Arriving the night before "Check-In" / Places to stay

Greetings everyone,

I'm considering arriving in the WDW/Orlando area the night prior to "Check-in".  I'll be towing my camper but I do not necessarily want to stay in a campground and set up only to move the next morning. I'll be traveling I-95 to I-4 and be willing to stay up to an hour or so from the Fort.  Does anyone have a recommendation at either a hotel/motel with ample RV Parking or a campground I could pull in and stay connected (5th Wheel).  I'm only driving from SC but I don't want to be exhausted when I arrive at the Fort.  Two additional questions: (1) If I arrive prior to "Check-in" will I just be directed to the overflow lot until space is available? (2) How early can I arrive?

41 minutes ago, DLMickey said:

Greetings everyone,

I'm considering arriving in the WDW/Orlando area the night prior to "Check-in".  I'll be towing my camper but I do not necessarily want to stay in a campground and set up only to move the next morning. I'll be traveling I-95 to I-4 and be willing to stay up to an hour or so from the Fort.  Does anyone have a recommendation at either a hotel/motel with ample RV Parking or a campground I could pull in and stay connected (5th Wheel).  I'm only driving from SC but I don't want to be exhausted when I arrive at the Fort.  Two additional questions: (1) If I arrive prior to "Check-in" will I just be directed to the overflow lot until space is available? (2) How early can I arrive?

Fl rest areas allow for 3 hours of parking.  If you don't set up your camper you might be able to stay longer.

This is from the DOT website and an RV site

Each facility is protected by security personnel during evening and nighttime hours. Most of the rest areas provide family restrooms for travelers who may need companion assistance to make use of the facilities. The facilities in our Welcome Centers and Interstate Rest Areas are open and maintained 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for your comfort and convenience. The State of Florida's Welcome Centers, Rest Areas and Turnpike Service Plazas are generally equipped with phones for use by travelers in case of emergency. Overnight camping is not permitted, but visitors may stay for up to three hours.

No for Florida is correct. That being said, I have never seen anyone being told to leave because there 3 hours was up. Never heard of anyone getting a ticket either

The official policy at Fort Wilderness is that there is no overnighting in the Fort Wilderness overflow parking lot.  If that wasn't the policy, we'd all be over there getting a free stay.

That said, there are reports from guests who were shown mercy after arriving late at night before their check-in day, and were allowed to stay in the overflow lot.  But, there are also reports of guests being told to hit the road and come back in the morning. 

The problem is, if you are given the boot at 1 am, where are you going to go? Why take that risk for yourself or your family?

If you arrive at 6 am or after on your check-in day, you're good to go.  I'd plan for that .

TCD

Thanks for the rest area alternative. I thought about rest areas but it was extremely helpful to see the policy. 

Also, thanks for the Fort Wilderness policy.  I should have been more specific but I wasn't going to try to spend the night there.  Even though I did not know the policy I assumed it would not be available until the AM.  It was very helpful to see a morning time when I would not be "given the boot."  My family will probably travel the day of check in so I would be alone; however, it would be nice to have the camper set when they arrive.  They could go to the parks and I could go to sleep.

1 hour ago, DLMickey said:

Greetings everyone,

Greetings,

I've never done what your thinking but there are hundreds of hotels all around WDW so I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem finding one with ample parking.

I know there are others on here that travel down from your direction and can suggest some campgrounds with pull thru spots.

Yes if you arrive on the day of and your spot is not available yet they will direct you to the overflow lot.

Good luck

WBI