Here is some more oohs and aaahs...

http://www.chipandco.com/first-look-star-wars-land-d23-expo-275143/

Our very own Chip is bringing us the latest news live from D23 this weekend and we are so delighted to be able to share with all you Disney and Star Wars fans, this first glimpse of what the much-anticipated Star Wars  Land will actually look like when it is unveiled in 2019.

Here’s a feed directly from D23 about this breathtaking expansion:

Check out this first look at the epic, richly detailed model of the Star Wars-themed lands under development at Disneyland park in Anaheim, Calif. and Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Orlando, Fla.
SW Landscape

D23 also released additional concept art images giving attendees a flavor of what it will feel like to walk through this area of the parks.

Star Wars Land

Star Wars Land 2

During a presentation at D23, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Bob Chapek had the following to say about the project:  “All along, we have said this will be game-changing, and through the model we can begin to see how truly epic these immersive new worlds will be.”

The model will remain on display at the pavilion through the weekend to give visitors an up-close look at what’s to come.  In addition, attendees will be treated to display models, artwork and media that provide a detailed look at some of the locations, starships, creatures, and droids that guests will encounter when they visit this new planet.

The Star Wars expansion will represent the largest single-themed land expansion at 14 acres each and will open in both parks in 2019.

This is from the Walt Disney World Blog, updates are coming fast and furious.  We will be posting as fast as we can.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/live-updates-from-walt-disney-parks-and-resorts-at-d23-expo-2017/

Just moments ago, Bob Chapek, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, revealed the official name of the Star Wars-inspired lands that are currently under construction at the Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts, and shared details on the immersive experiences guests will be able to enjoy when the lands open in 2019.

The lands, both called Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, will allow guests to visit a remote trading port on the edge of wild space, where Star Wars characters and their stories come to life – and where guests will find themselves in the middle of the action.

The lands will feature two major attractions that put guests in the middle of a battle between the First Order and the Resistance. Each attraction – and even the land itself – will offer guests the chance to immerse themselves in the Star Wars universe like never before.

hggkjgugjht66966475.jpg

One attraction will make you feel like you’re on a Star Destroyer inside a hangar bay. It’s an attraction built on a scale we’ve never done before.

The second attraction will give guests the opportunity to fly the Millenium Falcon, piloting the ship, shooting blasters or preparing for hyperspace – all while completing a critical mission. But how you perform on the mission holds even bigger stakes: perform with skill and you may earn extra galactic credits, while bringing the ship back banged up could put you on the list of a bounty hunter. End up on Harkos’s list and you may face a problem if you show up at the local cantina!

Guests will also encounter many familiar faces inside Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, including BB-8, Chewbacca, members of the First Order and – among many others – Rex, the troublesome pilot you may remember from the previous version of a certain Disney attraction who takes on a new role in this land as the DJ at the cantina.

And speaking of the cantina, here guests will be able to try unique concoctions like blue milk. Nearby, they’ll also be able to acquire trinkets and treasures from across the galaxy.

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will open in 2019, first at the Disneyland Resort and later in the year at the Walt Disney World Resort. (No further opening dates have been announced yet.)

• 2 months later...
23 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Thanks for sharing these.

The new Star Wars buildings at Disneyland are visible from various places in the park. They are way further along with the construction there than they are at WDW.  The original 2015 announcement from Disney that both lands would open at the same time at Disneyland and WDW was revised at this year's D23 Expo with the statement that Disneyland's will open first, in the summer of 2019, with WDW's following later in the year.  I am calling it right now that there will be another revised announcement about WDW, and that it will not open in the same year as Disneyland's.

TCD

8 minutes ago, Specularius said:

Do you think that once the Toy Story land is finished, that the crews from that project will speed up the finishing of the Star Wars land?

That's a fair point.

But, I don't think it's a lack of manpower that has the Star Wars Land construction lagging.  Lately, Disney takes a painfully long time to get anything done.  They have their own timetables.  Pandora could have been done way quicker if they wanted it to open sooner.  Same thing with New Fantasyland a few years before that.

As far as I know, they haven't touched either the Universe of Energy or the Great Movie Ride, even though they hurried up to close them last month.  It's all carefully calculated.  My guess is that they want to drive business to Disneyland with the new Star Wars land, and not have the two parks competing against each other.  They will also have that new Star Wars hotel to fill at WDW.  I don't think anything has gone vertical on that yet, and they may be dragging their feet on the attractions to let the hotel get caught up.

TCD

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

They will also have that new Star Wars hotel to fill at WDW.  I don't think anything has gone vertical on that yet, and they may be dragging their feet on the attractions to let the hotel get caught up.

Doing that really makes sense and allows for them to exploit the synergy between the two elements. I could foresee special Star Wars packages with the hotel and exclusive access to the new Star Wars Land if they can manage to open them concurrently. We all know as well as Disney that there are a lot of Star Wars fans who would be willing to pay for a more immersive experience.

18 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That's a fair point.

