WHAT THE FORT?

I dont recall a thread about this but the main drag through the fort is torn out. From 600 to 800 there is no pavement and a few places are dug up. They have a few pumps running. Its a mess. Would hate to be the people camping near those pumps.

4e50fb1672de9ee58e92ac59a4def8e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that we are in a site and situated I was able to talk to one of the temporary van drivers. He said that the employees were told that the repairs wiuld be done in 3 days. Then he laughed. When I asked if it was going to be done before the holidays he saos he dodnt think it would. He said that there hs not been a lot of movement on the repairs.

25 minutes ago, caveat lector said:

I like seeing the company spend money on the Fort. Just hope it doesn't mess up any bodies vacation.

But this kind of repair (underground utilities and roadway) is one very big reason why their up keep and maintenance costs for the FORT are not cheaper than a resort.  Once you start digging these issues can multiply, you don't actually know what the problem really is until then.

5 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Yep, and some of that infrastructure is 40-50 yrs old.  The demands of campers have changed slightly

They purchased the land in 63-65 and the planning for the fort wasn't far behind.  it opened with the park, so figure 68/69ish for the build.  That is a long time for utilities to last.

16 hours ago, tim5055 said:

They purchased the land in 63-65 and the planning for the fort wasn't far behind.  it opened with the park, so figure 68/69ish for the build.  That is a long time for utilities to last.

Wasn't the Fort or at least parts of it built before the MK and other resorts? I thought I remembered reading somewhere, maybe even here that some of the people working on the MK And resorts stayed at the Fort while they were building.

3 hours ago, rtguy007 said:

I thought the fort opened on November 19, 1971. We have been keeping an eye on that because we are planning to check in that day in 2021 when the fort officially turns 50. Am I wrong on that date?

It did open November 19, 1971 and I was being a little generic when I said it opened with the park.

9 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Wasn't the Fort or at least parts of it built before the MK and other resorts? I thought I remembered reading somewhere, maybe even here that some of the people working on the MK And resorts stayed at the Fort while they were building.

The Magic Kingdom, Contemporary, Poly Golf Resort (now Shades of Green) and the Fort were all built basically concurrently to the best of my knowledge.  I've neverheard of it being used for contractor housing.

We were told that the problem they started digging for in June is larger than they thought and taking much longer than anticipated.  It is also causing issues in other locations as well.  We had some "water" regurgitate through the manhole next to our site during our July-August trip.  The smell was not pleasant, but it was addressed and resolved quickly at our location in the 2000 loop. The staff told us that the problem was related to the roadwork.  We heard of similar things happening in other locations.  Don't know much about infrastructure, but it sounded like the problem is getting bigger and harder to solve.