Disney pulling movies from Netflix

Can't say I'm surprised. Why share the profits if you don't have to, and if you have a big enough catalog to stand on your own.

But apparently investors didn't see this one coming...

ESPN has been losing TV subscribers for a few years and an online standalone product has been predicted for months, but ending a distribution agreement with Netflix beginning with the 2019 theatrical slate caught investors off guard, and Netflix shares quickly sunk 4 percent on the news in after-hours trading.

Disney CEO Bob Iger called the initiatives "a strategic shift in the way we distribute our content."

Disney made the announcements Tuesday while reporting quarterly earnings.

Shares of the conglomerate were falling 3 percent in after-hours trading after it reported quarterly revenue of $14.2 billion, about $180 million less than Wall Street expected. Profit, though, came in at $1.58 per share, three cents more than projected.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-pull-movies-netflix-launch-streaming-service-1027793

Disney seems to be investing heavenly in connected devices recently with their recent Circle device, and the release of their own set top box.  My guess is they will update those set top devices, and up date their mobile video app to include a subscription service to their video content. 

14 hours ago, keith_h said:

Well that marriage didn't last long. Disney is reportedly pulling their movies from Netflix to go it on their own.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/disney-will-pull-its-movies-from-netflix-and-start-its-own-streaming-services.html

That's a bummer....

On a different note, we (ironically) signed up for Netflix while staying at Disney, back in 2012 or 2013.

45 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I think Disney is overestimating how many people are going to pay more $$$ for a Disney-only streaming service. 

Greed is not good.

TCD

My guess is their looking at this from the perspective of the Disney cable channel not realizing that what works in medium one doesn't crossover well to the other. The same goes for their ESPN offering. I think they recognize that the cable channels are in a long term decline due to chord cutting. I don't believe they grasp that even if they keep all of their subscribers streaming is a lower revenue per customer model and they will have to grow their base dramatically to break even. The alternative is they stick with the idea that they are a premium service deserving of premium subscription fees and fall flat on their face. They are also going to have to pickup their game on IT infrastructure and management as customers won't put up with a service that runs like their websites do. I haven't looked at the details but if they don't also make deals with all of the device makers (phone, computer, disc players, TV's, streaming boxes, etc) to install their client app they won't get far either.

28 minutes ago, keith_h said:

They are also going to have to pickup their game on IT infrastructure and management as customers won't put up with a service that runs like their websites do.

This is a very valid point.

I've always said that the chickens will come home to roost.  I doubt there is anyone out there who has not been frustrated by Disney's websites and apps.  Now, they want people to pay for some new technology they're going to roll out?  Good luck with that.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I think Disney is overestimating how many people are going to pay more $$$ for a Disney-only streaming service. 

Greed is not good.

TCD

I think they'll include ESPN broadcasts and ABC shows.... they could grow from there. 

I remember when Disney Channel was a cable channel you paid extra for.

When we got cable back after quite a few years lapse, it was free.

What caused that change?

Will that model be coming back, an extra charge for all the Disney related channels?

I will not pay extra to watch old Disney movies, when I can watch them on my DVDs, and watching them streaming on a phone is not appealing to me.

Even watching TV/movies on a tablet is excruciating.

I guess I'll keep buying used Disney DVDs from Goodwill to fill up my collection.

They launched the Disney life steaming service in the UK shortly before I left, so I didn't really look at it.  I do have some friends who were talking about it but don't know if they tried it.

I don't think they dropped Disney movies from the netflix UK region though. There may have been less disney movies on the UK side to begin with, so may have been more of a market for it over there. Plus the Disney Movies Anywhere service doesn't exist in the UK.  

I would presume the Disney streaming app will be available on roku/firetv/xbox etc. The movies anywhere app already is.  

Most disney movies I've bought over the last few years have been US blu rays and have come with the digital copy. I quite like the way Disney have set this up, so that purchased digital movies are available through Amazon and Google Play.  Although it's the third party site that currently does most of the work.

Disney has an interesting vertical stack play. Extensive movie library, live sports and network TV. They are well positioned to attack this media approach. However I, like some of you, question the plausibility of the delivery model.

More importantly, I question the timing. Bob I leaves payroll in 2019.  This boondoggle, and promise of future profits, might be enough to distract and keep his legacy sparkling. 

2 hours ago, slices said:

They launched the Disney life steaming service in the UK shortly before I left, so I didn't really look at it.  I do have some friends who were talking about it but don't know if they tried it.

