CONFIRMED:New Uber-like Disney Service to be called Minnie-vans

On the same point, Blog Mickey has a great review after riding. We'll probably continue to use Uber for a family of 3, but with younger kids or bigger families, pricing isn't actually bad.

http://blogmickey.com/2017/07/review-video-disneys-minnie-van-uber-like-service/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

http://blogmickey.com/2017/07/photos-request-minnie-van-via-lyft-app/

We first reviewed the new Minnie Van service a couple weeks ago when it was in “soft openings”, but today is the big day! Minnie Van officially launched this morning for guests staying at Boardwalk and Yacht and Beach Club. Let’s take a look at how the service works with the Lyft app.

Guests with an active reservation staying at the resorts mentioned above will get a notification in My Disney Experience that explains the service and asks if they’d like to participate.

minnie-van-lyft-5-576x1024.png

Once accepted, guests enter their mobile number to activate the service within the Lyft app.

minnie-van-lyft-6-595x1024.png

Opening up the Lyft app shows the “Minnie Van” option in addition to regular Lyft transportation. One of the items stressed to us in our initial review is that Disney isn’t looking to harm existing transportation options or partners, just provide an additional option to guests looking to get around property.

minnie-van-lyft-4-636x1024.png

Note that the price is a flat rate of $20 anywhere on property, but I had an unrelated promo code in my account already.

minnie-van-lyft-2-675x1024.png

Users of the Lyft app, or other ride sharing apps, will be familiar with the process. You simply set a pickup location and a drop of location and a Minnie Van will arrive within minutes to whisk you away.

minnie-van-lyft-3-639x1024.png

Another nice thing about the app is that it will direct you to the pickup location should it not be immediately apparent.

minnie-van-lyft-7-593x1024.png

Again, if you’d like our thoughts on the service as a whole, we have a full review with video.

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

Based on their example you can save up to 50% by waiting 2 extra minutes. If the ratio's are similar during typical hours of operation I don't see why anyone would want to use the Disney service other than the cute vehicles.

Because to some people $$$ is no object, and they then have bragging rights back home in their coffee club that they used DISNEY'S Minnie Van service instead of those mundane Lyft and Uber rides.

7 hours ago, keith_h said:

Based on their example you can save up to 50% by waiting 2 extra minutes. If the ratio's are similar during typical hours of operation I don't see why anyone would want to use the Disney service other than the cute vehicles.

One "plus" that has not been mentioned is that the Minnie Vans allegedly are allowed to pick up and drop off guests right outside of their buildings in the "campus" resorts, rather than requiring guests to go to the lobby to be picked up.  Also, these Minnie Vans drop off and pick up in the MK Bus Loop, not at the TTC, which is where Uber and Lyft have to pick up and drop off.  I imagine that if they can go to specific resort buildings, then they can go directly to Fort Wilderness campsites and cabins.  They already say that they can drop off directly at the Hoop Dee Doo Revue.  Supposedly, Uber and Lyft drivers have to drop guests off at the Outpost, but I've seen many a surreptitious drop off at the Settlement path.

TCD

Actually there are 2 good reasons.... if you have a larger family, the Minnie Vans can be cheaper than the XL cars from Uber or Lyft. Also, if you need car seats, they're there at no charge. The other services charge extra for that.

12 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Actually there are 2 good reasons.... if you have a larger family, the Minnie Vans can be cheaper than the XL cars from Uber or Lyft. Also, if you need car seats, they're there at no charge. The other services charge extra for that.

I wouldn't have thought about needing car seats as I haven't had a need for them for 30 years. :lol: Just looked up the price and at the price I found, $10/seat, the Disney offering would be cheaper. It still looks like Lyft and Uber would be cheaper for parties of six except maybe when they are under high demand pricing. It's only $2 or $3 but a buck saved is a buck saved.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this has been posted on here or not and to be honest did want to read through the whole thread (it's been a long day). 

They also have handicap accessible vans with powered lifts. I saw one tonight dropping off a power scooter at the French Quarter.  I don't know if the other companies do as well and or the availability of them. I do know that there have been times that we have taken a busses to the parks with the scooter and come closing have dreaded waiting for a bus to go back especially if there are multiple wheelchairs or scooters waiting, it can take awhile to get on a bus. 

On 9/17/2017 at 0:14 AM, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Not sure if this has been posted on here or not and to be honest did want to read through the whole thread (it's been a long day). 

They also have handicap accessible vans with powered lifts. I saw one tonight dropping off a power scooter at the French Quarter.  I don't know if the other companies do as well and or the availability of them. I do know that there have been times that we have taken a busses to the parks with the scooter and come closing have dreaded waiting for a bus to go back especially if there are multiple wheelchairs or scooters waiting, it can take awhile to get on a bus. 

Good to know!

• 2 weeks later...

Official information about the Minnie Vans is hard to find.  The Disney Parks Blog posted one article about these, and no one ever came back to answer all the questions potential customers have asked:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/now-available-minnie-van-service-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

I met an actual Minnie Van driver yesterday, and she told me a few things about the current status of the program.  Here are some tidbits;

- The service is supposed to be limited to guests of specific WDW resorts.  They began with The Boardwalk and Yacht and Beach Club, and have since expanded to Wilderness Lodge, The Polynesian, and the Contemporary (just this week, I believe).

