• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this.

WOW what an eye opener.

Change/progress is inevitable, but in my opinion this video showed WDW in it's prime.

No crowds (maybe camera angles) and roped off areas.

Lots more live street performers and shows.

Explosions and gun shots in Pirates (besides the cannons) and a pistol packing skipper on the Jungle Cruise.

No hoards of flag waving, chanting tour groups.

20,000 Leagues in all it's glory.

Tons of things to do/experience at Future World in EPCOT.

Abundant greenery at the Fort and a lot more watercraft.

And a popcorn vendor telling Lexie to had a Good Day and not a Magical Day (when did that phrase get started?)

It's sad/depressing to see how the bean counters have slowly (now sped up) over the years chipped away at Walt's vision and made WDW into a place to suck every last cent away from guests.

Just my 2 cents worth.

We honeymooned at Disney in 1980 and have been back many times since then.  I agree, Disney was much better during that time.  It's nice to be able to ride the rides multiple times, but there was something to be said about having the tickets.  Things were less planned and more spontaneous.  Definitely a little slower pace. 

The fastpasses are nice, but I would like to go back to the days without them.  It seems that you are planning your days around 3 rides.  If you don't use them you will never to get on the main attractions.

I agree that change is inevitable, but I think that a lot of the changes made are not something that Walt would like.  They need to get back to the street performers and the shows.  It's more than the rides, it's the experience.

20 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Wow.  That video really proves that you don't know what you have until it's gone.  It's amazing to see how much live entertainment there used to be at WDW.

TCD

Live entertainment costs $$$.  Bean counters say boo hoo.

Robots are cheap, just ask people that used to work on Detroit assembly lines! Bean Counters do a happy dance :bananas:

And could you imagine nowadays putting a live animal on a guest? 

Lawyers would be rubbing their hands together like Snidely Whiplash in the old cartoons in anticipation of the huge settlement because Mitzy got parrot poop on her new dress.

One of the reasons the Petting Zoo went away.

6 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Live entertainment costs $$$.  Bean counters say boo hoo.

Robots are cheap, just ask people that used to work on Detroit assembly lines! Bean Counters do a happy dance :bananas:

And could you imagine nowadays putting a live animal on a guest? 

Lawyers would be rubbing their hands together like Snidely Whiplash in the old cartoons in anticipation of the huge settlement because Mitzy got parrot poop on her new dress.

One of the reasons the Petting Zoo went away.

Absolutely right.

Like I said, it's amazing how much there used to be, and how much is gone.

But, I am sure the profit margins today are astronomically better than they were in the 1980's, and that's all that matters to management now.

And, there's no way what is gone will ever be back.

Sad.

TCD

Just now, Tri-Circle-D said:

Absolutely right.

Like I said, it's amazing how much there used to be, and how much is gone.

But, I am sure the profit margins today are astronomically better than they were in the 1980's, and that's all that matters to management now.

And, there's no way what is gone will ever be back.

Sad.

TCD

Dessert Parties are the way of the future!

People eat maybe $5 worth of dessert, and pay $60.

What a bargain.

I'm sure every once in a while someone will take them to the cleaners and actually eat their moneys worth.

Look at the recent cuts in entertainment, the band over by Country Bears, and the guy on main Street.

Soon they will use a mannequin for Tinkerbells flight to save $$$.

25 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Dessert Parties are the way of the future!

Dessert parties.

Before and after the park opens parties.

Holiday parties that extend out 60+ days from the actual holiday.

Tours, tours and more tours.

Festivals with "temporary" booths.

Dining Plans.

Tables in Wonderland Cards.

Passes with blockout dates.

Minnie Vans.

DVC

DVC

DVC

Like Walt said- If you can dream it, you can do it.

TCD

Like Walt said- If you can dream it, you can do it.

Disney bean counters don't follow Walt's Dream, they follow PT Barnum's philosophy "There's a sucker born every minute!" ( I know he might not actually have said that but it's associated with him.)

And if people want to throw $$ at those things more power to them and the people that came up with those schemes.  

Just don't shortchange the average Joes !