Mission Space Refurb Extended

http://www.chipandco.com/refurbishment-extended-epcots-mission-space-attraction-275250/

Walt Disney World attraction Mission: SPACE, located in Epcot’s Future World, closed for refurbishment last month. The ride was scheduled to re-open in “late summer” but September refurbishment schedules are here and it looks as though Mission: SPACE’s refurbishment will extend throughout the month of September.

Disney has made no official comments on the details of the refurbishment, and with no official date for its re-opening, it’s possible the attraction could be closed beyond the month of September.

Here is some more information on what is going to happen when they open the ride back up.  According to the D23Expo, the ride is to be more "Kid Friendly"  (WDW Blog, see D23 News thread).

http://www.chipandco.com/mission-space-attraction-will-feature-new-green-mission-275714/

Mission-Space.png

It was announced at the D23 Expo Parks and Resorts Panel that many new exciting changes are coming to Walt Disney World over the next few years. Luckily some of these changes we won’t have until 2019 to enjoy.

The Mission: Space attraction located in Future World at EPCOT is currently closed for refurbishment without a clear end in sight. The good news is that when it does open the Green side (non-spinning) will feature a new mission designed for the whole family to comfortably enjoy. They said that “guests are going to blast off for an orbital adventure around the planet.”

Here is the latest info that has been released.  Apparently we are now looking at August.

http://www.chipandco.com/mission-space-heads-new-adventure-starting-august-276111/

Mission: SPACE has been providing Epcot visitors with a chance to feel what its really like to travel through Space since it first opened in 2003.  The ride has been closed for a lengthy refurbishment and during this year’s D23 Expo we found out why.

In just a few short weeks, guests will have an opportunity to enjoy a brand  adventure on Mission: SPACE – Orange as well as on Mission SPACE – Green.  The Orange mission will be updated to provide even more stunning visuals of Mars while the Green version will allow guests to blast off on adventures around Earth’s orbit.  Orange is designed to provide a more intense mission with the use of centrifugal force while Green offers a more laid back ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the official date for reopening:

http://www.chipandco.com/epcots-missionspace-reopens-august-13th-new-experiences-277068/

Mission:SPACE fans have something to look forward to this summer. Starting Aug. 13,the Epcot attraction will relaunch the with a brand new experience and an enhanced version of the “classic” Mission: SPACE.

• Orange Mission for a truly intense experience that lets you feel the force of an actual space launch en route to Mars. On this mission, you’ll dodge meteoroids, slingshot around the moon and attempt a precision landing on the Red Planet’s alien surface. This “mission” has been enhanced with new, HD video to make it even clearer – I can’t imagine!
  • Green Mission – a new mission that takes you on an exciting orbit around Earth. On this amazing new adventure, you’ll take in sites like the Hawaiian Islands, Italy’s “boot” and the Northern Lights—as seen from space, of course—before finally landing at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. No matter which mission you choose, it’ll be a journey that’s totally out of this world.

In addition to all the “mission” updates this Disney attraction has become MORE family-friendly. Younger astronauts now have the option to ride. The height restriction will be changed for the Green Mission side with the addition of new X-2 booster seats allowing children 40″ and up to ride.

http://blogmickey.com/2017/08/photos-new-mission-space-sign-unveiled-mars-earth-missons/

Two new signs are now on display at Mission: SPACE ahead of its August 13th re-opening.

The main attraction sign has both Mars and Earth, reflecting the missions guests can choose from.

mission-space-signage-08012017-4.jpg

The safety/wait time sign is also visible, with both missions featured.

mission-space-signage-08012017-1.jpgmission-space-signage-08012017-3.jpgmission-space-signage-08012017-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The official Disney site has been updated in advance of this weekend's reopening of Mission:SPACE.

Big news-  Lt. Dan (Gary Sinese) will no longer be the narrator for the pre-show.  Now we will have actress Gina Torres (never heard of her):

You’re Go for Launch!

Dodge meteorites, slingshot around the moon or enjoy a breathtaking flight path featuring views of our home planet. Read More

Dodge meteorites, slingshot around the moon or enjoy a breathtaking flight path featuring views of our home planet.

What’s it like to be an astronaut? Find out aboard the newly relaunched Mission: SPACE!

Kick off your journey by choosing to feel the full force of an actual space launch and rocket to the Red Planet as part of the Orange Mission. Or you can opt for the brand-new—and less intense—orbit around Earth as part of the Green Mission.

Once you’ve made your choice, head to the Simulation Lab, which houses a 35-foot-tall gravity wheel like the kind NASA uses to simulate gravity in deep space, as well as a replica of a NASA Lunar Roving Vehicle (LRV). Then, pass by Training Operations, a glass bullpen where ISTC mission-control personnel are hard at work, manning their control panels.

Before you board, actress Gina Torres will brief you as you prepare for your mission aboard the X-2 Deep Space Shuttle at the International Space Training Center (ISTC). Each member of your 4-cadet crew will assume an important role: navigator, pilot, commander or engineer. During your flight, cadets will be instructed to initiate a mission-critical sequence… so be prepared!

