RUMOR:(CONFIRMED) Tron Coaster Coming to MK?

Here's an interesting rumor making the rounds. Follow the link for pics...

Tron Roller Coaster to Replace Tomorrowland Speedway at Magic Kingdom
By mike - July 10, 2017

Another day closer to the D23 Expo, another rumor. Sources have indicated to us that the Tomorrowland Speedway will be demolished for the Tron Lightcycle Roller Coaster. Vekoma reportedly built a second version of the roller coaster when they were building out the Shanghai version. Rumors point to the Magic Kingdom version of the attraction retaining the facade seen in Shanghai Disneyland.

The area under consideration is over 4.25 acres in size, if kept to the interior of the train tracks. The attraction footprint in Shanghai looks to be roughly the same size within a margin of error for measuring.

It’s possible that Disney could use the D23 Expo as a venue to announce the addition. Until then, this is to be considered a rumor. There are no indications on a timeline for the project, but with Magic Kingdom’s 50th Anniversary in 2021, its a safe bet that Disney is aiming for all of their projects to be completed by then.

This years D23 Expo is shaping up to potentially be a huge newsmaker as Epcot, Magic Kingdom, and transportation projects are expected to be announced.

http://blogmickey.com/2017/07/tron-roller-coaster-replace-tomorrowland-speedway-magic-kingdom/

On 7/10/2017 at 2:53 PM, Travisma said:

I know it'll save then a boatload of $$$ if they use the same/similar ride/build as another park.

But what is the trend of having rides based on mediocre movies?

What is the deal with that trend?  Actually, why are all the new attractions based on movies.  DS and I were just trying to figure out when a new attraction was developed that was NOT based on a movie.  We think it might have been Everest, but would love to hear other opinions.  Be nice to see the "imagineers" put some imagination into the new attractions.

Here is the report.  The most interesting thing to me is that there is a possibility that they are going to have to move the railroad tracks to allow the new ride.

You know, they are allowing the Speedway to stay but not the Redhead scene....I call FOUL!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/tron-attraction-coming-to-magic-kingdom-park-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

New Tron Attraction Coming to Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort

Thomas Smith

by Thomas Smith, Editorial Content Director, Disney Parks

We just shared some exciting news that Tron – our highest-rated attraction at Shanghai Disneyland– is coming to Walt Disney World Resort in Florida!

Image_WDW_TRON.jpg

The new Tron attraction will sit in an entirely new area right next to the Space Mountain attraction at Magic Kingdom Park. Bob Chapek, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, made the announcement during the Walt Disney World Parks and Resorts presentation at D23 Expo 2017.

Regular Disney Parks Blog readers know that the TRON Lightcycle Power Run attraction at Shanghai Disneyland is a coaster-style attraction where riders board a train of two-wheeled Lightcycles. It offers access into the energy, lights and excitement of TRON’s high-tech universe and is one of the most thrilling adventures at any Disney park.

Also, during today’s presentation, Bob said the plan is to open the Tron attraction in time for Walt Disney World’s 50th anniversary in 2021.

Keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for more updates on this future attraction.

• 6 months later...

Update on TRON

From Orlando Weekly

New permits reveal details on Magic Kingdom's next E-Ticket attraction

Posted By Ken Storey on Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 7:00 am

Last year at D23, Disney confirmed that a new TRON indoor roller coaster would be coming to the Magic Kingdom. While the belief was this new signature attraction would open in time for the 50th Anniversary, we now have a better understanding of the timeline thanks to recently filed government paperwork. 

In November, we saw Environmental Resource permits filed with the South Florida Water Management District that gave exact locations for both the TRON Lightcycle Power Run coaster, and the new Main Street theater. But the permits didn’t give much for details. However, now we have "notices of commencement" permits that tell us Disney is expected to break ground soon and gave us new details on who will be doing the work.

The permits filed with Orange County confirm that Disney has hired local construction company The Whiting-Turner Contracting Co. to oversee the project. 