But, I don't think it's a lack of manpower that has the Star Wars Land construction lagging.  Lately, Disney takes a painfully long time to get anything done.  They have their own timetables.  Pandora could have been done way quicker if they wanted it to open sooner.  Same thing with New Fantasyland a few years before that.

As far as I know, they haven't touched either the Universe of Energy or the Great Movie Ride, even though they hurried up to close them last month.  It's all carefully calculated.  My guess is that they want to drive business to Disneyland with the new Star Wars land, and not have the two parks competing against each other.  They will also have that new Star Wars hotel to fill at WDW.  I don't think anything has gone vertical on that yet, and they may be dragging their feet on the attractions to let the hotel get caught up.

TCD

The work is ongoing at the Universe of Energy at least.  The tear out is underway.

They announced a TON of new stuff this year, I'm hoping that part of the plan is a fairly stead stream of things opening starting in the not-too-distant future, vs a ton of stuff a few years from now.

From Disney's perspective - keep giving them new things over time so they have to keep coming back would seem to make sense.  I know when new Fantasyland was under construction (for what seemed like aeons) I talked to more than a few people that said they were putting off their next trip until it was done.  If Disney starts opening new attractions every 6-12 months for the next few years, that would give people like that a lot of reasons to not wait and keep coming back.

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

The work is ongoing at the Universe of Energy at least.  The tear out is underway.

Well, that's encouraging news.  Of course, they could get the tear out done, and then let the empty building sit.  They're good at that at Epcot.  But, hopefully that means the new attraction will come sooner rather than later.

13 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

They announced a TON of new stuff this year, I'm hoping that part of the plan is a fairly stead stream of things opening starting in the not-too-distant future, vs a ton of stuff a few years from now.

From Disney's perspective - keep giving them new things over time so they have to keep coming back would seem to make sense.  I know when new Fantasyland was under construction (for what seemed like aeons) I talked to more than a few people that said they were putting off their next trip until it was done.  If Disney starts opening new attractions every 6-12 months for the next few years, that would give people like that a lot of reasons to not wait and keep coming back.

I'm sure that they have a master plan, and that they will open stuff in a way to maximize the excitement and impact of adding new things. The good news for Disney fans is that they have announced a lot, and that there probably will not be a long lapse between the new things opening once that starts.  We've got Toy Story Land next summer, Star Wars the summer after that (maybe), and then the new attractions that will replace the Great Movie Ride and the Universe of Energy.  That's a lot more to look forward to in the next two to three years than we've had in a long time.

TCD

16 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

The 50th anniversary is going to be a driving force to get much of this done. 

That's an excellent point, and one that temporarily slipped my mind.

You're right- they will be making a huge push to fill the resort for the 50th anniversary of WDW, which is October, 2021.  We will probably see new parades and shows by then too.

Some of this stuff that we think will be open in the next two or three years may be more like four years away.

TCD

On 9/27/2017 at 10:29 PM, Travisma said:

There was TH  pictures of the start of the Disney Quest demolition.  They have punched holes thru the outer walls at each floor supposedly to set it up for an implosion.

Implosion!?  They could charge extra to see that one.

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

Implosion!?  They could charge extra to see that one.

Years ago they did one in downtown Tampa of an office building.

I convinced my wife to go over her protests that it was going to be lame and no one will be there.

We got there and it was party central.  There were thousands in the streets jockeying for a good vantage point.

It was a great show.

Maybe Disney will come up with a Demo Dessert Party!!

3 hours ago, Travisma said:

Years ago they did one in downtown Tampa of an office building.

I convinced my wife to go over her protests that it was going to be lame and no one will be there.

We got there and it was party central.  There were thousands in the streets jockeying for a good vantage point.

It was a great show.

Maybe Disney will come up with a Demo Dessert Party!!

Do you remember that show that the illusionist Criss Angel did with a hotel implosion on Clearwater Beach back in 2008?

I had to look up an article on it to remember the details: http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/criss-angel-escapes-an-imploding-hotel-mdash-but-not-as-expected/749628

I can't believe that was 9 years ago!

Anyway, I haven't heard of Criss Angle since then.  I'll bet he would come and do some kind of trick for Disney when the implode the Disney Quest building.

TCD

27 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Anyway, I haven't heard of Criss Angle since then.  I'll bet he would come and do some kind of trick for Disney when the implode the Disney Quest building.

TCD

And then in addition to selling tickets to the Disney Quest Implosion Dessert Party, they could televise it to boot!

KA-CHING!!!

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Do you remember that show that the illusionist Criss Angel did with a hotel implosion on Clearwater Beach back in 2008?

I had to look up an article on it to remember the details: http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/criss-angel-escapes-an-imploding-hotel-mdash-but-not-as-expected/749628

I can't believe that was 9 years ago!

TCD

That was that long ago?  Wow.

Wasn't there another one they filmed in Pinellas and used in some sort of cop movie?

About 3 years ago the imploded a big warehouse building around the airport.  We watched if from out 10th floor break room.