Don't know if any fiends like to read, I go through 3-4 books a week, at my age not a whole lot more to do, and especially enjoy books about Florida. I found one that anyone interested in Florida Keys will enjoy. It is titled Charlotte's Story, a Florida Keys Diary. It is about a couple that go to live on Elliot Key in the 1930s. Very interesting and a true story that will give a view of how wild South Florida used to be. You can still get on Amazome, it is out of print and was never printed in a large number but anyone interested in Florida History should read it. Tom

Sounds like a good book, I'll have to look into getting it. 

I have a series of books (that I have read multiple times) by Eugenia Price. They are historical fiction but largely based on real people and events with some of the fill in day to day things (all historically correct for the time periods) and a couple of characters added to pull things or groups together more. 

Maria- is the first book in the Florida trilogy and is about the oldest house in St. Augustine, you can still go tour the house. 

Don Juan McQueen - is the second

Margaret's story- is the third. 

There is a website that list the order you should read them in which is the order I listed them in, you can't go by print date she wrote some of them out of order. The Florida trilogy then ties into the Georgia quartet, Savannah trilogy, and St Simons Trilogy. They are all at least in my opinion great books, they draw you in and make you feel like you really know the families and see them through generations. The thing I like most as a history buff is you can go to a lot of the places in the books, wander the cemetery on St Simons and see the headstones of the people you've read about. They start pre revolution and go right through the civil war. You don't have to read them all but the do tie into each other through extended families or friends. My grandmother had purchased and read them all, I wasn't much of a reader but wanted to go to St Augustine so my mother told me to read them first, once I started I couldn't put them down. I find it makes me appreciate the places the stories take place more, like a connection to the place, "oh look we are in this street, remember in the book this happened here" sort of thing. 

I still love to read, but life frequently gets in the way.  My family thinks putting reading on my vacation "must do" list is insane, but for me it is perfect for a quiet day on the campsite. I read a lot of historical fiction as a child, but have strayed away from it as an adult, but I am putting these on book list.  The non-fiction book is going on the list too - I find the that time period fascinating.  Thanks for the recommendations.

10 hours ago, Beckers said:

I used to love to read, then I had kids. Now if I try to read I wake up when I get a book to the face or hear it hit the ground ?

LOL.

I remember those days. I'm back to being able to read whenever I like, and you will get back there one day.  In the meantime- read to your kids as much as you can, even when they're old enough to read on their own.  It makes a big difference.

Tom- great idea for a thread. I have never heard of the Charlotte's Story book, but I'm going to hunt down a copy.  It sounds like a book that I would like.

TCD

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

LOL.

I remember those days. I'm back to being able to read whenever I like, and you will get back there one day.  In the meantime- read to your kids as much as you can, even when they're old enough to read on their own.  It makes a big difference.

Tom- great idea for a thread. I have never heard of the Charlotte's Story book, but I'm going to hunt down a copy.  It sounds like a book that I would like.

TCD

You can find it on amazon, make sure you get the right one, there is another with the same title. Make sure it is about the Keys.

13 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I saw it on Amazon- but apparently there's no Kindle version available. 

TCD

No Kindle version, only in paper. It was a small release and sometimes hard to find, I have probably bought and give away 10 or more.

15 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I have a series of books (that I have read multiple times) by Eugenia Price. They are historical fiction but largely based on real people and events with some of the fill in day to day things (all historically correct for the time periods) and a couple of characters added to pull things or groups together more. 

Maria- is the first book in the Florida trilogy and is about the oldest house in St. Augustine, you can still go tour the house. 