I don't think they dropped Disney movies from the netflix UK region though. There may have been less disney movies on the UK side to begin with, so may have been more of a market for it over there. Plus the Disney Movies Anywhere service doesn't exist in the UK.  

I would presume the Disney streaming app will be available on roku/firetv/xbox etc. The movies anywhere app already is.  

Most disney movies I've bought over the last few years have been US blu rays and have come with the digital copy. I quite like the way Disney have set this up, so that purchased digital movies are available through Amazon and Google Play.  Although it's the third party site that currently does most of the work.

Now the digital copy that comes with the purchase of a DVD goes on Disney Movies Anywhere site.  I used to have them in my Flixster account, but they sucked them all away when they started their own site.

Are you talking about the movies being on Amazon if you only purchased the digital download?

If you link your Movies anywhere account with Amazon,  they show up your your Amazon video account as well. Useful for my fire tv stick.  When I did it they were offering a purchase of Monsters Inc free if you linked an account.  Doesn't make any difference if it's a digital only copy or a hard copy, or that matter whether it's an amazon or a disney purchase.  This was especily useful when I moved and hadn't unpacked my DVDs.

19 minutes ago, slices said:

If you link your Movies anywhere account with Amazon,  they show up your your Amazon video account as well. Useful for my fire tv stick.  When I did it they were offering a purchase of Monsters Inc free if you linked an account.  Doesn't make any difference if it's a digital only copy or a hard copy, or that matter whether it's an amazon or a disney purchase.  This was especily useful when I moved and hadn't unpacked my DVDs.

good to know.  thanks

Something to consider,

There are more people using the HBO go app than watch shows over cable...

Hulu, NetFlix, YouTube Red, and Amazon Video stream more hours of programming each day than cable, and satellite companies do in a year.   I have over 60 channels of over the air tv at my house today, where 3 years ago i had 12.  People are not keeping their cable service, to make it work Disney will have to make whatever service they provide able to integrate into the current set top boxes people currently stream to (Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Chrome Cast, ect)

Well this is interesting...

AUGUST 11, 2017 / 6:05 AM / 2 HOURS AGO

Netflix discussing keeping Disney's Marvel, 'Star Wars' films

Lisa Richwine

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Netflix Inc (NFLX.O) is in "active discussions" with Walt Disney Co (DIS.N) about keeping Marvel and "Star Wars" films after 2019, when new Disney and Pixar movies will stop appearing on the streaming service, a senior executive said late on Thursday.

Disney announced on Tuesday that it was pulling new Disney and Pixar films from Netflix, starting with new releases in 2019. It will start putting the movies on a new Disney-branded online service that year.

Disney Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger told analysts the company had not yet decided where it would distribute superhero films from Marvel Studios and movies from "Star Wars" producer Lucasfilm, which the company owns, at that time.

Netflix is still in discussions with Disney about retaining rights to stream Marvel and Lucasfilm releases after 2019, Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos told Reuters.

Shares of Netflix were up 1.3 percent at $171.41 in afternoon trading after falling 5 percent in the two days following Disney's announcement.

A Disney spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Iger said on Tuesday that the Marvel and Lucasfilm movies could go to Netflix or another streaming service after 2019, or Disney might retain the rights for itself.

Sarandos said he expected Disney's service to be "complementary" to Netflix, which carries other family-friendly programing such as animated movies from "Despicable Me" creator Illumination Entertainment and "Shrek" producer Dreamworks Animation.

Disney's plan to stream its content directly to consumers is "a natural evolution" for traditional media companies that Netflix expected, Sarandos said in an interview at an event to celebrate Emmy nominations for his company's drama, "The Crown."

"That's why we got into the originals business five years ago, anticipating it may be not as easy a conversation with studios and networks" to license their content, he added.

Disney's break from Netflix applies only to its film deal in the United States, where the streaming service runs new Disney movies shortly after they leave theaters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-disney-netflix-idUSKBN1AR0V0

On 8/9/2017 at 8:05 PM, bdm said:

Something to consider,

There are more people using the HBO go app than watch shows over cable...

Hulu, NetFlix, YouTube Red, and Amazon Video stream more hours of programming each day than cable, and satellite companies do in a year.   I have over 60 channels of over the air tv at my house today, where 3 years ago i had 12.  People are not keeping their cable service, to make it work Disney will have to make whatever service they provide able to integrate into the current set top boxes people currently stream to (Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Chrome Cast, ect)

My problem is the DVRV. We have roku, appletv, Chrome cast, Netflix, and 40 AIR channels.  But not having a dvr or consolidated program guide is I convenient. There are solutions, but they are piecemeal and not as eloquent. Once I retire, and my time is once again my own, I will probably think d8fferently.

