazette:

FWScan.jpg

The third bullet point under the heading Public Notices is the same verbiage that was printed in the Gazette for years, right up until the time it was not longer published.

The official rules used to be NO FIRES at the campsites.

The Approved Fire Pit rule is of recent origin- like in the last 10 years.

The eBay sign is a fake.

TCD

2 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The eBay sign is a fake.

Yes, but it's a $225 fake.  You're just mad that you didn't come up with this yourself.  

But seriously, how does an eBay seller who peddles obvious fakes garner 100% positive feedback on over 2500 reviews?  This is why I very rarely use eBay.  

11 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Yes, but it's a $225 fake.  You're just mad that you didn't come up with this yourself.  

But seriously, how does an eBay seller who peddles obvious fakes garner 100% positive feedback on over 2500 reviews?  This is why I very rarely use eBay.  

I don't know enough about eBay to know what to do about a situation like this.

I'd love to see the Certificate of Authenticity that this seller claims to have.

TCD

26 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

My dad has a saying, "There is an ass for every seat."

20 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I don't know enough about eBay to know what to do about a situation like this.

I'd love to see the Certificate of Authenticity that this seller claims to have.

TCD

I double dog dare you to ask her for it and post it here.  HAHAHA

49 minutes ago, bhall said:

I think I found the source image for his sign.

https://www.disneyclips.com/imagesnewb/mickey-minnie2.html

54e2b262d7b657a5c3b6eef383c8e9a7.gif

Very interesting.

39 minutes ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

Also it's in Wilmington, DE a hot spot for Disney memorabilia,

The seller posted this on his Facebook page for the business:

Interested in Disney World?? So are we! We have recently been able to purchase several Walt Disney World Park used props and signs direct from Florida! Many of these items we sold at a recent Disneyanna Convention. However, some pieces were bought in quantity and still are available. Check out our Ebay store for daily additions to our Disney World Park Prop category as well as all kinds of fun tin signs, Pop figures, and LEGO items.
Feel free to call with any questions
River Plaza 302-322-6211
New Castle Farmers Market 302-322-6200

Giving the seller the benefit of the doubt, he may have innocently bought the 20+ signs that he is trying to sell on eBay, and he truly thinks they are authentic.

But, I'll bet he got all of these dirt cheap, so he should know better.

(And there's a phone number to call if anyone is so interested)

TCD

Refresh my memory...

Was it themeparkconnection or mousesurplus that went out of business?  I know one of them was selling bogus stuff.  That could be his source.  Just wondering.

I know that there was a big auction a couple of months ago.

3 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

I believe they went ebay only and just closed their storefront location, but I could be mistaken.

They had started their on on-line store several years ago and left "E" Bay because of high fees.