- In order to use the service, guests must not only download the Lyft App, but then have the Minnie Van service part of it activated by a CM at one of the resorts where the service is available.  That currently excludes the moderate and value resorts, and, of course, the campground.

- Once activated, guests can request a Minnie Van from any location on property (even the moderate and value resorts and campground) and be driven anywhere on property.   The fee is a flat $20 per trip.

-The CM's working in the drop off areas at the Deluxe Resorts are able to activate the Minnie Van component of the Lyft App, and they do not verify if you are an actual registered guest at the resort.  Thus, a Fort Wilderness guest could hop the bus to Wilderness Lodge and get the App activated there, and then use it all over WDW property from that point forward.

-The $20 flat fee is per trip, with unlimited stops on that one trip.  So, mom and dad can call the Minnie Van to take them from The Yacht and Beach Club for a dinner reservation at the Contemporary, and drop the kids off at the kids club at the Polynesian on the way.  Same flat fee.  Or, more helpful for campers (after they have the Minnie Van code activated), you could have a Minnie Van pick you up at a park and take you to one of the on-property Speedways where you can stock up on beer and things at lower than Trading Post prices, and then take you to your campsite or cabin at the Fort.

- The Minnie Vans can pick-up and drop-off right at campsites and cabins at the Fort.

- Once activated, the Minnie Van part of the App is good for subsequent trips without having to be reactivated.  Thus, if you are registered from a prior trip, but choose to stay at the Fort or a value resort, you can use the Minnie Van service on that subsequent trip.

I'm sure there will be more information coming out as the program grows (if it's successful that is), but this information is current as of September, 2017.

TCD

• 2 weeks later...

I meant to comment on this the other day.

We took a Minnie Van last week from the Poly to the Yacht Club. The service runs from 6:30 AM to 12:30 AM, and the information from TCD above is correct. I went to the concierge at the Poly and they were able to have a code sent to my phone that activated the Minnie Van option within the Lyft app. $20 flat fee anywhere on property with unlimited stops. The driver was a CP CM and was very pleasant, he said the service was very popular and they had expanded the fleet already.

I can tell you that it was worth every penny for 4 of us to get back to the Yacht club at midnight after a few drinks at Trader Sam's. I wouldn't use it every day, but for a quick ride I think it's worth it.

Pouring rain on Friday. We we staying at the Fort but going to HHN for the evening. Had a rent a car booked at car care but did not want to unload the cart and drive up to the outpost to get the car care van in the rain. Was nice having the Minnie Van pick us up at the campsite and take us to car care.  Plus because they are cast members they can take short cuts. Exited the Fort out the back (side) way to Lodge and across TTC back to car care. A lot quicker.

8 minutes ago, fotofx....Steve said:

Pouring rain on Friday. We we staying at the Fort but going to HHN for the evening. Had a rent a car booked at car care but did not want to unload the cart and drive up to the outpost to get the car care van in the rain. Was nice having the Minnie Van pick us up at the campsite and take us to car care.  Plus because they are cast members they can take short cuts. Exited the Fort out the back (side) way to Lodge and across TTC back to car care. A lot quicker.

How did you get the Minnie Van on your Lyft app as a Fort Wilderness guest?

They haven't started offering the service directly to Fort guests, have they?

TCD

55 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

I meant to comment on this the other day.

We took a Minnie Van last week from the Poly to the Yacht Club. The service runs from 6:30 AM to 12:30 AM, and the information from TCD above is correct. I went to the concierge at the Poly and they were able to have a code sent to my phone that activated the Minnie Van option within the Lyft app. $20 flat fee anywhere on property with unlimited stops. The driver was a CP CM and was very pleasant, he said the service was very popular and they had expanded the fleet already.

I can tell you that it was worth every penny for 4 of us to get back to the Yacht club at midnight after a few drinks at Trader Sam's. I wouldn't use it every day, but for a quick ride I think it's worth it.

Thanks for sharing your report.  I was initially against this idea, but it definitely has value- especially when there is drinking involved.  The bad thing is that the service currently cuts off too early for bar hopping.

Did the Polynesian concierge verify that you were a registered guest of the Yacht and Beach Club resort?

TCD

5 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

How did you get the Minnie Van on your Lyft app as a Fort Wilderness guest?

They haven't started offering the service directly to Fort guests, have they?

TCD

A few weeks ago when Irma came through we had Fort reservations. They ended up giving us Lodge and that activated the app.

I should add that once you have the option in your Lyft app you have it forever. You can use it to or from anywhere on property.

31 minutes ago, fotofx....Steve said:

A few weeks ago when Irma came through we had Fort reservations. They ended up giving us Lodge and that activated the app.

I should add that once you have the option in your Lyft app you have it forever. You can use it to or from anywhere on property.

Nice.

Thanks for confirming that the app stays active on future trips.  I reported that as one of the facts that the Minnie Van driver told me, so it confirms that she gave me good information.

