Sun Shine pass or not?

In the final stages of planning our trip to the Fort,  trying to decide if I should pre order a sun shine pass or not.  Last time down we didn't, and ended up having to write a check at one of the tolls due to not having cash on us.  

Heading down 75 how many tolls are in central Florida and does it make scene to get the pass?

At the moment, no tolls on I-75 or I-4.

Now if you venture out on the Florida Turnpike, 528 Beachline, 417, 429, and maybe 414 all in the Orlando area you will encounter tolls.

The Sunpass will give you a discount thru each toll booth so that is a plus beside just buzzing thru the bypass lanes.

You can purchase a Sunpass at most of the interstate rest areas, and activate/set up an account and add $$ using a cell phone.

They are also available at Walgreens, CVS, and Publix  plus other stores.

I try to avoid the toll roads, but it sure comes in handy when you can't.

And they also work in Georgia where they utilize the Peach Pass

Just now, bdm said:

My Google map rout shows several tolls.  Looks like I'll pre order my sunpass

Would you all recommend the Mini Sticker Transponder? 

That's what I have.  

It's good for 1 vehicle, sticks to the windshield and they say taking it off damages it.

Shortly after getting mine I got a new truck.  I carefully peeled it off and it still worked when i put it back on my newer truck.

They are $5, so you could by 4 of them for the cost of the removable one, and you can tie all of them onto 1 account.

The only advantage is if you were renting cars a lot in FL, then i would go with the $20 one.

I have multiple vehicles so i have the suction cup,  but the mini sticker is nice ,small and out of the way it goes behind your rear view mirror. you wont even know its there.

3 hours ago, bdm said:

My Google map rout shows several tolls.  Looks like I'll pre order my sunpass

Would you all recommend the Mini Sticker Transponder? 

Im curious.  How are you preordering the Sunpass?

All I could see were places to buy it in Florida.  I didn't see anywhere to order it online.

Never mind.  I found it.  I think I will order one.  It will be worth the 20 bucks not to have Carol dropping change all over the truck whenever a toll booth pops up.   Then trying to hit the target from the truck window.  I probably have lost over 20 dollars each trip that way.

1 hour ago, ftwildernessguy said:

Never mind.  I found it.  I think I will order one.  It will be worth the 20 bucks not to have Carol dropping change all over the truck whenever a toll booth pops up.   Then trying to hit the target from the truck window.  I probably have lost over 20 dollars each trip that way.

You can get the credit card type for $5.

When the newer suction cup type came out, they loaded either $15 or $20 credit onto them, making that type more affordable to purchase.

There is no discount now.

LOVE my Sunpass. I don't know how many times I've seen the tollbooths backed up. Just breezed right through the SunPass lanes, and there is a discount. Once you get it, be sure and go online and register your car tag and trailer tag. Then you can prepay an amount, then set it to load a certain dollar amount on a credit card when your balance drops below a set dollar amount.

1 minute ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

LOVE my Sunpass. I don't know how many times I've seen the tollbooths backed up. Just breezed right through the SunPass lanes, and there is a discount. Once you get it, be sure and go online and register your car tag and trailer tag. Then you can prepay an amount, then set it to load a certain dollar amount on a credit card when your balance drops below a set dollar amount.

Or you can set it to notify you when it drops below a certain amount, then you can log into your account and add $$ if you don't like utilizing auto payments.

There are certain places you can go and pay cash to add to your balance also.

I love the ease of using Sunpass,  The toll booths in the Orlando area are always backed up.  Either understaffed, or drivers deciding they want to ask directions, not speaking English, or are just lonely and like to chat.

I just hate the idea of having to pay tolls to get around, especially when the toll roads are as backed up as the nearby "free" streets! :lol:

We use it mainly when we go visit our daughter off the Beachline out past the airport.

2 minutes ago, keith_h said:

It'd be nice if Florida got itself compatible with EZ-Pass. Even though I don't use the local toll road we picked one up for the Ohio River toll bridge in Louisville and toll roads in Illinois that we hit when we go back and visit family.

Might want to make a couple of phone calls...