Finally, board your capsule, lower your harness and prepare for an extraordinary mission—one that takes you to space, without ever leaving Epcot.

Remember: your crew is counting on you to ensure a successful voyage and a safe trip home!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/epcot/mission-space/#readMore

TCD

Hmmmm, I might actually be able to ride Green more often IF it is a gentle ride around the earth.

What stinks, is it is not the centrifuge that kills me.... I LOVE the launch on the orange side. It is the dodging of the asteroids in the motion simulator that eats my lunch. The simulator must be a bit off.

We'll definitely add it to our list over Labor Day weekend.

32 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

...the dodging of the asteroids in the motion simulator that eats my lunch. The simulator must be a bit off.

I've never attempted it.  It opened after my last miserable experience with a VR ride and I swore them off.

But since then I've learned that when the motion is off from what you see on screen, that's generally what bothers people.  And I've been able to do the Harry Potter rides several times (which are part VR). Hopefully part of this refurb was making sure the video/motion is synced up well.  If that's the case, I may give it a try.

But Carol... I'll let you go first. ;)

I hadn't hear of her either, but she's been in a lot of things

Gina Torres has appeared in many television series, including Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (as Nebula), Xena: Warrior Princess (as Cleopatra), the short-lived Cleopatra 2525, Alias (as Anna Espinosa), Firefly (as Zoe Washburne), Angel (as Jasmine), 24 (as Julia Miliken), Suits (as Jessica Pearson), The Shield (as Sadie Kavanaugh), and Westworld (as Lauren). She starred opposite Chris Rock in the feature film I Think I Love My Wife, as Carla in the independent film South of Pico, and she reprised her Firefly role in its feature film sequel Serenity. Since 2011, she has had a main role on the USA Network series Suits as Jessica Pearson. She and real-life husband Laurence Fishburne played a married couple on the NBC television series Hannibal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gina_Torres

She was on a recently cancelled ABC show and her husband is on an ABC show. 

8 minutes ago, Seals said:

I hadn't hear of her either, but she's been in a lot of things

Gina Torres has appeared in many television series, including Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (as Nebula), Xena: Warrior Princess (as Cleopatra), the short-lived Cleopatra 2525, Alias (as Anna Espinosa), Firefly (as Zoe Washburne), Angel (as Jasmine), 24 (as Julia Miliken), Suits (as Jessica Pearson), The Shield (as Sadie Kavanaugh), and Westworld (as Lauren). She starred opposite Chris Rock in the feature film I Think I Love My Wife, as Carla in the independent film South of Pico, and she reprised her Firefly role in its feature film sequel Serenity. Since 2011, she has had a main role on the USA Network series Suits as Jessica Pearson. She and real-life husband Laurence Fishburne played a married couple on the NBC television series Hannibal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gina_Torres

It's remarkable that I have not seen a single one of those TV shows or movies. 

I still have no idea who she is.

What was wrong with Lt. Dan?  Who doesn't know him?

TCD

LT Dan is not PC enough for Disney.  I hear they got a real deal on Torres.  I actually asked for more money to do the narration than she did.  She needed the work more.

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

She was also a baddie in Alias the Jennifer Garner series.

She has had a lot of TV roles.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0868659/?ref_=nv_sr_1

19 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Nothing wrong with loo - ten - ant Dan (Forrest Gump is one of my family's favorite movies so I have to say that in his voice), but I'm guessing Disney wanted a woman. They are losing Ellen from that side of the park.  Too bad they couldn't have gotten one of the actresses from Hidden Figures. 

21 hours ago, Seals said:

This might be reason along with Gary being a CBS star. She is also pretty well known in science fiction circles for Firefly which is where I know her from. This gives her a tie in to an outer space ride.

7 minutes ago, keith_h said:

This might be reason along with Gary being a CBS star. She is also pretty well known in science fiction circles for Firefly which is where I know her from. This gives her a tie in to an outer space ride.

I imagine that when the selected Gary Sinise, it was because he was the star of a Disney (Touchstone) film called Mission to Mars, which was released in 2000.  Mission Space didn't open until 2003, but it must have been in planning for a few years before that.  Mission to Mars ended up being a box office flop: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0183523/, and I'll bet most guests have never heard of the movie.  I do recall that Gary and his band appeared at some event at Epcot, and I believe that he still is on the Candlelight Processional narrator list. 

I'll bet they regret the tie between the attraction and the movie flop, and this reboot is their chance to distance themselves from the movie, and bring in a fresh new face.

TCD

21 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

Not so remarkable..... I've never seen any of them either LOL

Although being a sci-fi fan I'm told I really need to watch Firefly/Serenity so that's on my list to watch someday.

On 8/11/2017 at 1:20 PM, Avatab.... Steve said:

Not so remarkable..... I've never seen any of them either LOL

Although being a sci-fi fan I'm told I really need to watch Firefly/Serenity so that's on my list to watch someday.

Firefly and Serenity were great.  Fox goofed up royally cancelling Firefly after 1 season.  Nathan Fillion starred in it and Castle and he did a couple of references to the show during a Halloween episode.