I think that they Minnie Van's drivers' ability to pick up right at the campsite and use the cut-through at Wilderness Lodge and drop off right at the MK would make it way faster than any other mode of transportation to the MK.

The big challenge for Fort guests will be finding a way to get the app activated.

TCD

I really do not see them being that strict on it. The weird thing is I did not request it. I was logged into My Disney and it just popped up when I was in the Lodge lobby. I get similar popups whenever I pass restaurants that are on mobile order now.

I should add that I DID NOT have Lyft installed previously nor did I have an account.

15 minutes ago, fotofx....Steve said:

I really do not see them being that strict on it. The weird thing is I did not request it. I was logged into My Disney and it just popped up when I was in the Lodge lobby. I get similar popups whenever I pass restaurants that are on mobile order now.

I should add that I DID NOT have Lyft installed previously nor did I have an account.

I get those notifications from the WDW restaurants too.  But, I've been to WL since they were added to the Minnie Van list, and I have not received a notification there.  I currently am exclusively and Uber user, but I am going to add Lyft and the Minnie Van add-on when I get a chance.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thanks for sharing your report.  I was initially against this idea, but it definitely has value- especially when there is drinking involved.  The bad thing is that the service currently cuts off too early for bar hopping.

Did the Polynesian concierge verify that you were a registered guest of the Yacht and Beach Club resort?

TCD

She did ask which resort we were staying at, but did not check my magic band. Trader Sam's closed at 12 so the 12:30 curfew was fine for us. I'd assume they have the 12:30 curfew in place to limit the exposure to the crowds at Disney Springs? It seemed kind of arbitrary, although I'm sure they have data that tells them the best hours to operate. It was definitely the way to go after closing down the bar.

If I had a character breakfast first thing or was hoping to hit a rope drop early i would definitely consider it. We actually almost took it the next day from AK to Epcot Center but it would have been a wash time wise with taking the bus as there were no cars in close proximity. Our driver said they were planning on expanding the fleet again but didn't offer a timetable for doing so.

Just an FYI I believe the cars (Chevy Traverses) can take up to 6 riders, but don't quote me on that. It might be 5. Not sure if the 3rd row seated 3.

1 hour ago, fotofx....Steve said:

There was a Lyft/Minnie Van pop up in MDE several times during our stay. I already had the app loaded, but you can get the Minnie Van availability added directly through the MDE app somehow  as one of our traveling party was able to do that. However, I don't know if it was because we were all staying at the Yacht & Beach Club and it was in the MB/MDE system.

I definitely need to check into this for our upcoming trip.  In our case thinking also for Trader Sam's, particularly if MK is already closed.

Unless of course you're with a group of Wild Womenz and manage to finagle your own private bus... but that's a story for another day.  :lol:

• 4 months later...

Cross posted to the price increase thread

Price Of Minnie Van Service Also Increases At Walt Disney World

Sunday marked a huge day for Disney Parks as ticket prices increased on both coasts, but there are plenty of other things that went up in cost as well. In California, Disneyland saw prices go up on most tickets and annual passes for those two parks. In Florida, Walt Disney World saw ticket prices go up across the board as well as the cost of parking, but those wanting to use the Minnie Van service are going to have to fork up a bit of extra cash as well.

The new Minnie Van service started last year and has been expanding to different resorts all across Walt Disney World property. Most recently, the service started heading out from select resorts to Orlando International Airport (MCO) for departing flights, and it has proven to be quite popular too.

It’s a great alternative and additional option to the Walt Disney World transportation system when the boats, buses, and monorails are just overcome with other guests. Unfortunately, all good things must have a speedbump, and that is what the Minnie Vans developed this weekend.

As reported by WDW Magic, on Sunday, February 11, 2018, Minnie Van service saw an increase in price for those wanting to get a quick ride around the property.

Danny Cox

Since its debut, Minnie Van service could be used for $20 per ride, but now, it is going to cost a little bit more. As of Sunday, the price of the service has gone up to $25 for those wanting to use it for rides to the parks, Disney Springs, or to select resorts.

As of February 11, 2018, here are the resorts participating in the Minnie Van service:

• Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
  • Disney’s Beach Club Resort
  • Disney’s Boardwalk Resort
  • Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
  • Disney’s Contemporary Resort
  • Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
  • Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
  • Disney’s Pop Century Resort
  • Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
  • Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
  • Disney’s Yacht Club Resort

As of now, the Minnie Van service is still very limited for transportation to Orlando International for departing flights. It is $150 for the one-way service to the airport and can accommodate up to six guests and three car seats for club-level guests at these resorts:

• Disney’s Beach Club Resort
  • Disney’s Boardwalk Resort
  • Disney’s Contemporary Resort
  • Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
  • Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
  • Disney’s Yacht Club Resort

If you can use the Lyft app or head to the concierge desk at your Walt Disney World Resort, then, you can use the Minnie Van service. This has become an extremely popular option and in quick fashion as it was just introduced late last year. On Sunday, the cost of using Minnie Vans did go up, but it wasn’t a huge amount and will still prove to be a very beneficial option for those traveling around the parks and resorts.