24 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

The burn ban:   is it still a no-no to use your grill?  We're not there for 2 more months but,,,curious if it's been lifted yet.   

Avatar:  we know NOTHING about this story line.  Should we still try and ride the ride??  Is it scary?

The fire ban was lifted on June 7th:

There are two rides in Pandora: The World of Avatar.

The boat ride, Navi River Journey,  is a typical Disney dark boat ride- not scary at all.

Flight of Passage is intense, but not scary.

You don't need to know a thing about the movie to enjoy the land and the rides.

TCD

8 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The fire ban was lifted on June 7th:

There are two rides in Pandora: The World of Avatar.

The boat ride, Navi River Journey,  is a typical Disney dark boat ride- not scary at all.

Flight of Passage is intense, but not scary.

You don't need to know a thing about the movie to enjoy the land and the rides.

TCD

Thank you.

We finally watched the movie about a month ago, it was pretty good. Honestly I think it was less violent and creepy then the first Indiana Jones movie and it was a PG. (Side not I really like Indiana Jones classic movies)

13 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

We finally watched the movie about a month ago, it was pretty good. Honestly I think it was less violent and creepy then the first Indiana Jones movie and it was a PG. (Side not I really like Indiana Jones classic movies)

Hmm..interesting, thank you.   What exactly is the story line?

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Hmm..interesting, thank you.   What exactly is the story line?

Here's a relatively spoiler free synopsis from the IMBD website:

When his brother is killed in a robbery, paraplegic Marine Jake Sully decides to take his place in a mission on the distant world of Pandora. There he learns of greedy corporate figurehead Parker Selfridge's intentions of driving off the native humanoid "Na'vi" in order to mine for the precious material scattered throughout their rich woodland. In exchange for the spinal surgery that will fix his legs, Jake gathers intel for the cooperating military unit spearheaded by gung-ho Colonel Quaritch, while simultaneously attempting to infiltrate the Na'vi people with the use of an "avatar" identity. While Jake begins to bond with the native tribe and quickly falls in love with the beautiful alien Neytiri, the restless Colonel moves forward with his ruthless extermination tactics, forcing the soldier to take a stand - and fight back in an epic battle for the fate of Pandora.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/

A couple of things not mentioned in the synopsis:  A lot of the movie features views of the Pandora landscape, which has bioluminescent plants, strange animals, and floating mountains.  I think this beautiful scenery was what made the movie so popular.  Also, the character Jake was the first human/avatar who was able to fly on the back of a Ikran (banshee), which is a big deal to the Na'vi (giant blue people).  Don't let your kids watch this.  Not that they would want to- it's pretty boring.  But, there are some odd/disturbing alien romantic scenes.

All you need to know in order to visit the new land in Animal Kingdom is that the bad humans left Pandora generations ago, and now an Eco-tour group from Earth is allowing humans to visit Pandora.  So, we get to see the beautiful strange landscape of the planet, and see some of its animal life on the river ride, and we get a chance to become avatars and fly on the back of banshees in Flight of Passage.  All of the scenery around the new land features ruins from the actions of humans on the planet years ago.  So, you'll see abandoned, crumbling buildings, and abandoned weapons and machinery scattered around.

TCD

There is definitely no burn ban.  We were walking around the Fort on Saturday and there is a LOT of standing water.  Last night in Clermont we got over an inch and a half of rain.  Not sure of what they got at Disney, but it would only add to what's there.  We check in on Wednesday so I'm hoping for some dry weather, but it doesn't look like it.  We've had a lot of rain lately.  Beats worrying about a fire.

23 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Here's a relatively spoiler free synopsis from the IMBD website:

When his brother is killed in a robbery, paraplegic Marine Jake Sully decides to take his place in a mission on the distant world of Pandora. There he learns of greedy corporate figurehead Parker Selfridge's intentions of driving off the native humanoid "Na'vi" in order to mine for the precious material scattered throughout their rich woodland. In exchange for the spinal surgery that will fix his legs, Jake gathers intel for the cooperating military unit spearheaded by gung-ho Colonel Quaritch, while simultaneously attempting to infiltrate the Na'vi people with the use of an "avatar" identity. While Jake begins to bond with the native tribe and quickly falls in love with the beautiful alien Neytiri, the restless Colonel moves forward with his ruthless extermination tactics, forcing the soldier to take a stand - and fight back in an epic battle for the fate of Pandora.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/

A couple of things not mentioned in the synopsis:  A lot of the movie features views of the Pandora landscape, which has bioluminescent plants, strange animals, and floating mountains.  I think this beautiful scenery was what made the movie so popular.  Also, the character Jake was the first human/avatar who was able to fly on the back of a Ikran (banshee), which is a big deal to the Na'vi (giant blue people).  Don't let your kids watch this.  Not that they would want to- it's pretty boring.  But, there are some odd/disturbing alien romantic scenes.

All you need to know in order to visit the new land in Animal Kingdom is that the bad humans left Pandora generations ago, and now an Eco-tour group from Earth is allowing humans to visit Pandora.  So, we get to see the beautiful strange landscape of the planet, and see some of its animal life on the river ride, and we get a chance to become avatars and fly on the back of banshees in Flight of Passage.  All of the scenery around the new land features ruins from the actions of humans on the planet years ago.  So, you'll see abandoned, crumbling buildings, and abandoned weapons and machinery scattered around.

TCD

Thank you Andrew... that's really, really helpful.

22 hours ago, djsamuel said:

There is definitely no burn ban.  We were walking around the Fort on Saturday and there is a LOT of standing water.  Last night in Clermont we got over an inch and a half of rain.  Not sure of what they got at Disney, but it would only add to what's there.  We check in on Wednesday so I'm hoping for some dry weather, but it doesn't look like it.  We've had a lot of rain lately.  Beats worrying about a fire.

Hmmm... here's to hoping that the rain is gone, by October ^_^

5 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

There's a pretty good bit of violence in the movie... more than I remembered. 

Thanks.  We really don't have any desire to see it...honestly, at this time, we have no desire to visit that part of AK, which is good..one less "must do" ?

If you ever saw Kevin Costner in "Dances with Wolves" then you have already seen "Avatar".....

Basically the story's message (in both movies) is: Natives are good, Humans are bad, Military Humans are especially bad.

That said, It does have great special effects and scenery but as noted above it does have some adult scenes and violence.

On our next trip I would like also like to see it glowing at night and try the rides at least once each.