Like most construction permits, these documents don’t have exact dates on them, but they’re typically filed only when the design is set, and construction is about to begin. Using previous construction timelines, we can expect a two-year build timeline for TRON coaster. While the official groundbreaking at Shanghai Disneyland was in 2011, it wasn’t until late 2013 that construction truly took off with the first steel column laid in October 2013. The TRON attraction saw vertical construction by early 2014 and was testing with invited guests in spring of 2016. 

We should see ground clearing and site preparation at the Magic Kingdom in the coming months with most of it taking place well before the rainy season. Once vertical construction does begin, which will likely be before the end of this year, the Walt Disney World Railroad will go down for at least a brief period since the TRON building stretches over the railroad. 

The Tomorrowland Speedway will also go down for a brief period as it gets an update, which will likely include a slightly updated track and new theming. Tomorrowland as a whole is expected to get a major theme overhaul in the coming years, though that might be a few years after TRON opens. 

All three attractions and the Main Street theater should be open by the 50th Anniversary celebration in 2021. 

10 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Based on how long they've taken to build other attractions, if they're going to have the new coaster and revisions to the railway and racetrack done by 2021, they should have broken ground yesterday. 

TCD 

The one saving grace is they already built one so it's not like they are developing it from the ground floor.

And I thought I had read somewhere that they have a second one built and stored away or at least some of the components.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

And I thought I had read somewhere that they have a second one built and stored away or at least some of the components.

That would be pretty spiffy if it's true.  

I have to think the push will be on to get all this new stuff in place by the 50th so maybe they'll crank up the speed on the ol' construction machine this time around.

5 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

That would be pretty spiffy if it's true.  

I have to think the push will be on to get all this new stuff in place by the 50th so maybe they'll crank up the speed on the ol' construction machine this time around.

It seems like everything moves slow down here on major construction projects.

And it makes no sense, because we have decent weather the majority of the year, no snow or frostline to worry about or delay projects.

Little or no boulders and rock to blast like the NE.

A bit more details from just today...

BREAKING: TRON Lightcycle Power Run Opening Date Revealed for Magic Kingdom, Construction Begins Next Week

February 2, 2018

According to a recent filing, work on the TRON Lightcycle Power Run roller coaster at the Magic Kingdom is set to be completed just in time for Walt Disney World’s 50th anniversary in 2021.

With construction starting February 6th, 2018, the filing claims the work will be complete by August 16th, 2021 (barring any delays). The attraction should open in Tomorrowland somewhere around that time.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/02/breaking-tron-lightcycle-power-run-opening-date-revealed-magic-kingdom-construction-begins-next-week/

On 1/30/2018 at 8:13 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

They built all of the original WDW in less than three years. If the wanted to, they could easily have this project done in 6-12 months, but the modern Disney deliberately goes SLOW so they can spread expenses over several budget years and let the hype build. 

TCD

But they don't recognize expenses on capital projects like this in the year incurred, but rather they're capitalized and amortized over a useful life.  Disney's depreciation and amortization expense related to domestic parks and resorts is around $1.7B annually.   For major park expansion projects, the capital expense is financed and spread over many years, perhaps 30 or more.

Remodeling, additions, extra infrastructure always take longer than original builds. You have to work around, reroute, and demo existing plumbing and electrical, hardscape, etc. and keep what all is being fed by that existing stuff running. AND since WDW was built on a swamp, I betcha half of that build time will be moving dirt and working foundation.

BUT, it shouldn't take 3 1/2 years.

Even in our area, I watched a commercial building go up next to my office building. They moved dirt for 6 months before they poured the foundation.

4 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Remodeling, additions, extra infrastructure always take longer than original builds. You have to work around, reroute, and demo existing plumbing and electrical, hardscape, etc. and keep what all is being fed by that existing stuff running. AND since WDW was built on a swamp, I betcha half of that build time will be moving dirt and working foundation.

BUT, it shouldn't take 3 1/2 years.

Even in our area, I watched a commercial building go up next to my office building. They moved dirt for 6 months before they poured the foundation.

You are correct in all aspects.

BUT, $$$ talks and they could have crews working around the clock to get this done.  Yes there is a lot of prep work, and rerouting, and disruptions, but they could've started on expanding the park bit by bit so they didn't have to shoehorn it into a small existing spot.