High airline prices for Christmas

Has anyone else noticed how high flights are to Orlando this Christmas?

We are going to WDW this Christmas and I've been looking for weeks for airline tickets.  I have not been able to find a roundtrip ticket for less than $650/ person. 

I checked what we paid last year for our tickets and we paid $350/ person.  I also checked previous years and we've never paid more than $350.  Do you have any idea why they are so high this year?

On 8/17/2017 at 7:41 PM, h2odivers...Ray said:

Has anyone else noticed how high flights are to Orlando this Christmas?

We are going to WDW this Christmas and I've been looking for weeks for airline tickets.  I have not been able to find a roundtrip ticket for less than $650/ person. 

I checked what we paid last year for our tickets and we paid $350/ person.  I also checked previous years and we've never paid more than $350.  Do you have any idea why they are so high this year?

What about into Tampa or Sarasota/Bradenton or St Pete/Clearwater, then renting a car?

Would that be less expensive?

All would be less than a 2 hour drive.

6 minutes ago, Travisma said:

What about into Tampa or Sarasota/Bradenton or St Pete/Clearwater, then renting a car?

Would that be less expensive?

All would be less than a 2 hour drive.

I've checked Tampa airport and it's not cheaper especially by the time you rent a car. But I haven't tried Sarasota airport I'll try that this afternoon thanks for the suggestion.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

There's a smaller airport NE of Orlando called Sanford, again it's bargain airlines mostly.

That's the airport we will probably be flying out of.  So far Allegiant airlines has the best price and scheduled return flight to Tulsa Oklahoma.    I have to look into transportation to there.   As we won't have a rental car. 

41 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

That's the airport we will probably be flying out of.  So far Allegiant airlines has the best price and scheduled return flight to Tulsa Oklahoma.    I have to look into transportation to there.   As we won't have a rental car. 

Just be careful with Allegiant. They have horrible records for cancelling flights and maintenance issues. 

24 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Just be careful with Allegiant. They have horrible records for cancelling flights and maintenance issues. 

Thanks for the info.  I haven't heard that before.   But we will have 12 people with us. And Allegiant is $85 cheaper per person. 

1 hour ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Seems like a lot of airlines have been having maintenance or other issues the past couple of months.

Seen lots of FB posts about sitting on runways, delayed flights, cancelled flights, etc.

Makes me feel better flying standby and seeing paying customers having the same issues! :P

It's not worth saving $85 a ticket to fly Allegiant.

The Tampa Bay Times wrote a big expose on them last year: http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2016/investigations/allegiant-air/mechanical-breakdowns/

And it seems like there's at least one article a month reporting on serious issues with Allegiant.

Just last month, they were operating a plane with no working AC, and had to return to the airport because passengers were passing out: http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/airlines/allegiant-air-flights-with-no-ac-caused-some-passengers-to-pass-out/2330473

In March of this year, this article reported how there were three flights where serious engine trouble and fires were experienced: http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/airlines/two-allegiant-air-flights-suffer-engine-fires-6-days-apart-including-one/2319459

It is only a matter of time before something really bad happens.

Forget that.

TCD

The only low-cost airline I've ever flown is Southwest airlines. And I'm not a big fan of theirs. I will definitely do some more research on allegiant Airlines.     If it was just me, DW, and DD flying I wouldn't even be thinking about saving the $85. But there are 12 of us and at $85 each  that's $1020. And that's why I'm trying to find the cheapest flights I can. 

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

See the links I posted above.  Sub-standard service is one thing.  Flying planes despite mechanical problems is something else. 

You could not pay me to fly Allegiant.

TCD

I will definitely read your links before deciding on flying with allegiant. 

And  after reading everyone's comments I'm leaning towards the not flying with allegiant side.   

1 hour ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Just wanted to add about the smaller low cost airlines.  When there is something wrong with them they can delay you for days because they don't have numerous flights per day or numerous planes to reschedule you on.  Just something to think about.

WBI

If that was to happen to us it would cost us more than we saved. Definitely food for thought. 

Thank you 

2 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Just passing on what I see daily in the travel agent groups I am in. I see occasional posts about other airlines but Allegiant is constantly popping up. 

Thank you. I appreciate your expertise in this matter.Thank you. I appreciate your expertise in this matter.

10 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

The only low-cost airline I've ever flown is Southwest airlines. And I'm not a big fan of theirs. I will definitely do some more research on allegiant Airlines.     If it was just me, DW, and DD flying I wouldn't even be thinking about saving the $85. But there are 12 of us and at $85 each  that's $1020. And that's why I'm trying to find the cheapest flights I can. 

If you think Southwest is bad, you really don't want to know about true low-cost airlines.

TCD