There is a website that list the order you should read them in which is the order I listed them in, you can't go by print date she wrote some of them out of order. The Florida trilogy then ties into the Georgia quartet, Savannah trilogy, and St Simons Trilogy. They are all at least in my opinion great books, they draw you in and make you feel like you really know the families and see them through generations. The thing I like most as a history buff is you can go to a lot of the places in the books, wander the cemetery on St Simons and see the headstones of the people you've read about. They start pre revolution and go right through the civil war. You don't have to read them all but the do tie into each other through extended families or friends. My grandmother had purchased and read them all, I wasn't much of a reader but wanted to go to St Augustine so my mother told me to read them first, once I started I couldn't put them down. I find it makes me appreciate the places the stories take place more, like a connection to the place, "oh look we are in this street, remember in the book this happened here" sort of thing. 

I have read the Savannah Quartet - 4 wonderful books.  When we went to Savannah I made my family go to the small cemetery and hunt head stones with me.  ( loved them so much that I found all 4 i hardback at local book sale and have them in hardback and paperback)

I will have to look into the Florida Trilogy - as the Savannah books are some of my favorite.

For readers that like FL stories, there is a science fiction (hopefully doesn't become fact) one that's been around since 1959.

I've read it a couple of times.  Gets better with each reading

Alas, Babylon  is a 1959 novel by American writer Pat Frank (the pen name of Harry Hart Frank)[1] It was one of the first apocalyptic novels of the nuclear age and has remained popular more than half century after it was first published, consistently ranking in Amazon.com's Top 20 Science Fiction Short Stories list (which groups together short story collections and novels)[2] and has an entry in David Pringle's book Science Fiction: The 100 Best Novels. The novel deals with the effects of a nuclear war on the fictional small town of Fort Repose, Florida, which is based upon the actual city of Mount Dora, Florida.[3] The novel's title is derived from the Book of Revelation"Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come." The cover art for the Bantam paperback edition was made by Robert Hunt.

6 minutes ago, Travisma said:

For readers that like FL stories, there is a science fiction (hopefully doesn't become fact) one that's been around since 1959.

I've read it a couple of times.  Gets better with each reading

Alas, Babylon  is a 1959 novel by American writer Pat Frank (the pen name of Harry Hart Frank)[1] It was one of the first apocalyptic novels of the nuclear age and has remained popular more than half century after it was first published, consistently ranking in Amazon.com's Top 20 Science Fiction Short Stories list (which groups together short story collections and novels)[2] and has an entry in David Pringle's book Science Fiction: The 100 Best Novels. The novel deals with the effects of a nuclear war on the fictional small town of Fort Repose, Florida, which is based upon the actual city of Mount Dora, Florida.[3] The novel's title is derived from the Book of Revelation"Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come." The cover art for the Bantam paperback edition was made by Robert Hunt.

I read that book in 1959, still have it and am about 1/2 through it now. started reading it again last night. It is available for E-book, I have it on my Kindle

If you like action fiction, Wayne Stinett has a series set in the Keys,  the fallen series, First One is Fallen out and there is a series building on the same characters. Set in middle Keys and is very entertaining reading. Of course I like anything set in Florida even the Travis Magee series.

6 hours ago, Mrs.TN22 said:

I have read the Savannah Quartet - 4 wonderful books.  When we went to Savannah I made my family go to the small cemetery and hunt head stones with me.  ( loved them so much that I found all 4 i hardback at local book sale and have them in hardback and paperback)

I will have to look into the Florida Trilogy - as the Savannah books are some of my favorite.

I was lucky enough that my grandma bought most of them as they came out. But there were a couple she missed, I found one at a local library and another they borrowed from another library in town. I think you can find them on Amazon in paper form not digital.

• 3 months later...

Here are a couple I have that are coming available next week for Kindle. Both are the first in a series and Should start with Fallen series first. Fallen Out is the first in the series and will be available on Dec. 23 for only .99.  Merciless Charity going to be available for free at the same time. You can find the details on Wayne Stinnett facebook page on the 23.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:19 PM, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I have read the St. Simons trilogy and the Savannah trilogy but not the Florida trilogy or the Georgia quartet.  Will have to look for those.  Thanks for the recommendations.