Using Photobucket for image hosting? READ THIS

TL;DR: Photobucket is evil and stupid now, use Imgur instead.

So Photobucket, a site a lot of you use to host pictures here on the site, is currently committing corporate suicide by preventing people from using their service for exactly what they've been using it for since forever. To post pictures from Photobucket here on Fort Fiends, the fine folks idiots at Photobucket have decided that you need to pay them $400 American dollars a year for the privilege.

That's dumb. And it's going to break a lot of links here on Fort Fiends. I wish there was something that we could do about that, but there's really not, from our end. Everyone's posts that link to Photobucket are going to break, unless they pay, which I wholeheartedly do not recommend.

WHAT DO I DO?, I hear you ask. Here's what you can do:

1. Go download everything you can from your Photobucket account, while you still can. I'm hearing horror stories of people whose accounts are being locked for "violating your free Photobucket account's terms of service" for third-party linking. Once your account has been locked, you apparently can't get to your photos until you pay up, which again DO NOT GIVE THIS DUMB COMPANY YOUR MONEY.

2. USE IMGUR. Imgur is my image host of choice, because it was built for hosting images. That's what it does, and it doesn't charge its users to do it. They're at imgur.com, and I'd write up a whole thing on how to use it, but I don't really have the time at the moment. They're pretty easy to figure out, though. I'm confident that you can do it- you certainly can if you were linking from Photobucket before.

3. Once your previously-hosted-on-Photobucket pictures are now on Imgur, you'll have to manually edit your old, broken posts to point to the new ones. This is the part which will be tedious, and hard, and unfortunately nobody will do it.

I'm not going to put too fine a point on this: This sucks, and it sucks a lot. It's going to decimate our Trip Reports forum, which is very image-heavy. I am filled, at this moment, with righteous anger at the morons at Photobucket who thought any of this was a good idea. 

TL;DR: Photobucket is evil and stupid now, use Imgur instead.

• 2 months later...

I'd like to add.

If you happen to be using an Andriod phone, and have the google photo app on your phone and have it set to auto backup your pictures to your google account (and why wouldn't you) you can link direct from your photo.google.com account.

1) Locate the image in your photo.google.com page.

2) Click on the photo to "full size it"

3) Right click on it and select copy image address

4) on FortFiends click on Insert other media

5) Select insert image from url

6) right click in the txtx box and select past (this will put the url for the image in the txt block)

7) the URL is very long and silly looking, but at the end add -tmp.jpg

8 ) then click insert into post.

This will work even if your photo.google.com account is set to private, it gives permission for that photo to be viewed from that link only.

6) 

XlrFkIvJS5FHQ92I5gQcpM-guzzlJPEcXO0rJu-A

18 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I'm not seeing your picture. There was a discussion earlier about something weird you have to add to the silly long url from google photos to get them to show up here.

changed the ending to -tmp.jpg  should work now

• 3 months later...

Just posted this is General discussion as well. They finally went back to old pricing for non-commercial sites.

PREMIUM

3rd Party Hosting for Personal Use

Perfect for forum enthusiasts, bloggers, and personal website owners

• Store up to 300,000 Photos
  • Unlimited 3rd Party Hosting (Non-commercial)*
  • Unlimited Forum Embedding
  • Unlimited Sharing

$99.99 BILLED ANNUALLY

EQUIVALENT TO

27¢/DAY