CONFIRMED:New Uber-like Disney Service to be called Minnie-vans

Unlike the Minnie-van I posted in the Kids forum, this is actually a thing and is supposed to happen in the near future.  Go-figure.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/07/breaking-disney-worlds-uber-like-service-called-minnie-vans-first-details-emerge/

PARKS & RESORTS WALT DISNEY WORLD RESORT

BREAKING: Disney World’s Uber-Like Service To Be Called “Minnie Vans”, First Details Emerge

July 13, 2017
wdw-entrance-road-arch-990x548.jpg
  • Share This!

Information has started being shared with cast members at Disney’s Yacht & Beach Club Resorts about the long-rumored “Uber-Style” service Disney World will be launching, and no it is NOT called Duber, rather it will be called Minnie Vans.

Guests at these resorts and the Boardwalk will be a part of the initial test for this service, rolling out slowly over the next few weeks. A team of Chevrolet Traverse vehicles will be utilized, which makes sense considering the corporate sponsor for Test Track is Chevrolet and they have an overall deal with WDW. Given the name Minnie Vans, we expect the truck to be polka-dotted in some way, a play on Minnie Mouse’s classic look, but that’s just a guess.

Guests can expect a flat rate to anywhere on property when utilizing the Minnie Vans service once it launches. While we don’t have an exact number, we expect the rate to be between $15 and $20 a ride. Additional information on the proprietary app or how guests will be able to use the service are scarce right now.

We expect a formal announcement either from the Disney Parks Blog or at the D23 Expo this weekend.

29 minutes ago, ependydad...Doug said:

I thought Jason posted something on his FB page about a Uber-style Disney van. I wasn't sure if he was being serious or if I was missing something. Sounds legit.

He had a picture of one of those tall passenger vans and was wondering if that was one of the Disney Uber vans.  It didn't have any markings on it.

http://blogmickey.com/2017/07/photos-minnie-vans-spotted-disney-property/

It appears that Disney’s uber-like service, Minnie Vans, is now operational at Walt Disney World. The service is available at Disney’s Boardwalk Resort and Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club Resort. The cost is $20 per ride and pricing is subject to change.

Here’s a look at the adorable vehicle that we “spotted” at the Speedway gas station near Magic Kingdom.

MinnieVan-07172017-1.jpgMinnieVan-07172017-2.jpgMinnieVan-07172017-3.jpgMinnieVan-07172017-4.jpg

The vehicles used are indeed Chevy Traverses. We first saw the vehicles under wraps at Test Track a few days ago.

Will this affect the car service that returns people to their resort from the parks when bus traffic is light?  Last year we were taken back to the fort in these vans a few times because we left the park within an hour of the park opening from the Animal Kingdom.  On the other hand we waited over an hour and a half for a bus under similar conditions at HS without ever being offered this service.  I finally approached a driver at the adjacent stop (no one is ever around to help at the bus stops over there) and a bus picked us up shortly thereafter.  The front desk staff at the Fort told me that they were not running return buses within the first 2 hours of park opening.  No one anywhere else would confirm that it was true - everyone said that it is every 20 minutes.  Would really like to know the truth of the matter?  The best advice I have been given is to ask at the gate as we exit to see if a bus is running.  Not sure what we will do if the answer is no.....

3 hours ago, keith_h said:

How does the fee compare to local Uber rates? Other than possibly shorter wait times the service being limited to Disney property doesn't seem as convenient when compared to Uber which will take me anywhere in the area.

It doesn't. 

We have a timeshare at Wyndham bonnet creek, which is  right next-door to the Caribbean Beach resort. We Uber everywhere when we are at Disney. The most expensive Uber ride we had this last Christmas  was $15.49. That was from bonnet creek to animal kingdom. We pay about 6 to 7 dollars to get to Epcot or Hollywood studios. And about 7 to 8 dollars to get to the Magic Kingdom.

16 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

New development.... It's going to use the Lyft app. 

http://www.chipandco.com/new-minnie-van-service-works-lyft-app-276055/

MinnieVan.jpg

Yesterday I brought you one of the first guest sightings of the recently announced Minnie Vans at the Boardwalk Inn. Everyone was so excited to see it and had so many questions that I thought a second article was in order giving you all the information we have learned so far about the program.

Overview

The Minnie Van Service is a new personal point-to-point ride service designed to take guests around the Walt Disney World Resort property. The internal bus system that Disney provides only takes guests from the resorts to the parks or to Disney Springs and then back again. There is currently not a direct way (provided by Disney) for guests to travel from one resort to another. Until now…

The Minnie Van service is currently in soft opening this week. After that, the Minnie Vans will be available through Lyft, a ride sharing service utilized through an app on your phone (available for both iOS and Android phones). When guests open the Lyft app from anywhere in the Walt Disney World Resort the Minnie Van Service is unlocked. A cast member at the Bell Services desk of the resort can help guests get started with the app if they are unfamiliar. The Lyft app will allow guests to request a ride from their smartphone and pay directly through the app.

***We have heard through the grapevine that while the Minnie Van Service is in soft opening, rides are being offered complimentary for the week. But we haven’t officially confirmed this yet.

Other Details We Have Learned

• The drivers are Walt Disney World Cast Members
  • Guests of Disney’s BoardWalk and Disney’s Yacht & Beach Club Resorts are the first to try out this pilot program.
  • The Minnie Van is actually not a van at all but a Chevrolet Traverse mid-sized SUV which can seat up to 7 or 8 passengers (including the driver) across 3 rows.
  • The service costs a $20 flat fee per one-way trip. As with most things, this amount is subject to change.
  • Currently the hours of operation are 6:30 am until 12:30 am
  • Two car seats are in each vehicle for use

One of the biggest advantages i can see is they offer car seats.  In an uber or other service you'd have to bring you own car seat then once at your destination you'd have to find a place to store the car seat.  

I'd use this service if we wanted to get someplace and not wait on the bus service.  I wonder if they would be permitted to pick you up at your camp site or at the entrance?

Also when announced at D23 they were honda mini vans...  Wonder whats going on with that.

16 minutes ago, bdm said:

One of the biggest advantages i can see is they offer car seats.  In an uber or other service you'd have to bring you own car seat then once at your destination you'd have to find a place to store the car seat.  

I'd use this service if we wanted to get someplace and not wait on the bus service.  I wonder if they would be permitted to pick you up at your camp site or at the entrance?

Also when announced at D23 they were honda mini vans...  Wonder whats going on with that.

They had a decorated Honda at D23 with big Minnie Ears and a bow on the roof.  maybe that's what they meant?  Or maybe they couldn't make a deal with Honda?

12 minutes ago, Travisma said:

They had a decorated Honda at D23 with big Minnie Ears and a bow on the roof.  maybe that's what they meant?  Or maybe they couldn't make a deal with Honda?

I thought when i was watching the video from D23 they said they partnered with Honda on the Mini Van...  No worry, I still think its a great idea.  The $20 is a bit steep but people will use it.

1 minute ago, bdm said:

I thought when i was watching the video from D23 they said they partnered with Honda on the Mini Van...  No worry, I still think its a great idea.  The $20 is a bit steep but people will use it.

maybe they meant the Imagineers and Honda worked together on the one at the show.

Tomato tomatoh :lol: