Disney is lifting block out dates so people can ride Great Movie Ride and Energy Encounter in August

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/07/disney-lifting-annual-pass-block-dates-allow-one-last-ride-great-movie-ride-universe-energy/

Untitled-design-1200x675.png

While we don’t have the exact dates yet, Disney should be distributing that information to guests later this week. The adjusted block-out will allow these guests to enter Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios to ride the Universe of Energy and the Great Movie Ride one last time. Of course, guests will get to experience other things in the parks as well, not limited to these rides.

The Universe of Energy (Ellen’s Energy Adventure) and the Great Movie Ride both close forever on August 13th, 2017. The Universe of Energy will be replaced with a Guardians of the Galaxy thrill ride, while The Great Movie Ride will be replaced by Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway.

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I wonder if Platinum passholders will get a refund since the parks will now be inundated with those Silver people?  Platinum passholders pay more to avoid that nastiness.

Eww.

No offense.

TCD

I'm in no rush to go to WDW in August!

We much prefer the cooler months where it takes about a 1/2  hour to work up a sweat instead of the 30 seconds during the Summer Blastfurnace blackout dates!!

Gold has blackout dates also.  Were they just around Christmas and Spring Breaks?

14 minutes ago, Travisma said:

UPDATE: Silver and Weekday Select Annual Pass will have access to all 4 Walt Disney World theme parks starting August 1st. Weekday Select passes still will not admit guests on weekends, however.

Wow, things must be bad at WDW.

They upped AP discounts on food at some of their fanciest full service restaurants, are dumping resort rooms on Priceline and Hotwire, and now they're lifting blockout dates.  They are looking for some quick cash.

TCD

10 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

They upped AP discounts on food at some of their fanciest full service restaurants, are dumping resort rooms on Priceline and Hotwire, and now they're lifting blockout dates.  They are looking for some quick cash.

TCD

Two words.....Sea.  Crest.  

Maybe Volcano Bay is making a dent in attendance?  I don't think there's anything else new at Universal is there?

Or else everyone has decided that Disney Springs is the new in place and you don't have to pay to go to the parks.

We were there 2 weekends ago and it was mobbed.  We arrived by boat, and made it as far as the bus station and left.

16 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

This was the World Showcase around 12:30 on Saturday July 22nd:

88Y1O4el.jpg

19 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I like the guests standing in the shade to the right looking at their park map and realizing that there's nothing to do at Epcot when there's not a festival going on.

TCD

I'd love to be there right now, in a crowd less Epcot, drenched in sweat walking from one country's air conditioning to another.

Sounds pretty great to me, and much better than working on these TPS reports.

WBI

33 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I like the guests standing in the shade to the right looking at their park map and realizing that there's nothing to do at Epcot when there's not a festival going on.

TCD

That's about what they were doing.  We enjoyed the empty park though, and got to see Universe of Energy before it closes.  The Frozen ride had a 40 minute wait, and Sorain was 35 minutes.  Funny thing is, we left around 3:00PM as heavy rains were moving in and there were a lot of people entering the park along with the rain.

I'm definitely going to get a few last rides in on Ellen's Energy Adventure.  The last time we rode, we each had our own row to ourselves.  I don't think I've ever been on that ride where the ride vehicles were full.  My daughters and I were joking the other day that the CM's on that ride are not going to know what to do when they actually have to group and seat guests.

TCD

40 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I'm definitely going to get a few last rides in on Ellen's Energy Adventure.  The last time we rode, we each had our own row to ourselves.  I don't think I've ever been on that ride where the ride vehicles were full.  My daughters and I were joking the other day that the CM's on that ride are not going to know what to do when they actually have to group and seat guests.

TCD

Last time we rode it, we had to get off not too long after it started.  They kept having announcements about remaining seated during the ride.

We didn't see anything going on in our section of seats.  

Does it have multiple seating sections like Carousel?  Maybe someone in a different section decided to get off while it was moving?  

After we got sent out they blocked all pathways to the ride, and wouldn't even allow us back in the side entrance to Innoventions.

54 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Does it have multiple seating sections like Carousel?  Maybe someone in a different section decided to get off while it was moving?  

The ride vehicles are the same as used on the Great Movie Ride, so I think there is the capability of having multiple sets of vehicles traveling through the ride at the same time.  I doubt that they typically have enough demand to warrant that, but that must have been what was happening on the day you rode.

TCD

Just got back from a quick run over to Studios to get on the Great Movie Ride one more time before the weekend.  The park was somewhat crowded.  We waited about 30 minutes to get on.  Nice to see it one more time and I was able to grab some final pictures and videos.  

• 3 weeks later...

The TCD gang chose to visit the Great Movie Ride on its last night, so we visited Ellen's Energy Adventure/Universe of Energy on Saturday night, about 24 hours before the final performance. 

For the first (and last) time ever, we actually stood in a queue outside for about 10 minutes before we were admitted to the pre-show room.  The room was pretty full- fuller than we had ever seen it, but there was room for more guests in the room.  They used to let guests in during the preshow, but for the last weekend some genius manager decided to give extra punishment to the guests who came for one last ride by holding everyone who arrived after the pre-show outside on a hot August day. Thus the lines.

They were only using the outer two ride vehicles- leaving the middle one empty. Thus, they were only operating at 2/3 capacity.  There would have been no line and lots of empty seats if they were running all three vehicles, and letting guests in during the pre-show.

While I hate to see an original Epcot attraction go, I am not going to miss this one in the sad condition that it's currently in. 

RIP Stupid Judy, Bill Nye, Alex Trebek, and Ellen.

TCD