JW Marriot Hotel to be built on WDW property

http://www.chipandco.com/new-luxury-jw-marriott-resort-coming-walt-disney-world-276887/

Disney World

We previously reported that there were rumors of a new Marriott resort coming to the Disney World area. Well, looks like that rumor might be coming true with word of plans filed for the a new JW Marriott on the corner of Epcot Center Drive and I-4 on Monday. Kimley Horn, a planning and engineering firm, filed the application on behalf of DCS Investments who purchased the land in 2012.

Plans call for a 16-story hotel with 516 rooms. The plans also state that there will be 50,000 square feet of meeting space, a rooftop bar, and signature restaurant.

This will be the second JW Marriott in the Orlando area. Their other hotel, JW Marriott Grande Lakes offers around 1,000 hotel rooms making it one of the largest hotels in the area.

That's interesting news.  That places it within the Bonnet Creek resort area, where the Wyndham, Hilton and more importantly, the Waldorf Astoria are located.  What's interesting to me is that another luxury hotel will go in here with the Waldorf Astoria.  While the Waldorf is certainly a cut above a JW Marriott on the luxury scale, the existing JW in Orlando is paired with a Ritz Carlton, which is another Marriott brand.  WA is a Hilton brand.  This all leads me to wonder what would be planned for the last remaining hotel site in Bonnet Creek, which sits immediately north of the proposed JW site per the sat image above.  A Ritz?  Does WDW need this many luxury hotel beds??  

On 7/25/2017 at 5:12 PM, DaveInTN said:

That's interesting news.  That places it within the Bonnet Creek resort area, where the Wyndham, Hilton and more importantly, the Waldorf Astoria are located.  What's interesting to me is that another luxury hotel will go in here with the Waldorf Astoria.  While the Waldorf is certainly a cut above a JW Marriott on the luxury scale, the existing JW in Orlando is paired with a Ritz Carlton, which is another Marriott brand.  WA is a Hilton brand.  This all leads me to wonder what would be planned for the last remaining hotel site in Bonnet Creek, which sits immediately north of the proposed JW site per the sat image above.  A Ritz?  Does WDW need this many luxury hotel beds??  

I'm all for this. As a former Marriott employee, I love seeing new hotels from them, especially their higher end. Also you state if we need more luxury hotel beds,......hell yes!   These hotels are great. Depending on the time of year or just in a blue moon, you can get a JW room for close to $100-$150 a night.  You will never even get port orleans that cheap...ever.  The wife and I did the JW at Grande Lakes for our anniversary and we got 3 nights for $350 through Trivago.  I remember when the Grand Floridian opened and they would give Florida residents a $79 a night discount. You will never see that again