Can you use an EZ Pass in Florida?
A: Florida's Turnpike officials say Florida is ready to accept E-Z Pass, but the E-Z Pass states in the Northeast and Midwest aren't ready to accept SunPass. Congress has set a deadline of October 2016 for all toll systems to be compatible. Florida is compatible with Georgia and North Carolina.Nov 1, 2015

Where can I use my SunPass?
Transponders from Florida, Georgia and North Carolina now work in all three states. In Georgia, SunPass can be used now on Interstate 85 express lanes in Atlanta, and soon on up to 40 miles of new express lanes on I-75. In North Carolina, it can be used on the Triangle Expressway in the Raleigh area.Nov 12, 2014
Then to add to the confusion some of the FL tolls are called E-Pass and Sunpass works on them.

40 minutes ago, Travisma said:
Might want to make a couple of phone calls...

Can you use an EZ Pass in Florida?
A: Florida's Turnpike officials say Florida is ready to accept E-Z Pass, but the E-Z Pass states in the Northeast and Midwest aren't ready to accept SunPass. Congress has set a deadline of October 2016 for all toll systems to be compatible. Florida is compatible with Georgia and North Carolina.Nov 1, 2015

Where can I use my SunPass?
Transponders from Florida, Georgia and North Carolina now work in all three states. In Georgia, SunPass can be used now on Interstate 85 express lanes in Atlanta, and soon on up to 40 miles of new express lanes on I-75. In North Carolina, it can be used on the Triangle Expressway in the Raleigh area.Nov 12, 2014
Then to add to the confusion some of the FL tolls are called E-Pass and Sunpass works on them.

Well I went out to the NC site and they say any of their transponders will work in Georgia and Florida. So I withdraw my previous statement as far as NC goes. EZ Pass still isn't compatible.

Just now, keith_h said:

Well I went out to the NC site and they say any of their transponders will work in Georgia and Florida. So I withdraw my previous statement as far as NC goes. EZ Pass still isn't compatible.

That's why I highlighted the date.  That blurb said it does work.

Another Toll Organization page (not a government site) said EZ doesn't work in FL, and on the Sunpass page I didn't see any mention of EZ Pass.

I did see an E-ZPass Group web page, and they state that EZ Pass will not work in FL.

We're back to the 60's with Cassette Vs 8 Track!

26 minutes ago, Travisma said:

That's why I highlighted the date.  That blurb said it does work.

Another Toll Organization page (not a government site) said EZ doesn't work in FL, and on the Sunpass page I didn't see any mention of EZ Pass.

I did see an E-ZPass Group web page, and they state that EZ Pass will not work in FL.

We're back to the 60's with Cassette Vs 8 Track!

That was the federal mandate date but it didn't have any penalties for not meeting the target and you know what that means.

20 minutes ago, keith_h said:

That was the federal mandate date but it didn't have any penalties for not meeting the target and you know what that means.

In other countries it would be anarchy and riots in the streets!

Here it's just Meh.  

We are so used to corrupt politicians and ineffective government that we just don't give a darn anymore.

6 hours ago, keith_h said:

We have the peachpass and it works in GA, NC and FL.  We really appreciate the convenience of it.

22 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Not having to stop and pay a toll when hauling a family and 30 feet of trailer after 15 hours on the road.......priceless.

Agreed ☺

On 7/21/2017 at 11:55 AM, Travisma said:

We are so used to corrupt politicians and ineffective government that we just don't give a darn anymore.

Exactly.  Up here in Mass the Turnpike was supposed to go Toll-Free as soon as the original construction bonds were paid off...... that happened in the 1980's..... guess what? Still have the Tolls.... only now they have gotten rid of the Toll Takers and just have EZPass scanners everywhere. You would think that would lower the tolls right? HA!

I don't mind paying tolls on a privately built and owned road, but I do have a problem paying tolls on a public road. Either collect Tolls, or a Gas Tax, but not both.

Like the frog in the boiling water, we've become so used to increasing taxes and double taxation that we just yawn and are actually happy when they make it easier to have our hard earned money taken from us.  :deadweight: