Disney Cutting CM Hours

http://www.chipandco.com/disney-cutting-back-cast-members-hours-276620/

According to reports Disney is going to be cutting cast members hours as early as tomorrow!

The word on the street is that Disney is making adjustments to the shifts at its parks and resorts with changes going into effect starting Sunday July 23, 2017.  These cuts are slated to run until September 30, 2017 which is the end of Disney’s fiscal calendar.

Little is known as of yet as to what impact this will have on the customer experience though historically this has resulted in longer wait times at the attractions.

Cutbacks like this are not all that uncommon at the theme parks with the last notable round happening in early 2016 leading many to speculate that soaring costs at Shanghai Disney were having an effect on operations stateside.   Disney however has argued in the past that hours will typically fluctuate int the normal course of business. In a statement last year to the Orlando Sentinel they added “We continually refine our operations to be as efficient as possible while delivering an experience that exceeds the evolving expectations of our guests,” the company said in a statement.

22 hours ago, AuburnJen said:
22 hours ago, AuburnJen said:

Cutbacks like this are not all that uncommon at the theme parks with the last notable round happening in early 2016 leading many to speculate that soaring costs at Shanghai Disney were having an effect on operations stateside.   Disney however has argued in the past that hours will typically fluctuate int the normal course of business. In a statement last year to the Orlando Sentinel they added “We continually refine our operations to be as efficient as possible while delivering an experience that exceeds the evolving expectations of our guests,” the company said in a statement.

Beancounter speak for "we want higher profits and the customer will just have to suck it up"....

I know a lot of  customer service type companies (retail, fast food) no longer schedule full time employees for 40 hours.  Best Buy does either 37 or 38 so if you are stuck helping a customer, you don't go over 40 hours and get OT.

And part time employees always get the short end, either get their hours cut, or are called in on days off.

2 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I learned along time ago that there is only two ways for a company to make more money...

"increase revenue or cut expenses" 

i guess they figured they can't raise prices any higher so they decided to cut expenses. 

Lull before the storm.

Wait until Toy Story Land opens or the big $$$ maker Star Wars Land.  You'll see ticket/AP prices increase and jump up more than the normal yearly gouging.

I don't know whether one blog quoting another blog is proof of anything, but we've seen this reduction of CM work hours before, so it could be true.

One thing that's odd, though, is one of my daughters reported to me that Disney was on a recent hiring spree for part-time CM's in the past month.  My daughters have lots of friends who were trying to get CM gigs, but Disney wasn't hiring many, so these friends took jobs with third parties who operate on Disney property like Sunglass Hut and stores in Disney Springs.  But, in the last month, the hiring cranked up, and Disney itself hired a lot of part time help.  Maybe these new part-timers are paid less than full time CM's and will be working the hours that the full timers are losing?  That trick wasn't used the last time they cut hours.

TCD

36 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I don't know whether one blog quoting another blog is proof of anything, but we've seen this reduction of CM work hours before, so it could be true.

One thing that's odd, though, is one of my daughters reported to me that Disney was on a recent hiring spree for part-time CM's in the past month.  My daughters have lots of friends who were trying to get CM gigs, but Disney wasn't hiring many, so these friends took jobs with third parties who operate on Disney property like Sunglass Hut and stores in Disney Springs.  But, in the last month, the hiring cranked up, and Disney itself hired a lot of part time help.  Maybe these new part-timers are paid less than full time CM's and will be working the hours that the full timers are losing?  That trick wasn't used the last time they cut hours.

TCD

Most (not sure about Disney) companies don't offer any or very limited benefits to part timers.  They use them like cannon fodder. Call them in at a moments notice, or send them home if business is slow. They can have 3 part timers doing the same hours as a full time and ending up costing a company less than the 1 full time.

Plus no benefits other than maybe a merchandise discount.

38 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Most (not sure about Disney) companies don't offer any or very limited benefits to part timers.  They use them like cannon fodder. Call them in at a moments notice, or send them home if business is slow. They can have 3 part timers doing the same hours as a full time and ending up costing a company less than the 1 full time.

Plus no benefits other than maybe a merchandise discount.

Right.  But, a lot of the CM"s whose hours have been cut in the past were already part-time CM's.

It's odd that if they're cutting hours again, that they are hiring more CM's.  Maybe they figure some of the older part time CM's will walk.  Or, maybe they're so cheap that they want to save a dollar or fifty cents and hour by using new hires rather than veteran CM's.

It's also possible that they are going to use more part-time CM's in place of the college kids that they have relied on so heavily of late.

TCD

Fake news!  My buddy Andy has been a part timer for Disney for about 15 years and his hours are always going up and down.  One common reason has been an influx of College Program kids.  When a new crop comes in, his hours get cut.