We were at The Fort for Halloween in 2015; our kiddos were 3.5 and 8 at the time.  For our family, some of the decorations were too scary. It's ironic that you define them as something more geared towards Universal as that was our thoughts exactly.

Having said that, we were able to find 3 loops, that were right next to one another, with G rated decorations and our kiddos had a blast.  

As people said it varies. The last time we were at the Fort around Halloween the people across the road from us had your more ghoulish decorations including a noise activated popup skeleton hidden next to the garbage cans. Thankfully they turned it off at night or when they were away. The rest of the loop were your typical blowup stuff you see at Walmart or home improvement store.

We were in the 900 loop last year and there was a group there that decided to turn it in to a "haunted loop" They had some decorations out that were more "universal like" and people to jump out and scare you. It was neat to see (the first time) but I'm glad they were on the other side of the loop from us. It appeared they had a half dozen or so out in costume scaring people.

For what it's worth, back when the lazy Fort Wilderness managers didn't decide to cut corners and not publish rules for the campground, the campsite decorating rules specifically stated that decorations had to be family friendly:

113014634_zpsf3e31b1f.jpg

Of course, in order to save a few pennies, they don't publish or pass out written rules anymore.

Now, it's left to the inconsistent discretion of the Rangers, maintenance workers, or whoever what is and is not allowed.

I believe that the official policy is do whatever you want.  If something bothers you, you can call the front desk, and they will offer to move you, or they will send out a series of castmembers in trucks and vans to observe the situation and do nothing.

TCD

56 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

For what it's worth, back when the lazy Fort Wilderness managers didn't decide to cut corners and not publish rules for the campground, the campsite decorating rules specifically stated that decorations had to be family friendly:

113014634_zpsf3e31b1f.jpg

Of course, in order to save a few pennies, they don't publish or pass out written rules anymore.

Now, it's left to the inconsistent discretion of the Rangers, maintenance workers, or whoever what is and is not allowed.

I believe that the official policy is do whatever you want.  If something bothers you, you can call the front desk, and they will offer to move you, or they will send out a series of castmembers in trucks and vans to observe the situation and do nothing.

TCD

I think that was about 3 years ago, just before the "decoration lights out at 10:00 PM" debacle.

That was our first year at the Fort for Halloween and I vaguely remember getting a flyer about family friendly.  The next year I don't remember getting anything except the 10 PM rule.

19 hours ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

We were in the 900 loop last year and there was a group there that decided to turn it in to a "haunted loop" They had some decorations out that were more "universal like" and people to jump out and scare you. It was neat to see (the first time) but I'm glad they were on the other side of the loop from us. It appeared they had a half dozen or so out in costume scaring people.

Ahh... see, that would have been bad for our kiddos :(    We are considering halloween for next year, but we're still giving it some thought.  If we do go, we'll make sure the scope out some loops and pray that there are a couple that are really family friendly.

11 minutes ago, DLMickey said:

When do the campsites decorate for Halloween.  Is it only near Halloween or the month of October or is it earlier?  We are arriving on September 9 to October 6 and I was just wondering if we should bring some decorations with us.

Welcome!

The only Halloween decorations at Fort Wilderness are those provided by each camper.  There will be some decorations in September, especially on weekends.  The decorations will come and go with the campers who bring them.  By October, things will be cranked up, and the amount of decorations will build right up to Halloween.

September 9th is not too early to start.

TCD

Thanks for clarifying that each site is decorated by the individual camper.  I guess we will bring some decorations since we will be there for almost a month!  This is the first time we will camp at the Fort and we are really looking forward to the experience.  We have been campers since the early 2000's and we come to WDW often but this is the first time we have combined the two.  I'm predicting it will become a new tradition.

51 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Oh mercy... we'll be there in October... I think I'll put up Christmas decorations :P

Do you realize that this year's first Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party will be hosted at the Magic Kingdom on this Friday night, August 25th?  The MK will have all of its Halloween decorations up.  There will be campers at the Fort doing the same.

TCD

52 minutes ago, DLMickey said:

Thanks for clarifying that each site is decorated by the individual camper.  I guess we will bring some decorations since we will be there for almost a month!  This is the first time we will camp at the Fort and we are really looking forward to the experience.  We have been campers since the early 2000's and we come to WDW often but this is the first time we have combined the two.  I'm predicting it will become a new tradition.

A super fun time to go to the Fort!!  I'm predicting your prediction is correct. ;)

Oh and WELCOME to Fort Fiends!!

38 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Do you realize that this year's first Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party will be hosted at the Magic Kingdom on this Friday night, August 25th?  The MK will have all of its Halloween decorations up.  There will be campers at the Fort doing the same.

TCD

I saw this on the instagrams today: 

For you early decorators, Lowes,  HD, Dollar Tree, some Wal-Marts all have new Halloween decorations out.

Lowes has a swirling Nightmare Before Christmas projector like the Mickey Head Christmas one from last year.  I'm thinking it's for Halloween.

There was a FB post of a Lowes in NH that already has the Disney Christmas decorations on display and for sale!

1 hour ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

Ugh.

Too soon.

On the other hand, the TCD twins are pumped about the first MNSSHP.  They will both be working at the MK on Friday.  Twin #2 landed a "treat shift," which means she will be passing out candy at one of the trick-or-treat stations.  She gives out extra candy to Fiends, BTW.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

August... wow.  But, if people buy tickets, I guess it doesn't surprise me.

1 hour ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

Wow... that seems so early.  September (for fall decorations) make sense to me as Christmas decorations usually start in November so you have Sept/October for fall decorations.  

15 minutes ago, Travisma said:

For you early decorators, Lowes,  HD, Dollar Tree, some Wal-Marts all have new Halloween decorations out.

Lowes has a swirling Nightmare Before Christmas projector like the Mickey Head Christmas one from last year.  I'm thinking it's for Halloween.

There was a FB post of a Lowes in NH that already has the Disney Christmas decorations on display and for sale!

Yep.  Hobby Lobby brought out Christmas decorations in July :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, keith_h said:

You mean you actually take yours down?

Haha... typically, yes.  However, I went crazy last year buying after Christmas lights, so no promises this year :lol:   

Truly, no joke....Walmart had boxes of their larger (not the tiny twinkle lights) LED bulbs for $1.40/box.  I left with an entire basket full!    I think the neighbors will see our house this year:P

12 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

We say Mickey inflatables with santa hats at the Fort in May this year! So they were either really late or really early! 

You know, I kind-of get that though.... I mean, where else are you going to put up your Disney inflatables?  I think if we had one, we might put it up as well :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2017 at 0:57 PM, Helmsey......Todd said:

I'd be kicking ass and taking names. It's Disney, for goodness sake! What if they jumped out and scared someone with a heart problem? 

My son has PTSD, along with traumatic brain injuries, but looks like an average adult. If someone were to scare him and make him fall and hit his head or something, they may end up with similar injuries. I wouldn't even be playing with people like that.