2 hours ago, keith_h said:

Your time is always your own. It is just how you wish to use it. ;)

Unless you've discovered a utopian existence (fully funded retirement, royal inheritance, pharmaceuticals,etc), "Wish" is probably not the best word.  I "wish" I could spend all my time vacationing at disneyworld.  Until I find a way to do that for free, I "have" to trade my time / skill set for renumeration. That r enumeration in turn allows me to do things I "wish".

8 hours ago, caveat lector said:

My problem is the DVRV. We have roku, appletv, Chrome cast, Netflix, and 40 AIR channels.  But not having a dvr or consolidated program guide is I convenient. There are solutions, but they are piecemeal and not as eloquent. Once I retire, and my time is once again my own, I will probably think d8fferently.

Check out Plex,  Its a client server solution.  On the plex server you can load your own media (photos, music, video) then add "channels" Such as youtube, Discovery, HBO, Amazon Video ect ect..  They also have over the air dvr using a simple device called a HD HomeRun box.  

Then on your TV you can use the plex client, most modern "smart TVs" have the ability to load the plex app, I run simple Raspberry Pi clients on my TVs.  They also have iOS and Android apps that let you control you TVs or watch the content on your phone in your house, or over the internet when on the go.

We have Hundreds of Movies on our plex server, and THOUSANDS of TV shows.  It works out great when traveling because I can stream my content or watch live tv in my home down on my phone, or on my smart TV in my camper (as long as i have wifi)

Oh and Plex is 100% free software.

• 5 weeks later...

Not a big surprise.  If you're a Netflix customer, watch 'em while you can!

‘Star Wars,’ Marvel Films Moving From Netflix to Disney Streaming Service

Disney CEO Bob Iger on Thursday delivered a blow to Netflix, saying the company had decided to move Marvel and “Star Wars” films to its forthcoming streaming service, set to launch in 2019.

The announcement ends speculation about what would happen to the Marvel and Lucasfilm titlescurrently being streamed on Netflix. When the Walt Disney Company announced last month that it would launch a Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service, Iger said Disney and Pixar movies on Netflix would move to the planned streaming service.

“We’ve now decided we will put the Marvel and ‘Star Wars’ movies on this app as well,” Iger said during a question-and-answer session at Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media’s communications and entertainment conference held at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel.

Iger also narrowed the time frame when the Disney streaming service will launch, saying he expects it will go live in late 2019. The announcement of a streaming platform signaled Disney felt ready to compete in the digital streaming space that Netflix has dominated in recent years. Netflix has been ramping up its original offerings in an effort to reduce its dependency on licensing content like Disney hits “Zootopia,” “Finding Dory,” and “Rogue One.”

Shortly after Disney announced its plans, Netflix hit back by poaching ABC Television hitmaker Shonda Rhimes in an exclusive overall deal. Rhimes, the “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Scandal” creator, has spent more then a decade at Disney’s ABC. The development came amid negotiations between Disney and Netflix over the streaming rights to Marvel and Lucasfilm titles.

Iger offered a few more details Thursday about its streaming service, saying Disney plans to produce four or five original movies per year, as well as an equal number of original series and TV movies. A price for the subscription has not yet been announced.

Investors didn’t seem to be cheered by Iger’s announcement. Disney shares were down about 4% in midday trading after the news broke, on what has so far been a down day overall for the Dow and S&P 500 indexes.

Netflix shares, on the other hand, were not hurt by the Disney news, nor did they see a bounce. Shares were up about 30 cents, or less than 1%, in midday trading. 

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/star-wars-marvel-movies-disney-streaming-service-1202549993/

With Disney's history of poor IT implementations I don't understand how Iger thinks this is a good idea. He'd be better off if Disney bought Netflix and let them run the streaming business as an independent subsidiary. It would also be good for Netflix as while they've had a few decent self produced shows most of their stuff could use the production expertise of the Disney film houses. 

46 minutes ago, keith_h said:

With Disney's history of poor IT implementations I don't understand how Iger thinks this is a good idea. He'd be better off if Disney bought Netflix and let them run the streaming business as an independent subsidiary. It would also be good for Netflix as while they've had a few decent self produced shows most of their stuff could use the production expertise of the Disney film houses. 

Excellent point!  Why recreate the wheel when these days, the wheel is probably for sale for the right price.